Pat McGovern / IDG/ "for Dummies Books"

Weird things people do.
Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Pat McGovern / IDG/ "for Dummies Books"

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:08 am

Pat McGovern passed away in 2014. He established an enormous American publishing empire called International Data Group. (IDG). He is most famous for commencing to publish the "for dummies" series of books, which he sold for a couple hundred million to Wiley & Co Publishers, in 2001. He still published computerWorld and a couple of retail magazines, but mostly published professional and trade industry magazines. My partner worked for him and we visited his sub licensee publishing offices, across various countries. It was "a family".
s-l225.jpg

IDG is now up for sale.
Trailblazing Tech Publisher IDG Puts Itself on the Block
http://fortune.com/2016/01/08/idg-is-for-sale/

It is simply one of those sad stories, where the bloke with the vision, "love of what he does", and "good spirit" passes away and the entire company passes away with him.

( I will be selling my shares in News Ltd ( Rupert Murdoch's holding company) ) over the next couple of months.) :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Pat McGovern / IDG/ "for Dummies Books"

Postby Monster » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:37 pm

I read some of his Dummies books. I found them good to learn superficial information for subjects that you don't care about. But if you wanted something more serious, then you should avoid them.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:02 pm

I've got a couple "dummies" books, including "Global Warming", "Catholicism", and "Lost Books of the Bible". They're all too long for the small amounts of information worth gleaning from them.

I also bought a couple of "Complete Idiot's Guides", which are crap in comparison.

Matthew Ellard wrote:( I will be selling my shares in News Ltd ( Rupert Murdoch's holding company) ) over the next couple of months.) :D

Did he die too?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:02 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:( I will be selling my shares in News Ltd ( Rupert Murdoch's holding company) ) over the next couple of months.) :D
Gord wrote: Did he die too?

I kid you not. He just got engaged to Jerry Hall, Mick Jagger and Bryan Ferry's ex-wife. The "train spotters" think he is giving up on business and simply wants to have fun for the rest of his life. In a way, that's absolutely fair and good luck to him.

Rupert Murdoch and Jerry Hall announce engagement
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35289355

Jerry Hall comes in at the end....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9EbR0ckb40

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:30 am

Really? Jeremy Hall?

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/56573 ... remy-hall/

I had no idea all those guys were into that kind of thing.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “Popular Culture”