Postby JO 753 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:50 am

In order uv creation:

The Animated Seriez

The Next Generation

Deep Space Nine

Voyager

Enterprize

Discovery (next yir)

On its premier nite, I watched about 20 minits uv TNG, soon realizing it wuz a talk show. The few timez I breifly tuned in over the yirz did nothing to dispell that. Never bothered with any uv the otherz kuz the few bits I'd see wile channel surfing were even lamer - actorz with stuff glued to their fasez yammering about petty crap.

Now, kuz the new movie iz out, the local stationz are rerunning the orijinal seriez in prime time and the spinoffs in early morning. I watched a little uv Enterprize, the wun with Scott Bakula thats a prequel to the Captain Kirk era, and within 10 secondz it wuz clearly the same kind uv zero inspiration hack work. I stuck with it just to see if they dared to spend the entire show on yammering. They did not, but by the time they did get to sum action, it wuz too late to resusitate any interest that anybody coud hav possibly had and they manajd to lamify it anyway. He'z ded, Jim.

In dont no about the cartoon. Its from the 70z, so maybe the riterz werent beset with the lame virus that TNG spred thru the Star Trek TV universe.

I herd from a guy on The Infinity Forum that Voyager wuz the worst. Any True Trekkyz here that watched all the seriez?
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: Star Trek Spinoffs. Wich iz Lamest?

Postby Gord » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:45 am

The lamest was Next Gen, followed by Voyager, then Enterprise, then DS9, and finally the animated series. And I say that as someone who watched almost every episode of them.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:58 am

Like EVERY Star Trek series, they ALL had some great bits and a whole lot of boring bits.

But I agree that Enterprise was a pile of wasted opportunity: the first spaceship should have been tight like a nuclear sub, not more spacious and luxurious than the thing that flew a hundred years later.
Next Gen was trying to give everyone something, which of course was doomed to fail.

But the movies have been consistently ok...
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:08 am

ElectricMonk wrote:But the movies have been consistently ok...

:befuddled:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:23 am

I liked the 1st movie and, at the time, the orijinal crew sequelz. But I got the set on DVD a few yirz back and now they seem mediocre and childish. I think they were the true inspiration for Galaxy Quest rather than the seriez. The Next Generation moviez were better.

Captain Kirk Savez the world! 9 - 5 weekdayz. Saturday by special oppointment only: http://www.nooalf.com/DISTROERx.html
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:26 am

This rendition uv the Voyager theme iz pretty good. Better than the actual show version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAGp-WQHfXo&list=FLo-NQ3_FjzEIJbwLGUJdrZQ&index=4
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:00 am

ElectricMonk wrote:But I agree that Enterprise was a pile of wasted opportunity: the first spaceship should have been tight like a nuclear sub,

I'm with you. The Original Star Trek series was basically a re-working of "Wagon Train" mixed with Captain "Hornblower" into a science fiction environment. I'd go as far as saying half the story lines could have been done as westerns.

I would have preferred it to be more military and "weathered & realistic". If I was "god" and had to reboot the original series after its end in the early 70's, I would have hired the director of "Hill Street Blues" and made it dry, realistic and more "doing routine starship things".

"Gene Roddenberry's original pitch for Star Trek described the ship's proposed hero (Robert April) as a "space-age Captain Horatio Hornblower".

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:07 am

Thats why you shoud never hav anything to do with the production uv a sifi show. It woud get ratingz in negativ numberz!

Haf the advantaj uv sifi iz that you can uze nonexistent teknolojy to amp up the action.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:28 am

JO 753 wrote:Thats why you shoud never hav anything to do with the production uv a sifi show. It woud get ratingz in negativ numberz!

Thanks Jo. That's why I'm crying every time I go to the bank, to deposit royalties for the internationally broadcast science shows I have worked on or supplied music for.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:27 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
ElectricMonk wrote:But I agree that Enterprise was a pile of wasted opportunity: the first spaceship should have been tight like a nuclear sub,

I'm with you. The Original Star Trek series was basically a re-working of "Wagon Train" mixed with Captain "Hornblower" into a science fiction environment. I'd go as far as saying half the story lines could have been done as westerns.

Especially the ones that were westerns!

Don't forget, Bone McCoy was played by DeForest Kelley, who was in the gunfight at O.K. Corral THREE TIMES: First as Ike Clanton in the television series You Are There, second as Morgan Earp in the movie Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, and third as Tom McLaury in an episode of Star Trek (called "Spectre of the Gun"). Considering there were only nine people at the O.K. Corral in the first place, he represented a third of them! :mrgreen:

(He was also on an episode of The Littlest Hobo, but that's a different matter entirely.)
#ANDAMOVIE

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:25 am

Dr. McCoy never made u secret uv the fact that he wuz just a simple country doctor.

OOPS! I mean he will never make a secret uv the fact that he'z just a simple country doctor.

Given the expansion factor and the butterfly effect, I figure the oddz uv there being a real Dr. McCoy in spase iz 99.935%. (limited to 500 yirz. The oddz go up, up to 1000 yirz, then fall to zero afterward. If we arent flying around the kozmoz within 1,000 yirz its kuz we are either extinct or sank back to cave brute status)
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:46 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:Thanks Jo. That's why I'm crying every time I go to the bank, to deposit royalties for the internationally broadcast science shows I have worked on or supplied music for.

A suprizing admission. I assume its from extreem feelingz uv gilt.

Maybe I can help.

The muzak on siens showz iznt very important. Therez no drama or action to support, so even if its really crappy, not many peepl will notis. The typical audiens for such showz iz a disinterested working parent who only haz it on in a feeble attempt to teach their kidz sumthing. The kidz arent paying any attention, just playing with their hand held video gamez in the spase between the TV and the Lazy Boy recliner wile Dad stuffs hiz gob after work.

So, dont feel bad. It all went in 1 ir & out the other.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:17 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:Thanks Jo. That's why I'm crying every time I go to the bank, to deposit royalties for the internationally broadcast science shows I have worked on or supplied music for.

JO 753 wrote: A suprizing admission. I assume its from extreem feelingz uv gilt.
No Jo 753. Extreme wealth.

JO 753 wrote:Maybe I can help.
Not really. You don't know anything about science and science fiction productions on TV.

JO 753 wrote:The muzak on siens showz iznt very important.
No. It's extremely important as it sets the mood according to cinematic convention and paces the spoken words. The composer receive 1.35% of all advertising revenue generated during broadcast internationally.

JO 753 wrote:Therez no drama or action to support
Spoken words are paced on TV Jo 753 using music. That is "basic video documentary production" 101 Jo 753.

JO 753 wrote:The typical audiens for such showz iz a disinterested working parent who only haz it on in a feeble attempt to teach their kidz sumthing.
Mythbusters, which is produced in Australia, but filmed in the USA, had an audience of 95,000,000 around the world Jo 753. That's not the biggest show I worked on or supplied music to.

Beyond 2000 Australia / 2002 for Discovery International.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qECkG3c8y8I

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:04 pm

Thats not so bad. You shoudnt feel gilty.

Who made that?
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:41 am

JO 753 wrote:Thats not so bad. You shoudnt feel gilty. Who made that?

Beyond Ltd, who also made Mythbusters. My companies composed and supplied the music for all 328 episodes of Beyond 2000.
http://www.beyond.com.au/

Why should I feel guilty about success? What has been your biggest broadcast TV show?

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:47 pm

"My companies" iznt sumwunz name. Iz that the bandz name?

I dont no why you feel gilty. Youre the wun who sed he cried all the way to the bank. I just gessed it wuz kuz you didnt feel you earned the money kuz the myoozak wuz bad.

Americaz hiest rated show iz the Super Bowl.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:13 am

JO 753 wrote:"My companies" iznt sumwunz name. Iz that the bandz name?
No it is a range of various companies that own music catalogs, either freshly composed to match the show or available for synchronisation to other shows. They are broken up into various companies to lease to public performance collection agencies in different territories and to reflect commission and equity structures. You wouldn't understand this.

JO 753 wrote:I dont no why you feel gilty.
Then why did you say I was feeling guilty? Are you always this confused?

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:54 am

H&I (Heroes and Icons) channel will be running all the Star Wrecks back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back six days a week.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:46 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:No it is a range of various companies that own music catalogs, either freshly composed to match the show or available for synchronisation to other shows. They are broken up into various companies to lease to public performance collection agencies in different territories and to reflect commission and equity structures. You wouldn't understand this.

Wy woudnt I? You just explained it rite there!

Then why did you say I was feeling guilty? Are you always this confused?

You didnt. It wuz my gess az to wy you cry wen you go to the bank. You havent offered an alternativ explanation.

That's why I'm crying every time I go to the bank, to deposit royalties for the internationally broadcast science shows I have worked on or supplied music for.

The confusion iz on your side.

You feel the need to boast about getting paid for selling other peeplz work and think this will make you look smarter than me.

Really, I dont no. Maybe you are. I dont hav any money. I shoud hav been smart like you and spent my time looking for a way to tap into the money system. In hi skool I realized that working in factoryz iz for chumps, but I still ended up in manufacturing. Shoud hav followed my own advise and gon to Wall Street.

Peepl can be forgiven for mistaking welth for smarts in this world. The entire system iz set up to move money from the dirt up to the sky. The closer you are to the dirt, the less you get for your effort. Less money, less respect, usually not even any recognition for your work. The car you buy duznt hav the namez uv everybody who bilt it stamped into the metal, like a credit roll at the end uv a movie. The only time you get notised iz wen you screw up.

Not many peepl up the chain uv command on this planet consider the luck factor in how they got where they are.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:20 am

JO 753 wrote:You feel the need to boast about getting paid for selling other peeplz work and think this will make you look smarter than me.
No Jo 753. I picked up on the opportunity and established those companies as I understand music in broadcast media. That's why I'm licensing those cheap Russian catalogues today.

You said background music in science documentaries "is insignificant" because you know nothing about music in media.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:47 am

I'very been a huge Star Trek fan since the Sci-Fi Channel started airing reruns in 1999 with short little interviews with the cast spliced in between commercial breaks (they aired the full 50 minute episodes over 90 minutes and used the interviews to pad the time). I was 13 at the time.

Before that I watched a couple of TNG episodes with my mom when they first aired but I didn't really get it.

Once I finished TOS I watched Voyager episodes as they aired and caught up on reruns of TNG. And then watched ENT as it premiered too. I didn't see DS9 until my freshman year of college.

Over my senior year of college rewatched every episode of all five series and all 10 movies (at the time).

The Animated Series is the lamest, not because the stories are bad. In general they're about as good as TOS. The animation is just so terrible that it makes the whole production feel like a joke.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:38 am

I will never watch any uv the spinoff showz. I saw haf a minit uv another wun today and that wuz enuf to solidify my opinion. I rote better dialog in a 1st grade short story asinement.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:16 am

Torchwood is a good, at times mind-boggling awesome spin-off of Dr. Who.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:05 pm

Well, I ment Star Trek spinoffs. Several peepl hav recommended Dr Who but I never watched it. The bits I'v seen seemed good.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:09 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:Torchwood is a good, at times mind-boggling awesome spin-off of Dr. Who.

I loved Children of Earth (Series 3) but the first two series were hit-and-miss and Miracle Day (Series 4) would have been good had it been half as long.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:13 am

Fan made Star Trek moviez on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l94v4YOqxOc
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:36 pm

I never got into TOS or TNG but I really liked Deep Space Nine. It added darkness to a series that badly needed it. Section 31, Starfleet personnel breaking rules, genocide, it offset the goofiness that I didn't like about Star Trek.
I tried to watch Voyager and Enterprise, couldn't get into it.

I did like a lot of the movies, Wrath of Khan and First Contact are great.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:14 pm

Fan Fik extreem runz afoul uv copyrite law.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:53 pm

Prelude to Axanar iz pretty good!

Herez a doc about the copyrite battle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxOkhC8-u3s
More evidens that you must be an assclown if you are an executiv in the entertainment industry.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:05 pm

Voyager had its attraction(s), if I remember correctly.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:52 am

They're all TV shows, so it's a dead heat. :roll:
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Return to “Popular Culture”