The Lottery shows America at its vacuous worst.

Weird things people do.
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

The Lottery shows America at its vacuous worst.

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:28 pm

Last I saw, some lottery is up to 1.3 Billion for its next drawing. I've never played so I don't know if that is a nation wide lottery or some state wide only. Its OBSCENE to collect and distribute money like that. I think "the State" should engage in organized crime gambling in order to suck the profits away from illegal gambling...but... part of the deal should be not to overtly try to get people hooked on gambling. I'll admit the "idea" of buying a lotto ticket for the current event did cross my mind: "for the fun of it." but what fun would that be exactly? SUCKED IN--by the lure of Big Money.

The other thing is the waste of giving such a large amount to one person. Why not.......limit lotto winnings to One Million Dollars? Better 1000 Millionaires than one Billionaire. And if that meant fewer people would be SUCKED IN to playing...why that would be a second good achieved.

Our society is ill, led by the gubment. Too many people just as sick. Hard to tell which came first.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Re: The Lottery shows America at its vacuous worst.

Postby ElectricMonk » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:44 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerball#Prizes_and_odds

according to wikipedia, the chances of wining the jackpot are about 300,000,000:1.
So if you assume that no more than 3 people plus you win the jackpot, buying a single $2 ticket makes actual sense.

In fact, most lotteries only start making sense to play when there is a significant jackpot. Usually (as bobbo said correctly), they are just a charge for getting a nice tingling sensation, not a chance of actually getting your money back or more.

The key is not to guess likely numbers (the system is too random for that), but to pick numbers that are unlikely to be picked by other players, so that in the case of a payout you do not have to share.

I seriously pity the winners - they will have some minor celebrity status for a while and in 5 years will be asked how they managed to get suckered out of all their money by swindlers ...
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:00 pm

You are right that at higher payouts the risk/reward actually does get closer to evenly matched..... assuming you haven't played in each lotto to get it up to that level?

My fantasy has always been to win a big lotto but to have gotten the ticket as a door prize somewhere. IE--I win the money, but everyone knows I'm not so stupid as to actually play the game.

Yeah....some 80% of all award winners are broke again within 5 years. Q: "So, how did you lose that 5 Million so fast?" A: I spent most of it on booze and hookers, and blew the rest.

Something to do...........waste it...........if you win it.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:42 pm

actually, my math in my last post sucked: At $2, only one other person should win the jackpot alongside you for the bet to be worth taking.
But given the odds of that, playing now still makes sense if you can think of sufficiently unorthodox numbers.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:44 pm

Every loser has a "system."

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:48 pm

Somebody always wins.

And somebody always whines that nobody wins.

If you don't want to play, fine. If you don't want me to play, go {!#%@} yourself.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:02 pm

Lotto is at 1.3 Billion because no one has won for the last 7 or 8 (whatever) draws in a row.

In fact.......... I think everyone that plays is a loser.

Always........... definitional.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:08 pm

It's more likely that the jackpot WILL BE WON before it gets this large, a point often IGNORED by Olympic-caliber whingers.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Return to “Popular Culture”