The question "ardent gunners" won't answer.

Duck and cover
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

The question "ardent gunners" won't answer.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:04 pm

Well, they will reply, but they won't answer:

If you carry a gun because you don't trust people, why should we trust you with a gun?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Re: The question "ardent gunners" won't answer.

Postby JO 753 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:34 pm

The predictable ansr woud be 'wen I shoot a bad guy for you, you'll chanje your tune.'
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:37 pm

JO 753 wrote:The predictable ansr woud be 'wen I shoot a bad guy for you, you'll chanje your tune.'

Wonderful, we can tell the cops to go home. But I want to know how I'm supposed to believe some random stranger has the judgment to shoot when appropriate while he's packing heat in places where it's not appropriate.

They don't care if we trust them when it comes down to it, they're stuck in the Wild, Wild West mode, centuries after it wasn't even like that then.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:43 pm

JO 753 wrote:The predictable ansr woud be 'wen I shoot a bad guy for you, you'll chanje your tune.'

Trouble is, they never shoot the bad guys I want them to shoot.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:09 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:

You mean when they're alone and have downed a bottle of Jack and the world just seems too ugly to go on? That guy? :twisted:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:11 pm

Excellent question.....but like moves on the Chessboard, I am now ready to say: Its not about trust one way or the other but rather about rights. The constitution and court decisions have made this into a personal right to own and have guns.

.....and now we are on to our third game to break the tie.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:06 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:

You mean when they're alone and have downed a bottle of Jack and the world just seems too ugly to go on? That guy? :twisted:

Those guys, though I wouldn't limit it to bad guys drinking alone, as long as their companions were like minded bad guys too.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:19 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:

Those guys, though I wouldn't limit it to bad guys drinking alone, as long as their companions were like minded bad guys too.

I know bars where a "click" would cause a holocaust, but if I go into Wal-mart or Target and some guy gets his toes run over by Mama June I don't want to have to trust him to not open fire. This country is not, officially at least, a combat zone.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:29 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:

I know bars where a "click" would cause a holocaust, but if I go into Wal-mart or Target and some guy gets his toes run over by Mama June I don't want to have to trust him to not open fire. This country is not, officially at least, a combat zone.

You're not as bad as Syria. Not yet - but from here, it kinda looks like you're slowly headed that way.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:37 pm

Ideally, the problem will solv itself if you giv them completely unrestricted use.

In Dirty Harry'z, a gun themed bar:

"Keep yer elbow off my part uv the bar"

"O ye?" BLAM
"Rite in my ear, you moron!" BLAM
"That wuz my BFF!" BLAM
"He wuz my brother!" BLAM
"You made me miss my throw!" BLAM
"That guy owed me money! Now howz he gunnu pay?" BLAM
"That guy owed ME! BLAM
BLAM "Guhuk! I just wanted to shoot sumwun. Alwayz had a hankerin. Figured I aint makin it outa here alive anyway. "
"Well, youre rite." BLAM
"The law sez you gotta hav a good reazon!" BLAM
"Shuddup with yer goldang lawyer tok!" BLAM
"That wuz the bartender, you ijit!" BLAM
"I like your Harley." BLAM "Now its mine!"
"Not fer long!" BLAM
"Funny," BLAM BLAM BLAM "I can feel the kick and see the flash, but I dont hear nuthin. Iz it workiBLAM
"Just me. I win!" BLAM (aksidently shoots himself wile putting it into hiz shoulder holster)
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Postby ElectricMonk » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:41 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I know bars where a "click" would cause a holocaust, but if I go into Wal-mart or Target and some guy gets his toes run over by Mama June I don't want to have to trust him to not open fire. This country is not, officially at least, a combat zone.

What?

DMZ doesn't stand for Downtown Militarized Zone?
"'I don't know what I was doing wrong, but I promise I won't do it again."
- Daddy Pig

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:45 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:Trouble is, they never shoot the bad guys I want them to shoot.

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:You mean when they're alone and have downed a bottle of Jack and the world just seems too ugly to go on? That guy? :twisted:

OlegTheBatty wrote:Those guys, though I wouldn't limit it to bad guys drinking alone, as long as their companions were like minded bad guys too.

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I know bars where a "click" would cause a holocaust, but if I go into Wal-mart or Target and some guy gets his toes run over by Mama June I don't want to have to trust him to not open fire. This country is not, officially at least, a combat zone.

OlegTheBatty wrote:You're not as bad as Syria. Not yet - but from here, it kinda looks like you're slowly headed that way.

The subset of "I have a gun, I must be right!!!" is still overblown in the media, but it could go downhill quickly if the Gay Old Party gets control of Congress and the White House.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:05 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

OlegTheBatty wrote:Trouble is, they never shoot the bad guys I want them to shoot.

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:You mean when they're alone and have downed a bottle of Jack and the world just seems too ugly to go on? That guy? :twisted:

OlegTheBatty wrote:Those guys, though I wouldn't limit it to bad guys drinking alone, as long as their companions were like minded bad guys too.

OlegTheBatty wrote:You're not as bad as Syria. Not yet - but from here, it kinda looks like you're slowly headed that way.

The subset of "I have a gun, I must be right!!!" is still overblown in the media, but it could go downhill quickly if the Gay Old Party gets control of Congress and the White House.

The gun stuff is part of it - but mainly it is the increasing divisiveness. That looks like it will continue no matter who wins the elections.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:14 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:The subset of "I have a gun, I must be right!!!" is still overblown in the media, but it could go downhill quickly if the Gay Old Party gets control of Congress and the White House.

OlegTheBatty wrote:The gun stuff is part of it - but mainly it is the increasing divisiveness. That looks like it will continue no matter who wins the elections.

I live here. We get along fine. Reading the internet will make you think otherwise, but the vast majority of people are ignored in those reports because they're not doing anything sensational.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:36 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I live here. We get along fine. Reading the internet will make you think otherwise, but the vast majority of people are ignored in those reports because they're not doing anything sensational.

That isn't the divisiveness I'm talking about. I'm talking about the divisiveness that the Tea Party, and The Donald are tapping into and encouraging for their own gain. They are not causing it, but they are making it acceptable to greater and greater numbers. The stuff the media reports is largely meaningless. Mass shootings, for example, are symptomatic of an individual's mental instability, not societal chaos.

That kind of divisiveness is not usually noticeable at the neighborhood BBQ.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:42 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I live here. We get along fine. Reading the internet will make you think otherwise, but the vast majority of people are ignored in those reports because they're not doing anything sensational.

That isn't the divisiveness I'm talking about. I'm talking about the divisiveness that the Tea Party, and The Donald are tapping into and encouraging for their own gain. They are not causing it, but they are making it acceptable to greater and greater numbers. The stuff the media reports is largely meaningless. Mass shootings, for example, are symptomatic of an individual's mental instability, not societal chaos.

The GOP is desperate to get rid of the TPers, but they're afraid the schism would render them moot.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:57 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:The gun stuff is part of it - but mainly it is the increasing divisiveness. That looks like it will continue no matter who wins the elections.

I think youre rite.

I'v lost 2 regular customerz thanks to Trump. They were alredy GoPs and Christian Bleevrz, but still gave me machining work. Sins Trump began leading them farther and farther away frum reality - nothing. They refuze to look at anything that mite show theyve been lied to.

Therez no way they will ever crawl back and say 'you were rite JO, I got tricked by a con man.'
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:00 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:

The GOP is desperate to get rid of the TPers, but they're afraid the schism would render them moot.

It would for a while, but only for a while. The will always be a significant number of conservatives.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:21 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:

It would for a while, but only for a while. The will always be a significant number of conservatives.

TP isn't conservative, it's radical.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:54 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:

That's why the conservatives need to rebuild their party, even if it means less power for a while.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:27 pm

What? Nobody gets shot at your BBQs? How boooring. :mrgreen:

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:37 pm

TJrandom wrote:What? Nobody gets shot at your BBQs? How boooring. :mrgreen:

Didn't say no shooting, said no divisiveness. The people at my BBQ's are united in their love of shooting each other. :mrgreen:

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:42 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
TJrandom wrote:What? Nobody gets shot at your BBQs? How boooring. :mrgreen:

Didn't say no shooting, said no divisiveness. The people at my BBQ's are united in their love of shooting each other. :mrgreen:

Oh, I see... comrades in arms, shooting each other while they wash down dead cow with piss beer. Need to get these BBQs kicked off in Texas… Oh, wait…. :twisted:

DWSmith

Postby DWSmith » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:26 pm

I don't even know where to begin asking questions about this thread. Surely it's so absurd because it's completely done in jest.

:)

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:45 pm

Flee to humor when the heat's on.

Paul Anthony
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: The other god

Postby Paul Anthony » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:30 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:

Yeah, so was the original Tea Party. :)
People who say ALWAYS and NEVER are usually wrong, part of the time.
Science answers questions, Philosophy questions answers.
Make sense, not war.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:44 pm

Paulie Boy: do you think your post means "anything" other than an infinity for labels totally devoid of the underlying realities?

IOW: even if we grant that both TP's were "radical" in their time and place does that mean they are the same at all for any other issue of relevance? Do you? That is the equation you set up and its TOTALLY STOOOOOPID. i say stooooooopid so that you might understand what I'm saying. Saying its false would be incomprehensible to you.

Here's the easiest divide for you to agree with: First TP==1773. Current TP==2009. Do you think at all there might be different issues/motivations/EFFECTS involved?

Here's another too easy divider for you: first TP= against a foreign power. current TP==against domestic issues. BIG difference.

....................... and on and on. Does you knee ever get sore from the repetitive jerking?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:58 pm

Paul Anthony wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:

Yeah, so was the original Tea Party. :)

Yep, they were protesting a tax levied to pay for the troops that were protecting them from the French and Indians. :roll:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:13 pm

Gawd: interesting tidbit you add there. My recollection missed that detail......to the degree it is true. I assume then as now taxes are levied for the general treasury and spent as desired but sold on whatever issues are thought to be popular? Nothing changes, except for the tune of the dog whistles.

Fab Yolis
Frequent Poster

Postby Fab Yolis » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:03 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Well, they will reply, but they won't answer:

If you carry a gun because you don't trust people, why should we trust you with a gun?

If you get training in martial arts because you don't trust people, why should we trust you with training in martial arts?

If you don't trust me with a gun, why should you trust policemen/soldiers/other hired goons with guns? Especially if policemen/soldiers/other hired goons are the only ones who have them?

Both I and the other person have a gun: mutual deterrence.
Only I have a gun: I have the power/deterrence advantage over the other person.
Only the other person has a gun: the other person has the power/deterrence advantage over me.
Neither I nor the other person have a gun: we both have a power/deterrence disadvantage to the next armed guy who inevitably comes along.
"A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes."
- Mark Twain

The Terrifying Brilliance of the Islamic Memeplex

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:36 am

Venerable Kwan Tam Woo wrote:If you don't trust me with a gun, why should you trust policemen/soldiers/other hired goons with guns? Especially if policemen/soldiers/other hired goons are the only ones who have them?

I dont. Police in the main should not have guns. Only special units rarely called. Given the system in the USA, what cops need are social workers. Catching criminals is more about data collection and analysis, computers that talk to each other, and so forth. Guns.... just kill people.

Fab Yolis
Frequent Poster

Postby Fab Yolis » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:01 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Venerable Kwan Tam Woo wrote:If you don't trust me with a gun, why should you trust policemen/soldiers/other hired goons with guns? Especially if policemen/soldiers/other hired goons are the only ones who have them?

I dont. Police in the main should not have guns. Only special units rarely called.

"Special units rarely called"? What does that mean? How are they "special", how "rarely" are they called, and who has the power to call them? What about them being "special units rarely called" makes them more trustworthy than regular police, especially given that the power differential in your proposed scenario would be even more acute?

Given the system in the USA, what cops need are social workers. Catching criminals is more about data collection and analysis, computers that talk to each other, and so forth. Guns.... just kill people.

No, people kill people. And they're more likely to kill other people who don't have guns to defend themselves.
"A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes."
- Mark Twain

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:17 pm

Venerable

Here in NZ, police do not normally carry guns, but we have a special unit, called the Armed Offenders Squad, which is called in when a criminal has a gun. The squad is made up of an elite, who are very highly trained, and are most especially trained NOT to shoot, unless it is an absolute last resort. Mostly they talk criminals into giving up.

Of course, here in NZ, we have stricter gun laws, and most especially against hand guns. The biggest gun problem in the USA is hand guns. It staggers me that (from FBI statistics) 4,000 people a year are shot dead in the USA when the guy the victim is arguing with turns out to have a hand gun in his back pocket, and pulls it out to shoot dead the person he argues with.

In Britain, as well as NZ, most police do not carry guns. Most of the time, guns are not needed.

Fab Yolis
Frequent Poster

Postby Fab Yolis » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:14 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Here in NZ >SNIP<

I already explained to you in another thread why NZ's situation re: guns and political power is irrelevant.

The biggest gun problem in the USA is hand guns. It staggers me that (from FBI statistics) 4,000 people a year are shot dead in the USA when the guy the victim is arguing with turns out to have a hand gun in his back pocket, and pulls it out to shoot dead the person he argues with.

Pulling numbers out of your ass again, are you?

In Britain, as well as NZ, most police do not carry guns. Most of the time, guns are not needed.

Just so long as you stay out of No-Go Zones and/or live in a country where most of the population are docile domesticated cucks.
- Mark Twain

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:26 am

Venerable

I told you that the figure of 4000 per year was FBI stats. As a matter of fact, they were published in Skeptic magazine, on a very good article on gun control.

I am very happy to live in a 'docile' country, where we do not face idiots carrying hand guns in their back pockets. It is you Americans I feel sorry for. With 100,000 people getting a bullet through some part of their anatomy each year, (excluding suicide) it is easy to calculate that one person in 50 will be shot (probably wounded) some time in their lives. 2% casualties of guns is way too high.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:55 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:Venerable

I told you that the figure of 4000 per year was FBI stats. As a matter of fact, they were published in Skeptic magazine, on a very good article on gun control.

I am very happy to live in a 'docile' country, where we do not face idiots carrying hand guns in their back pockets. It is you Americans I feel sorry for. With 100,000 people getting a bullet through some part of their anatomy each year, (excluding suicide) it is easy to calculate that one person in 50 will be shot (probably wounded) some time in their lives. 2% casualties of guns is way too high.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... eople-die/

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:32 pm

Well done, Gawd. Those are good statistics. For those unwilling to open the reference, self defense as an excuse for making guns readily available is a crap reason, since for even one time a criminal is killed in a "justifiable" killing with a gun, there are 34 criminal homicides using guns.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:23 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Well, they will reply, but they won't answer:

This is a strawman

For starters, you don't have to trust me, you have to deal with my right to own and carry, until you get that pesky amendment stricken.

I don't carry a gun because I don't trust people, but rather that there is evidence that there is a small chance that I may need one. Around my property, that includes coyotes, raccoons, bear, and even wild dogs. And a 6'4 bastard that did try to force his way into my house. But mostly I trust that the majority of people aren't out to get me or my family.

I carry a lighter, and I don't smoke, because it's sometimes useful. And I carry a gun, because it's sometimes useful. I carry a knife, a multi tool, and a flashlight. They're often useful. Hence me calling your strawman.

I also really like shooting. I shoot at paper and steel targets for fun. I enjoy it. If I have to shoot an animal, I really don't like it at all. But I'll do it if I have to. Your question doesn't get an answer, because it's not a genuine question. It's an accusation. You didn't ask me if I carried a gun because I didn't trust people, you assumed.

And I also remember you telling me you have a 9mm Berretta under your desk, and supposedly prefer a sword for defense.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:37 am

BS, why would I trust you with a gun?

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:44 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:BS, why would I trust you with a gun?

I don't give a {!#%@} if you do, and I told you why you don't get an answer. It's a BS question that assumes a an unspoken premise. Why should I trust you behind the wheel when you have anger issues? And seemingly think I don't remember {!#%@} you have said. So, perhaps you have dementia.

My point is, my assumptions of you are just as valid, or invalid as yours about me.

Return to “Guns”