If you had ONE Billion $, what would you give half of it to?

Weird things people do.
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

If you had ONE Billion $, what would you give half of it to?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:31 pm

That is my first second reaction to the 60 Minutes segment on "The Giving Pledge" where the worlds Billionaires are pledging to give away half of their wealth to charity during their lifetimes or by will. All started by Gates and Buffet, but now quite a power group of some 141 or more billionaires and growing.

Gates is known for trying to erradicate polio, and I think malaria as well? Absolutely good projects, but are they the best?

My signature: What would do the MOST good for the MOST people? Sadly, erradicating disease misses the mark in a significant way as if you don't die from one disease, you will from another. Nothing wrong with working on it but really......what is the net effect?

One of the more interesting billionaire plans was by Jeffery Skoll, founded Ebay, who is giving his money to make films to highlight and suggest action in five global threats to humanity:
1. climate change
2. water security
3. Pandemics
4. Nuclear proliferation
5. Middle East Conflict

Worthy goals and with No 1: Climate Change..... why go any farther? but how to best address it? Makes me think of those who say that Political Campaign Reform is the MOST IMPORTANT issue before us today because anything else you want to do is affected if not controlled by the Political Process and that is controlled by how people get into and stay in office, ie: money.

I think this way about charitable activities, or global threats. How to best address them?

And to me, its all controlled directly or eventually by: ENERGY. Without energy, you can't do anything on anyone list. You can make Polio Vaccines, but they are kept cold and transported by using energy. Same with Skoll's list--energy is the solution or part of the issues to resolve.
1. climate change /// Directly. Green energy will stop the carbon pollution and with free/cheap energy efforts to remove carbon from the atmosphere could be undertaken.
2. water security //// Directly. With free/cheap green energy dirty water can be cleaned up.
3. Pandemics //// Indirect. Medical advances will take place only as society has the resources to continue research... and then to distribute its products.
4. Nuclear proliferation //// Hmmmm.... mostly unrelated.
5. Middle East Conflict /// Direct, indirect and unrelated depending on which more specific issue is considered.

So............I think these Billionaires would be BEST advised to contribute their resources to solving the worlds ENERGY needs. Lots of different approaches....all off the shelf just need funding or a modified approach. ........................ if you want to do "the most good" as opposed to staying fixated on personal projects.

The first issue I reacted to is: soemthing is wrong with people even having Billions upon Billions of dollars. 60 Minutes came close to this issue asking the group about those who complain about Billionaires having so much "power." Warren Buffet said the alternative was Dynastic Wealth or Obscenely High Living. TOTALLY MISSING the point, as did Charlie Rose, about the systemic problems created by wealth disparity. but I'm pragmatic. I don't expect Billionaires to fund programs for income/life equality. I mean, its why Jefferson kept his slaves.

Know what I mean?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Re: If you had ONE Billion $, what would you give half of it to?

Postby ElectricMonk » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:02 pm

I'd give it to my evil twin - otherwise he'll activate his doomsday weapon.
No armageddon = greatest good for all
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:08 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:I'd give it to my evil twin - otherwise he'll activate his doomsday weapon.
No armageddon = greatest good for all

You are related to the Koch Brothers? I didn't realize they were triplets.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:10 pm

Actually EM--thats a good point to emphasize.

While "uncomfortable" a limited Nuke Exchange could be survived by Hooman Civilization. Same with everything else on the list................except .............. CC. Again highlighting why Energy is the key issue. Energy can solve the CC crises along with a host of other issues. Other issues on the list when solved only solve that one issue. Limited in Scope.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:39 pm

I'd give half of a billion dollars to no charity whatsoever. When you give to charity, you're giving money to fundraisers. You're paying their salaries. Instead, I'd give the money to poor friends and relatives, and then give money to local businesses that I like to stay in business.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster

Postby ElectricMonk » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:46 pm

Seriously,

I'd probably try to find people to develop ways to make small communities independent from infrastructure: local water/food/energy production and access to global communication etc.

I'd also fund some research into making the Space Elevator happen.
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:17 pm

I`d give it to science education...

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:37 am

Strippers.
{!#%@} trump!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:40 am

Monster: social programs and local economy? Hardly a blip to anything important for the course of events of the "entire human race"

EM--is that just a variation of the green energy solution? That solution to be applied in whatever economic units desired. I think so.

TJ--another "social" oriented expenditure missing the pressing needs of humanity that are going to consume us all if solutions are not found.

Energy---still looks like the ticket to me.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:30 am

I'd spread it around. Feed some starving people, cure some diseases, distribute some condoms, buy some Lego, that sort of thing.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:48 am

Aztexan wrote:Strippers.

Erm... isn`t that what I said? :lol:

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:04 am

Something.

Lard, save me from your followers.

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:36 am

irs
for the real minority ; there will be no justice , there will be no peace .
makes sense 2me , so it has 2be wrong .

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster

Postby ElectricMonk » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:43 am

not really interested in energy - everyone is doing that, and while it is a critical factor, it's not the only one.

I'm more interesting in hydroponics on the like, fungi and and insect farming, ways to make food on small spaces.

The idea is to make towns and cities mostly independent from heavy freight transport. The less we have to transport, the fewer roads and fuel we need.
Spoiler:
- Douglas Adams

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:55 am

ElectricMonk wrote:...

I'm more interesting in hydroponics...

So that's why...
Spoiler:

Lard, save me from your followers.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:15 am

ElectricMonk wrote:not really interested in energy - everyone is doing that, and while it is a critical factor, it's not the only one.

I'm more interesting in hydroponics on the like, fungi and and insect farming, ways to make food on small spaces.

The idea is to make towns and cities mostly independent from heavy freight transport. The less we have to transport, the fewer roads and fuel we need.

Ah.. so, developing meues for long pig? :blush:

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:07 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
ElectricMonk wrote:...

I'm more interesting in hydroponics...

So that's why...
Spoiler:

No, this is why:

Spoiler:
https://www.quora.com/Why-did-the-bowl-of-petunias-falling-towards-Margathea-in-the-Hitchhikers-Guide-to-the-Galaxy-think-Oh-no-not-again

Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again. Many people have speculated that if we knew exactly why the bowl of petunias had thought that we would know a lot more about the nature of the Universe than we do now.
—Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:51 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:not really interested in energy - everyone is doing that, and while it is a critical factor, it's not the only one.
Everyone is doing it--thats true. Even on large scale such as: http://www.gizmag.com/australia-nyngan-broken-hill-solar-photovoltaic-plants/41462/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=2f625ee8c5-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-2f625ee8c5-89824278 .... but to emphasize "my" point and why I posted and criticize Bill Gates and the Billionaire Charity: Energy is not "a" critical factor, it is THE CRITICAL FACTOR.....to about everything else anyone wants to do...like your own druthers that follow.

...............and the point is, the world (not just the USA) is not convinced, cognizant, fully connected to the entire CC issue which is all about energy and its production.

Focusing more on Energy than we have (to pick up close advocates such as yourself) is needed RIGHT NOW, to sway gubment policy, and I assume fund some break throughs that not everybody, or even anybody, is working on right now. Efficiency is always an issue, cheap battery storage will always be an issue, alternative energy storage and collection technologies...ie...while everybody is working on the 80% of standard investigation and development, I think we need some additional breakthroughs IF THE HUMAN RACE IS GOING TO SURVIVE THE NEXT 200 YEARS. ......... and it must start ....... last week.

ElectricMonk wrote:I'm more interesting in hydroponics on the like, fungi and and insect farming, ways to make food on small spaces.
I am too. My own "personal" hobby. Growing herbs and fruits in my sun room in 4 inch drainage pipes. Fun to play with, but won't do a thing to stop the end of humanity.

ElectricMonk wrote:The idea is to make towns and cities mostly independent from heavy freight transport. The less we have to transport, the fewer roads and fuel we need.
Again, admirable for many more reasons like improved health, stable imployment and so forth. But again.... won't do a thing to stop CC that is set to wipe us out.

I urge the Billionaires to PRIORITIZE the risks/benefits and to work on number ONE (Energy) until is is SOLVED..... before moving on to number two on the list. Course, if you won't give any money at all unless it goes to growing crickets, then so be it.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster

Postby ElectricMonk » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:21 pm

At this point, energy is less a technological and more a political problem. For example, we could use Tesla-like system to distribute electrical energy without having to build a grid of high-voltage towers. But of course, then the energy providers won't know who consumes how much, making it impossible to bill anyone.
Same with old, inefficient power plants, nuclear or not, which still have to be paid of before they can be shut down and replaced.
And then there is the business of resisting energy-saving measures...

So I think more innovation is at best half the ticket right now. Late last year, Germany started up a new generation research fusion reaction. Another is already running in Japan, and the building of an actually energy producing one is soon to start in France. It might still take a decade or two, but it looks like fusion is going to be part of the future's energy mix.
Spoiler:
- Douglas Adams

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:37 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:At this point, energy is less a technological and more a political problem.
There is a lot of truth to that..........but............(staying on point)......until Energy is SOLVED, it remains No 1 on the list. With more technology to drive the cost of Green Energy down even more, then the politics will continue its downward projectory. BUT WE MAY ALREADY BE TOO LATE, and further delays, slow motion, waiting for the majority to get in line with the science, is the very threat that needs to be DEFEATED. You demonstrate the very thing that is going to kill us all: too complacent. Like Skoll is doing, making films to highlight the issues, suggest solutions, maybe a non-tech but direct help on the issue like that is needed: getting politics behind saving the Earth rather than destroying it. We aren't there yet.

ElectricMonk wrote: For example, we could use Tesla-like system to distribute electrical energy without having to build a grid of high-voltage towers.
This highlights for me the difference between First World (USA following Germany, maybe France too) economic/political challenges that can use Tesla-like systems being swamped by THIRD WORLD realities of China and India building huge coal fired electrical plants every other week for into the future. Ohhhh........if only pollution would stay within its State Created Borders?

But absent that tech, maybe with the technology all solved as you say, what the billionaires should fund is how to make the tech cheap enough to install throughout the third world? Its kinda like food right now. We grow more than enough to feed the world, yet people starve due to market/political/distribution issues. Same with the Technology of Energy. It may be "here" but too many are still starving for it. I'd make that Issue 1.5 and solve that before moving on to the political issues.

Why work on anything else other than what is going to kill us all if its not solved? SOLVED in fact, not just as solutions sitting on a shelf not actually implemented.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:20 am

ElectricMonk wrote:...For example, we could use Tesla-like system to distribute electrical energy without having to build a grid of high-voltage towers....

Say what?
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:37 pm

Gord wrote:
ElectricMonk wrote:...For example, we could use Tesla-like system to distribute electrical energy without having to build a grid of high-voltage towers....

Say what?

Just a brain storming idea to get possible approaches on the table. For me, it highlights another benefit of Green energy, that it is "distributed" in the main meaning no high cost high risk centralized state controlled producers of power and pollution.

If battery power ever scales up (somewhat doubtful right now, more likely, some other energy storage tech or will take over?) it makes sense to hook whats available into the grid at that time, might allow for Solar Energy to provide 3-4 more hours of power as the sun passes and sets overhead?

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:37 pm

Gord wrote:

Say what?

He's talking about this:
Wikipedia wrote:In 1901, Tesla began construction of a large high-voltage wireless power station, now called the Wardenclyffe Tower, at Shoreham, New York. Although he promoted it to investors as a transatlantic radiotelegraphy station, he also intended it to transmit electric power as a prototype transmitter for a "World Wireless System" that was to broadcast both information and power worldwide. By 1904 his investors had pulled out, and the facility was never completed. Although Tesla claimed his ideas were proven, he had a history of failing to confirm his ideas by experiment, and there seems to be no evidence that he ever transmitted significant power beyond the short-range demonstrations above. The only report of long-distance transmission by Tesla is a claim, not found in reliable sources, that in 1899 he wirelessly lit 200 light bulbs at a distance of 26 miles (42 km). There is no independent confirmation of this putative demonstration; Tesla did not mention it, and it does not appear in his meticulous laboratory notes. It originated in 1944 from Tesla's first biographer, John J. O'Neill, who said he pieced it together from "fragmentary material... in a number of publications". In the 110 years since Tesla's experiments, efforts using similar equipment have failed to achieve long distance power transmission, and the scientific consensus is his World Wireless system would not have worked. Tesla's world power transmission scheme remains today what it was in Tesla's time, a fascinating dream.
(emphasis mine)
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:48 pm

AH--oh! THAT Tesla? I thought the reference was to using car batteries as back up to the grid. Certainly a marginal attribute..... but some benefits if more batteries built to scale.

YOUR Tesla.... obviously correct. Still an application for it though in power beamed to electrical cars through cables in the roadway. Lots of potential there for smaller lighter cars with very small batteries. Racing Wheels ..... for the Grown Ups.

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:11 pm

right team of people could prove that mentally sick people can be helped without synthetic medications .
and even though shrinks only treat and never try to cure . right group/team given enough time , money and resources might be able to cure .
for the real minority ; there will be no justice , there will be no peace .
makes sense 2me , so it has 2be wrong .

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:32 am

Half a billion? I'd buy a new water system for the citizens of Flint, Michigan.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:34 am

Pyrrho wrote:Half a billion? I'd buy a new water system for the citizens of Flint, Michigan.

Would that be the most good for the most people?

........................I don't think so.

Worthy and charitable........but not the most good. Almost, in context, a waste.

Note the challenge is "everyone" for the rest of time, vs, a temporary few.

...........................makes a difference.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:56 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Would that be the most good for the most people?

The most good is not always what's good for the most people. The needs of the one often outweigh the needs of the many.
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:55 pm

Gord wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Would that be the most good for the most people?

The most good is not always what's good for the most people. The needs of the one often outweigh the needs of the many.

Like up is often down or left is often right? That sort of simply nay saying? You usually do better.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:11 pm

If I had half a billion dollars for the benefit of mankind......

My big fantasy was to find a hill top near Athens and rebuild the entire Acropolis complex, as it would have looked like in 300BC as accurately as possible. All that stonework was painted in bright colours! It looked more like a Chinese restaurant than faded light grey stone.

I'd then do an Egyptian Middle Kingdom temple complex, somewhere near Cairo. Same thing. Bright colours.

If I had any money left over I'd then reproduce an accurate copy of the main Roman forum, with all it's building including the Curia (Parliament).

I'd then look heavily into destroyed middle eastern cities that were the cradle of our modern civilisation, maybe, the complex in Akkad, and recreate one of their temple or administration areas.

I simply want to celebrate human achievement over the last 4000 years. Humans are disgusting creatures, but they make such lovely things. :D

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:50 pm

Imagehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenon_%28Nashville%29

Its been done, or started. This is about the only reason to go to Nashville in the daytime. I assume the colors weren't added for some bible belt issue...but yes.... great buildings.

..............but not the most good for the most people. Not saving mankind or civilization AT ALL.

Interesting how the question gets answered from such self centered limited perspectives...... the very reason the question/application is so relevant.

Cure disease for 100Million people one year, and next year lose the entire human race. A question of values..... or comprehension???????

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:53 pm

Imagehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenon_%28Nashville%29

Its been done, or started. This is about the only reason to go to Nashville in the daytime. I assume the colors weren't added for some bible belt issue...but yes.... great buildings.

..............but not the most good for the most people. Not saving mankind or civilization AT ALL.

Interesting how the question gets answered from such self centered limited perspectives...... the very reason the question/application is so relevant.

Cure disease for 100Million people one year, and next year lose the entire human race. A question of values..... or comprehension???????

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:00 pm

If you used it to spread pandemics - bringing the human population down to a couple of million, then energy, climate change, resource depletion, wildlife habitat, etc. - would all be solved.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:08 pm

I would use it to re-establish Meccano as the leading engineering toy so as to redress the imbalance brought about by rectilinearists. Yes! Long live cheap spanners and four-sided nuts.

And no - not this modern plastic {!#%@}!!! Get good old metal plate back where it belongs!

Hah! Try to make a triangle with Lego!

Lot's more of these - !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:14 pm

TJrandom wrote:If you used it to spread pandemics - bringing the human population down to a couple of million, then energy, climate change, resource depletion, wildlife habitat, etc. - would all be solved.

TJ--very correct. Very evil. Pros and cons to all we do.?................. or just your justification for unsafe sex...... (where and when possible).

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:25 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Its been done, or started. This is about the only reason to go to Nashville in the daytime. I assume the colors weren't added for some bible belt issue...but yes.... great buildings.
That's what I think is the whole point. Neo-classicism is based on unpainted statues, which never existed.
painted Greek freize.jpg

Although you and I are used to "minimalism", I don't think anyone in the classical world would have a clue what minimalism is.

I can't prove it, but I'm suspicious that an ancient Greek, walking into a modern, gaudily painted Chinese restaurant, with bright red flock wall paper, would be complimenting the interior designer.

(Pyrrho our dear leader, I believe, is a corporate graphic artist, Perhaps he will start the "gaudy classicism" movement for me, if I ask him kindly) :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:29 pm

Matt: makes me think of the guady sparkling mirror covered object d'art the Persians/Iranians/Middle East is so enamored of. Greek roots....or the Greeks in the same boat? Pyramids colored too. Bright Clothing... if you could afford it.

Could it all be a money thing?

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:43 pm

I was thinking of providing a link to some gaudy classical statuary. Unfortunately, someone's put boxes around the examples I had in mind.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:04 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Matt: makes me think of the guady sparkling mirror covered object d'art the Persians/Iranians/Middle East is so enamored of. Greek roots....or the Greeks in the same boat? Pyramids colored too. Bright Clothing... if you could afford it. Could it all be a money thing?

Yes to "Gaudy was international"
I think that there was a lot of cultural exchange back then through commercial trade. Greeks owned Persian & Egyptian things and Persians owned Greek & Egyptian things.

Yes to displays of wealth
I think this is the bottom line. If I commission a big art object, to show I can do so, then I want people to see it. I wan't people to say "his palace was covered in gold and the walls were taller than mount Olympus" .

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:25 am

Poodle wrote:I was thinking of providing a link to some gaudy classical statuary. Unfortunately, someone's put boxes around the examples I had in mind.
tumblr_nd48m5AlJq1rf4cqeo1_500.jpg

It is really interesting, how "realism" was known to humans, but they chose not to use it.

The Egyptians were quite capable of realistic representation and perspective. Peasant Egyptian art from the Middle Kingdom is quite accurate. The ruling class, used the "stiff, forced perspective" in their artwork. I am not surprised as hieroglyphs are simply a form of symbolism. I think Akhenaten, the rebel Pharaoh, used peasant style for political reasons to bond with peasants.
Akhenaten.jpg

The Romans had beautiful realistic statues, but went downhill with Constantine. This was not an indicator that the Romans were losing skills, but, as Egypt was a Roman province, the Romans were heading towards symbolism, as had the Egyptians, for ruling class artwork,

Here is Constantine's symbolic statue of the Tetrarch (330AD) , with and Eastern & Western "Augustuses " hugging each other, while the two junior Caesars also hug each other.
the-tetrarchs.jpg

Trust me. Late Roman history is a mess and it "sort of" never has an ending date.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Popular Culture”