Black Adder IV / Frankie Howerd "early version"

Weird things people do.
Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Black Adder IV / Frankie Howerd "early version"

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:40 am

This is just an odd story.

I never knew this show existed until a month ago.

51JX80WDFAL._SY300_.jpg

Frankie Howerd, the ex-Sargent turned English comedian, filmed a third series in his "piss takes' on English "schoolboy history". The first was "Up Pompeii", followed by "Whoops Baghdad". The final series was "Then Churchill told me...." and was set in Churchill's war bunker in 1942.

The series was completed in 1982, but the BBC would not show it because of the Falklands War. The BBC finally showed the series in 2000. Black Adder I was first broadcast in 1923 and was extremely popular and took every element from the earlier Frankie Howerd TV series.

For lovers of "Dr Who"
One of the weirdest parts of this is the actor, Nicholas Courtney, who played Lethbridge-Stewart, in the BBC's Dr Who, played the same role in this comedy TV Series, simply by walking from one set to another, without any costume change or even change in his acting method. :D
x_b8b44822.jpg

David Walliams, from Little Britain played Frankie Howerd in a BBC drama series on his life. Frankie Howerd broke many television conventions and started a whole new type of comedy, that we now accept as normal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Re: Black Adder IV / Frankie Howerd "early version"

Postby JO 753 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:05 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:This is just an odd story...
Black Adder I was first broadcast in 1923 and was extremely popular and took every element from the earlier Frankie Howerd TV series.

In this universe, on this Earth, we didnt hav TV till 1936 and for realz sumtime in the 50z.

Odd indeed. Very odd.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:28 am

JO 753 wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:This is just an odd story...
Black Adder I was first broadcast in 1923 and was extremely popular and took every element from the earlier Frankie Howerd TV series.

In this universe, on this Earth, we didnt hav TV till 1936 and for realz sumtime in the 50z.

Odd indeed. Very odd.

One of those numbers seems off by approximately 60 years.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:32 am

We hav found the infiltrator, my frend. Finally.

I hav summoned the apprehension and containment squadz.

The OtherEarth invasion iz kaput!
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:40 pm

Black Adder being one of the best series ever made, I'll look for this series as well. Looks to be much the same. Brit TV: some of the Best.... equally balanced.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:37 pm

Gord wrote: One of those numbers seems off by approximately 60 years.
Yes. Black Adder was first broadcast in 1983 not 1923. Sorry about that typo. :?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:01 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Black Adder being one of the best series ever made, I'll look for this series as well. Looks to be much the same. Brit TV: some of the Best.... equally balanced.

The British wartime army had amateur nights and if "you were good" on the amateur night, you were transferred to entertain the troops.

I think that making anarchistic fun of "army life" simply evolved into the surreal humour of the 1950's "Goon Show". Once the Goon Show's style became a popular radio genre, this surrealistic humour continued onto TV with Monty Python in the 70's. The Americans had a similar surrealistic army humour with the "Francis the talking mule" series in the late 40s (which are really witty and came back on TV as "Mr Ed")

However English "Music Hall" has always made fun of themselves as English people. The "Carry on" films were the first to take the piss out of English history as slapstick. Frankie Howerd continued this slapstick view of "Schoolboy history" on TV. I think Black Adder used this "anarchistic schoolboy history" to actually make some very nasty comments. Some of the anti-war skits in Black Adder IV were very effective.

I have a lot of respect for Bob Hope. Bob Hope is an Englishman from Music Hall who simply went to the USA before the war started. However he made it his mission in life to entertain troops, as his fellow Brits were also doing. Good on him.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:37 pm

Thanks Matt--I'll have to watch Francis the Talking Mule again.....but you could not entice me to watch Mr Ed at all. Tv.......was a wasteland for a decade or two.

I grew up thinking of Hope mostly as a comic, then saw him sing with Crosby, then saw him dance as a young man. Quite the talent....... and I think a real human being as well. What would Mel Gibson think?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:26 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote: What would Mel Gibson think?
Mel Gibson is actually an American. He only came here when he was already nine. He went to NIDA, an academy where we convert average actors into complete screen robots.

American Surrealist military comedy
Before Gomer Pyle and the Andy Griffith show, Andy Griffith appeared as Gomer Pyle himself in a movie, based on the original novel. "No time for Sargeants". It was pretty funny and give the British army comedies a "run for their money".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqg4rJPUxGs

"Francis the talking mule" is still a winner in my mind. The movies just take the piss out of the US Army from an internal point of view. I imaging the soldiers loved the movies. I love this scene and always have.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X4N1lDfxXk

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:02 pm

Thought of this thread when seeing this video. Its of a horse making a clapping sound with its lips. Interesting........depending on how bored you are. Doesn't look like the video will play.

http://digg.com/video/horse-mouth-clapping

phpBB [video]

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:55 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Thought of this thread when seeing this video. Its of a horse making a clapping sound with its lips. Interesting........depending on how bored you are. Doesn't look like the video will play.

I actually enjoyed that a lot. I have never seen that behaviour before.

(For casual readers and aliens dropping past the forum, the video is of a horse that claps with its lips with determination.)

Frank Hoffman
Poster
Custom Title: Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Postby Frank Hoffman » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:23 pm

Black Adder IV, No Time For Sergeants, Bob Hope... a few of my favorite things.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:23 am

I wasn't going to post but Link TV just put on the last episode of House of Cards the BBC version. One of the most clever series ever produced. Saying that, I'll have to add the Yes Minister Series. And a short 3 parter regarding Doctors in Love called Reckless.

Just plain excellent drama.

Return to “Popular Culture”