A Revolt Against Deference

Weird things people do.
Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4832
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

A Revolt Against Deference

Postby Tom Palven » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:09 pm

Found this article by Frank Furedi in Spiked News to be interesting.
http://www.spiked-online.com/spiked-rev ... OI5lvWcGUk

If a picture is worth 1,000 words, here are thousands of words on deference:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ge ... &FORM=IGRE
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19792
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: A Revolt Against Deference

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:22 pm

Not going to give us a reason to chase those links?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4832
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: A Revolt Against Deference

Postby Tom Palven » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:50 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Not going to give us a reason to chase those links?


I said that I found the link interesting.

If that's not enough reason for you or anyone else to make the less-than-Herculean effort to click on the link, then that's just the way it is and I won't lose any sleep over it.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19792
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: A Revolt Against Deference

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Tom Palven wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Not going to give us a reason to chase those links?


I said that I found the link interesting.

If that's not enough reason for you or anyone else to make the less-than-Herculean effort to click on the link, then that's just the way it is and I won't lose any sleep over it.

You don't sell it much.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Cadmusteeth
Regular Poster
Posts: 974
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:43 pm
Location: Colorado, USA

Re: A Revolt Against Deference

Postby Cadmusteeth » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:32 pm

I'm skeptical as to how interesting it actually is. I go by experiance that just placing some link out and saying it's interesting, does not actually generate interest.

User avatar
Nobrot
Poster
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:59 pm

Re: A Revolt Against Deference

Postby Nobrot » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:22 pm

I'm not entirely sure what deference is, so I'll go with the consensus.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19793
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: A Revolt Against Deference

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:05 am

FAKE MEANING!
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:38 pm
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer
Location: Norway

Re: A Revolt Against Deference

Postby OutOfBreath » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:15 am

Skimmed the start of it. Vaguely interesting but a bit too postmodern to me. More interested in attacking elites and their stretching of truth than establishing what truth would be. Pataphrased: "Since truth is relative and they have power what is claimed as truth is only their truth". I find such reasoning problematic and symptomatic for the state of things.

Peace
Dan
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4832
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: A Revolt Against Deference

Postby Tom Palven » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:15 pm

OutOfBreath wrote:Skimmed the start of it. Vaguely interesting but a bit too postmodern to me. More interested in attacking elites and their stretching of truth than establishing what truth would be. Pataphrased: "Since truth is relative and they have power what is claimed as truth is only their truth". I find such reasoning problematic and symptomatic for the state of things.

Peace
Dan


The problem as I see it is that the CIA and other secret police invent the truth at the behest of the State Dept. and Deep State, toadies at the Associated Press and other MSM print it as the truth, and even so-called skeptics and anti-war activists defer to the powers-that-be and accept their version of truth.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11063
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: A Revolt Against Deference

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:21 pm

TP: I wasn't interested in the link until your last post.

EVERY SINGLE FRICKING POST HERE is made because the author thinks it/he is "interesting." So..... WHY is it interesting if you have any interest in having an interesting discussion rather than a collective huzza from those you think should follow you just because you say so.

Ego much?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4832
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: A Revolt Against Deference

Postby Tom Palven » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:01 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:TP: I wasn't interested in the link until your last post.

EVERY SINGLE FRICKING POST HERE is made because the author thinks it/he is "interesting." So..... WHY is it interesting if you have any interest in having an interesting discussion rather than a collective huzza from those you think should follow you just because you say so.

Ego much?


This isn't about me, Bobbo. How about we just discuss the issue?

Joel Whitney, a guy with extraordinary credentials, makes the case in Finks that there aren't two CIAs, one that cares about Human Trafficking and widows and orphans, and another that specializes in disinformation and in killing emerging democracies and their leaders and creating widows and orphans; that there is just one CIA with one control freak agenda.

That's the subject at hand. If you want to drink Deep State Kool-Aid or tell me why Whitney and Frank Furedi are wrong, go ahead, but why try to deflect the issue and make it all about me?
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11063
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: A Revolt Against Deference

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:47 pm

agggh! More either/or (thinking/presentation) to hide the (real/other) issues.

Initially, you posted a link which is meaningless by itself. Then the only substantive writing added was that it was "interesting" which in context can only mean "interesting to yourself." So.... on this evicence/presentation alone, how is this post about anything other than YOUR appreciation of whatever the link is about?

See the VALUE of providing the desired CONTEXT to OP's?

Anyway.....still not having read the link......I already know its wrong/fabricated/not but artifice along the either/or fallacy intro'd above. Could it be the CIA does many and varied things...... even more than two? "In reality"..... its unavoidable, for such is the complexity of life. xxxxxxx Ha, ha......I do crack myself up. Just reread your post for the accuracy of my analysis and see that I am 100% wrong and right at the same time. Ain't that something?

Well, we all know the CIA "by definition" is only ONE organization. Your op identifies two shards in nice contrapose. Such symmetry always a construct with its truth in poetry, not fact. Given this analysis, any label that includes both activities will be rather................................................. "useless?" Pick any label you want: it won't work, so any analysis after that is purely word play or wholly irrelevant. What is control freakish about "caring" about widows and orphans?

Makes no sense.

Tell us more about yourself.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4832
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: A Revolt Against Deference

Postby Tom Palven » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:14 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Tell us more about yourself.


As I said, it's not about me, Bobbo.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11063
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: A Revolt Against Deference

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:21 am

TP: you go for the punch line to a joke?

Tsk, tsk....... "What we have here is, failure to engage."

But, I'll drop it now and since you did not respond to anything substantive, I'll wait for anyone else to push your interests forward.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:38 pm
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer
Location: Norway

Re: A Revolt Against Deference

Postby OutOfBreath » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:32 pm

Tom Palven wrote:The problem as I see it is that the CIA and other secret police invent the truth at the behest of the State Dept. and Deep State, toadies at the Associated Press and other MSM print it as the truth, and even so-called skeptics and anti-war activists defer to the powers-that-be and accept their version of truth.

You seem to complain about "spin". Something to factor into everything you hear, and a problem as old as politics itself.

I dont see that as sufficient cause to go full "all truth is subjective and relative". (a favoured stratagem by russian authorities these days. Oh and Trump of course)

Peace
Dan
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4832
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: A Revolt Against Deference

Postby Tom Palven » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:58 pm

OutOfBreath wrote:
Tom Palven wrote:The problem as I see it is that the CIA and other secret police invent the truth at the behest of the State Dept. and Deep State, toadies at the Associated Press and other MSM print it as the truth, and even so-called skeptics and anti-war activists defer to the powers-that-be and accept their version of truth.

You seem to complain about "spin". Something to factor into everything you hear, and a problem as old as politics itself.

I dont see that as sufficient cause to go full "all truth is subjective and relative". (a favoured stratagem by russian authorities these days. Oh and Trump of course)

Peace
Dan



I don't know how I gave the impression that I believe that "all truth is subjective and relative" because I believe the opposite, and I think that the authors I cited do, too.

Facts are facts. Evolution is no more just a theory than the Earth revolving around the Sun is just a theory.

When I say that the CIA invents the truth with its disinformation campaigns I guess I'm just being facetious about the word truth in that context, and I'll try to avoid that in the future.

And I also think that moral relativism is BS; that coercion is unethical, even for "the greater good."
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4832
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: A Revolt Against Deference

Postby Tom Palven » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:53 am

This article on Compliance was written by Glenn Greenwald and published in The Guardian several years ago.

Compliance goes hand-in-hand with deference.

Greenwald may be the greatest enemy of authoritarianism since Murray Rothbard died.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ty-failure
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7631
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: A Revolt Against Deference

Postby TJrandom » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:31 am

Tom Palven wrote:... The problem as I see it is that the CIA and other secret police invent the truth at the behest of the State Dept. and Deep State, toadies at the Associated Press and other MSM print it as the truth, and even so-called skeptics and anti-war activists defer to the powers-that-be and accept their version of truth.


Just your opinion there Tom? Or do you have proof of this `truth invention` by the CIA and `other secret police` at the behest of the State Dept.? That is a rather long chain of actors to keep hidden, so if true there should be rather robust evidence - claims, court cases, etc.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4832
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: A Revolt Against Deference

Postby Tom Palven » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:53 am

TJrandom wrote:
Tom Palven wrote:... The problem as I see it is that the CIA and other secret police invent the truth at the behest of the State Dept. and Deep State, toadies at the Associated Press and other MSM print it as the truth, and even so-called skeptics and anti-war activists defer to the powers-that-be and accept their version of truth.


Just your opinion there Tom? Or do you have proof of this `truth invention` by the CIA and `other secret police` at the behest of the State Dept.? That is a rather long chain of actors to keep hidden, so if true there should be rather robust evidence - claims, court cases, etc.


It wasn't until President Obama acknowledged that the CIA and British MI6 overthrew the only democratically-elected leader and parliament in a Mid-Eastern Muslim country with Operation Ajax that CIA records on the subject were turned over.
http://nsarchive.gwu.edu/NSAEBB/NSAEBB435/

Now, with WikiLeaks and other sources, there are tons of information about the CIA and it's activities by established, credible, authors on the CIA and its activities including its disinformation campaigns, not just my opinion.
You might start with William Blum's Freeing the World to Death.
https://williamblum.org/books/freeing-t ... d-to-death
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire


Return to “Popular Culture”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest