Weird things people do.
Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

David Bowie passed away from cancer

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:17 pm

David Bowie passed away from cancer
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35278872

This is very sad news.

Because the man could keep reinventing himself and kept "doing new things", regardless of whatever age he was, he gave some of us a fake feeling, that we could go on forever, and still act like teenagers.

He released two science fiction albums, one a complete story. That was pretty weird and clever. He obviously read cheap science fiction novels in the 60's & 70's and could pull upon that knowledge, all the way through his career.

That he joins Brian Eno in Germany and start releasing albums featuring artistic references to Kurt Schwitters, DADA and Bauhaus, suggests he also knew his art history in depth, and pulled ideas from it.

That he tacitly acknowledged he was still was part of English "Music Hall" vaudeville, could be seen is his cameos on "Carry On Columbus" and chasing Kenny Everret, wearing fishnet stockings, around on a cheap TV show, as an older man. He obviously had a sense of humour.

He was a fantastic "Nikola Tesla" in the movie The Prestige. He could act seriously or with humour.

English fans know him from the beginning and tune off after "Let's dance". Americans know him from Let's dance, but not much of the earlier catalogue and shows. He is two different people to two different countries.

I have no understanding of his private life other than he was a chess player, father and homebody. I imagine he was a homebody because of the obvious reason. Great songwriters and musicians have to spend hours each day working on their skills. Bowie kept learning new skills in addition to that.

Good on the man. He was an inspiration to work really hard to try do the best you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYpo5uKGDSg

Scott Mayers
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Deep

Re: David Bowie passed away from cancer

Postby Scott Mayers » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:11 am

I just finished a group meet a few days ago on the story and movie, "The Perks of Being a Wallflower", which utilized David Bowie's music and persona indirectly to help add substance to Charlie, the main character. I didn't initially recognize the significance until yesterday when I reviewed the movie again.

I have to agree, David Bowie was quite exceptional. Even if you don't necessarily like his music, you can appreciate the character he represents through his artistic endeavors. It was like learning of Pink Floyd when I first heard them where I didn't initially have any care for the music I heard specifically. Then upon reexamining, you recognize the 'art' in such efforts is not always on the surface and requires closer examination. The same goes for David here. And he also probably is one of those who actually gave influence to those like Pink Floyd to evolve into a "Rock Opera" style.
I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Re: David Bowie passed away from cancer

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:20 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:David Bowie passed away from cancer
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35278872

This is very sad news.

Because the man could keep reinventing himself and kept "doing new things", regardless of whatever age he was, he gave some of us a fake feeling, that we could go on forever, and still act like teenagers.

He released two science fiction albums, one a complete story. That was pretty weird and clever. He obviously read cheap science fiction novels in the 60's & 70's and could pull upon that knowledge, all the way through his career.

That he joins Brian Eno in Germany and start releasing albums featuring artistic references to Kurt Schwitters, DADA and Bauhaus, suggests he also knew his art history in depth, and pulled ideas from it.

That he tacitly acknowledged he was still was part of English "Music Hall" vaudeville, could be seen is his cameos on "Carry On Columbus" and chasing Kenny Everret, wearing fishnet stockings, around on a cheap TV show, as an older man. He obviously had a sense of humour.

He was a fantastic "Nikola Tesla" in the movie The Prestige. He could act seriously or with humour.

English fans know him from the beginning and tune off after "Let's dance". Americans know him from Let's dance, but not much of the earlier catalogue and shows. He is two different people to two different countries.

I have no understanding of his private life other than he was a chess player, father and homebody. I imagine he was a homebody because of the obvious reason. Great songwriters and musicians have to spend hours each day working on their skills. Bowie kept learning new skills in addition to that.

Good on the man. He was an inspiration to work really hard to try do the best you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYpo5uKGDSg

Sorry, found this late but wanted to chime in.

I am a huge Bowie fan. Sometimes I'll put his "Best of" and just enjoy the huge variety of music he gave us.

The man created great rock songs (Suffragette City) great New Wave (Fashion) and great Pop Songs (Blue Jeans).
Oh, can't forget the quirky weird crap he created with synthesizers, one of my favorite Bowie songs is "Ashes to Ashes."
I remember reading an interview with him that said he and his producer bought synthesizers to play. The first thing they did was to toss the instruction books.
We are losing the great ones now, Glen Frey, Lemmy, Prince and Bowie.

Return to “Popular Culture”