Good/Bad New Moviez

Weird things people do.
Jeffk 1970
Perpetual Poster

Re: Star Wars Rogue One : Dead Actors

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:40 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:I saw Star Wars : Rogue One. It was fun and worth watching.

It is my guess that the director was being clever and incorporating "SciFi" memes from old non-Star Wars movies to thicken up the art direction. For example, on the tropical library planet some of the Imperial troopers were wearing "Africa Korps" uniforms, like they did in Starship Troopers. Fair enough.

However, Peter Cushing had about a minute of screentime and lots of dialogue, which was interesting because he died 20 years ago. I thought the technicians did a great job, but he still looked weird. He looked like a character from a PC computer game and never really made direct eye contact with the other live action players.

I think that, for PeterCushing playing a military officer with a stern face, in Shakespearean mode this did not matter all that much. However, I don't think you could make a love sequence where a dead CGI actor has to look deeply into the eyes of a living live action player. At the end of the film a 19 year old Carrie Fischer appears. She looked even weirder.

Some smart person once wrote that the more you make robots look like humans the more repulsive they become to humans. I think this is true. I thought the real 19 year old Carrie Fisher in the first Star Wars was a babe. In Rogue One she made me feel irksome.

I planned on taking the kids to Rogue One today but it didn't work out, I plan on taking them next Saturday.

RIP, Carrie Fisher. My first crush....

Jeffk 1970
Perpetual Poster

Re: Good/Bad New Moviez

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:44 am

I'm looking forward to Alien: Covenant and Guardians of the Galaxy II.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:16 am

I say Ded Pool wuz the best movie uv 2016.

Saw The Gift tonite. Kate Blanchett az a sykik.

Good story, exellent acting and direction. Lots uv great actorz befor they were big.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:29 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:It is my guess that the director was being clever and incorporating "SciFi" memes from old non-Star Wars movies to thicken up the art direction.

The library attack haz many similarityz to the climax uv Serenity. Not exactly a rip-off, but maybe the riterz unconshusly copied it.

However, Peter Cushing had about a minute of screentime and lots of dialogue, which was interesting because he died 20 years ago. I thought the technicians did a great job, but he still looked weird. He looked like a character from a PC computer game and never really made direct eye contact with the other live action players.

I dont no why they didnt get them rite. I'm sure I'v seen CG karakterz befor who you coudnt tell were fake, but I cant recall spesific examplz. The female leader at the rebel base iz also CG. Probably more that I didnt notis.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:07 am

JO 753 wrote:I say Ded Pool wuz the best movie uv 2016.
Dead Pool was an excellent movie. It broke many movie "rules" and took a lot of risks.

Ryan Reynolds actually already played Dead Pool in the movie Wolverine in 2013. (I can't remember him in the film at all.)
deadpool in wolverine.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:16 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:However, Peter Cushing had about a minute of screentime and lots of dialogue, which was interesting because he died 20 years ago. I thought the technicians did a great job, but he still looked weird. He looked like a character from a PC computer game and never really made direct eye contact with the other live action players.
JO 753 wrote:I dont no why they didnt get them rite. I'm sure I'v seen CG karakterz befor who you coudnt tell were fake, but I cant recall spesific examplz. The female leader at the rebel base iz also CG. Probably more that I didnt notis.

I'm really interested in how the special effects people did Peter Cushing. I don't actually know how they did it. I'm guessing that there was lots of old footage of Peter Cushing from the 1977 Star Wars and they could manipulate an existing image rather than create a whole new CGI Peter Cushing.

Obviously this recreation of dead actors is going to continue. There are lots of really interesting ethical questions. Will new acting contracts have a new clause allowing the studio to keep your role alive even if you die? For how many films?

What happens when copyright ends on people like Humphrey Bogart? Will we see Humphrey Bogart returning to movies? What about Boris Karloff?

Imagine being a modern actors when you go for a casting and your competition is not only other actors but some dead actors? Does that mean it is going to be even harder for new actors to "break into the market"?

Jeffk 1970
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:33 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
JO 753 wrote:I say Ded Pool wuz the best movie uv 2016.
Dead Pool was an excellent movie. It broke many movie "rules" and took a lot of risks.

Ryan Reynolds actually already played Dead Pool in the movie Wolverine in 2013. (I can't remember him in the film at all.)
deadpool in wolverine.jpg

I remember Ryan Reynolds in that movie and he did play Wade Wilson.
Ryan Reynolds did talk about it and said what happened really spurred him to make a real Deadpool movie.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:02 am

He wuz the wizecracking sord guy. Gets embued with everybodyz super power by Striker.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Major Malfunction
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:51 am

I'm looking forward to Ghost in the Shell. I'm sure it will be bad, but I'm going to see it anyway. I've seen all the things.

I'm thinking of starting an anime thread similar to this one. Does anyone else watch anime?
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:59 am

I dont. Too much uv it iz krap.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Major Malfunction
True Skeptic

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:01 pm

That is very true. Tho' I've seen some exceptionally good ones.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:03 pm

Tell us wich wunz are good.

I vagely recall there being an anime topic here alredy.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:34 pm

Saw Rogue One.

I'm disappointed that so many scenes in the trailers weren't in the movie. It makes the trailers seem like they're for a totally different movie.

Overall, I liked it. It's an effort to slowly get away from the very stifling environment of Lucas's Star Wars into a broader environment. For example,

Spoiler:
Imperial workers who are humane, and Rebels who are douchebags.

Also, it would be nice to have some other alternatives in the political spectrum.

Lucas absolutely loved to make tie-ins with his characters. For example, one of Anakin's buddies in The Phantom Menace was supposed to grow up to be Greedo. So stupid.

Spoiler:
Sadly, Disney decided to continue Lucas's idiotic practice of character tie-ins. The two criminals who threatened Luke Skywalker in the cantina in Star Wars are present.

The blind monk guy was, by far, the most interesting character to me. A friend and I debated online about whether he was force-sensitive. In my opinion, he clearly is. She thinks not. There is some online debate about whether he and his buddy were gay lovers. Seems like an unnecessary discussion to have. Regarding heterosexuality, there were only four explicitly heterosexual characters in the whole movie, and those were Jyn's dad and mom, Princess Leia, and Darth Vader.

Is it my imagination, or does Felicity Jones never fully close her mouth, like ever?

Fortunately, this movie has a lightsabre in it for only a very short time. Very unlike the three prequels that Lucas did, which were very lightsabre-centric.

When watching Star Wars movies, I often think about how much people like the underdog and how much people enjoy hating the Empire. {!#%@} the underdog. I'm sick to death of the underdog. If the Empire wasn't so oppressive, I'd totally be on their side.

Recommendation: See it if you like Star Wars or sci fi action movies.

Saw Tales of Halloween.

It's ok. It can be skipped though, and you won't be missing anything exceptional. The little story episodes were fun, mostly. I think I liked the last story the most, which was the carnivorous pumpkin one.

Recommendation: See it if you have nothing else to do.

Saw Private Resort.

I saw it solely because I like Leslie Easterbrook. I found out that she isn't enough to make this movie watchable.

Recommendation: Don't bother.
Last edited by Monster on Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:44 am

Monster wrote:Saw Rogue One. Overall, I liked it. It's an effort to slowly get away from the very stifling environment of Lucas's Star Wars into a broader environment.
I was slightly annoyed by the inconsistency of the weaponry.

The library planet has an impenetrable shield yet the Death Star doesn't? That's pretty silly.

The large Imperial walker can be taken out with a shoulder launched MILAN rocket, yet single blokes can cut through metal with normal hand held lasers? That made no sense whatsoever. Our current real ships have better anti-missile protection. :D

Major Malfunction
True Skeptic

Postby Major Malfunction » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:32 am

Yeah, but it was a long time ago...

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:21 am

V, the TV seriez about alien vizitorz.

A chore to watch. bad riting.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:42 pm

Colossus. The Forbin Project.

Great story. Good movie. It seemz short, kuz I read the trilojy and didnt recall where 1 book ended & the next began. It woud be nise if they remastered this; the DVD iz pan & scan for tube TV.

It beginz with an unintentionally amuzing show uv 1960z electronics. By my calculationz, the vast collection uv capasitorz, rezistorz, punch tapes, etc woud hav an MTF (mean time to failure) uv negative 32,000 owrz. In other wordz, it woud never even get close to being operable bekuz components woud eternally need to be replased befor it coud start. In other other wordz, the ON swich iz also the self destruct swich!

An interesting side note:

I saw Marion Ross (Mrs Cunningham) in the credz and looked her up.

Usually older actorz hav sum gaps in the rezume, especially women (I prezume to raize kidz).

She iz 88 and appearz to hav been working nonstop sins 1989 and from 1953 to 1987 with usually multiple credits every yir. She haz 2 moviez in post production now!

My theory for why she missed 1988: A rezistans fiter from the future manajed to unplug her CPU and hide the indestructable machine. Obviously Skynet operativez found her and plugged it back in in 1989.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:56 pm

Five words that will (in all probability, given the data) never be seen in this Forum again:
"Manchester by the Sea.."
"Fences"

The first an elegy to the too often inept human struggle with the emotional devastation caused by loss, by grief.
And the second, a portrait (by the lustrous August Wilson) of a man and a woman locked together in a life-long dance with error and disappointment...and each other.
(The man played by the consequential Denzel Washington, and the woman by the awesome Viola Davis. But you don't have to be Black to understand what it means to come to grips with the reality of what your life IS, in contrast to what you MEANT it to be.)

NMB
P.S.
Ahh, but more (from my ten days in New York) catching up on all things visual, audible, dramatic: not a Zombie in the carload, and all locations here on earth.

"Silence" Martin Scorsese's meditation on the Catholic Church's murky, horrifying past, and where faith leads when it fails... dark, gloomy, but incredible, enviable film making.
"Patterson"... charming drivel .. ..Everyman as observer, poet, lover..
And not last ... Mel Gibson's proof that there is redemption in art: his really impressive and very moving war film "Hacksaw Ridge..."
"La La Land...." Wish i were a fan, but no matter.. there is something lovely about being in a theater, in the dark, munching pop-corn, surrounded by so many people so thoroughly enjoying themselves....
Who could possible fault them?
So HORAY!!! for movies... and for New York City that offers so many choices in so many inviting theaters...my ten days of two a day, morning and afternoon, And then, evenings in theaters with the miracles of so many great actors, alive (Daniel Craig does Shakespeare) ... vital... as if reassuring us that while there is art, artists, male, female, there is life.
And that's true even with the specter of the Trump hanging over us.
The Moveable Feast prevails....

Major Malfunction
True Skeptic

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:00 am

JO 753 wrote:Tell us wich wunz are good.

I vagely recall there being an anime topic here alredy.

If I told you, you'd judge me.

I like ecchi. I like pantsu. I like fan service.

Most of all I like a good story and characters. I love art, and the expression of the Human Condition. I like exploring existence. I like new and different experiences.

OK? Art appreciation is entirely subjective.

Some of these are very NSFW. Some are highly recommended for kids, with valuable wisdom.

In no particular order, this is the list of totally awesome anime series I've seen recently... MyAnimeList.net has a good database for more information about each.

Kiss X Sis
B gata h kei
To LOVE-Ru Darkness
RE:Zero
Yosuga no Sora: In Solitude, Where We Are Least Alone
Chuunibyou
Berserk
Nagi no Asakura
Kimi no Na wa
Gugure! Kokkuri-san
re Monogatari!!
Amaama to Inazuma (Sweetness and Lightning)

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:12 pm

I'll add them to my list uv stuff to look for.

And you will be jujd. Harshly, but fairly.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Major Malfunction
True Skeptic

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:10 pm

I've got an even bigger list of ones I that I liked quite a lot.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:11 am

Saw The Hidden Fortress by Kurosawa.

It's an excellent movie. This is one of the movies that influenced George Lucas when he made Star Wars. When watching The Hidden Fortress, the similarities to Star Wars are immediately obvious. However, there aren't too many similarities.

Recommendation: See it.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:23 am

"Hidden Figures" surprised me. I went with Boss Lady because ...

And it was actually intelligent and well done.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:56 pm

Arrival.

It's a good, entertaining movie. However, I was disappointed in a few things.

Spoiler:
Wooist-style magic was used to explain certain events in the movie, which I thought was very disappointing. I was expecting hard sci fi and I got wooist magic.

Some of the characters did incredibly stupid things. That disappointed me too. If you're working with aliens, there's no reason to rush the scientists and scholars working with the aliens. I'm referring to the colonel and the government wanting results every day.

And the Chinese and Russians wanting to attack the aliens? They were silly to want to do such a thing. And the American soldiers wanting to blow up the alien ship. Dumb dumb dumb.

One thing really caught my attention early in the movie. Jeremy Renner's character read something that Amy Adams's character wrote. That is that language is the cornerstone of civilization. He said it's not. It's science. I spent the next 10 minutes thinking about how wrong his character was. Of those two choices, language is far more relevant. Tons of people don't believe in science even today, and are perfectly capable of being a positive contributing part of civilization.

Recommendation: Sure, see it.

Goodnight, Mommy.

It's a strange name, since the original name is Ich seh ich seh, which means "I see I see". It's a very mildly creepy movie. The trailer for the movie has the bandaged mom eating a roach, which never happened in the movie. The trailer made it seem creepier than it really was.

Spoiler:
The movie became gruesome in its latter third. What those two adorable little twins do to their mother is horrific.

Recommendation: You probably shouldn't see it. It's just much too slow and there isn't enough creepiness. Too little happens.

Jeffk 1970
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:16 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Monster wrote:Saw Rogue One. Overall, I liked it. It's an effort to slowly get away from the very stifling environment of Lucas's Star Wars into a broader environment.
I was slightly annoyed by the inconsistency of the weaponry.

The library planet has an impenetrable shield yet the Death Star doesn't? That's pretty silly.

The large Imperial walker can be taken out with a shoulder launched MILAN rocket, yet single blokes can cut through metal with normal hand held lasers? That made no sense whatsoever. Our current real ships have better anti-missile protection. :D

I saw Rogue One this weekend with the family. Overall I liked it, perhaps even more than The Force Awakens.

One complaint:
The Princess Leia CGI made her look like the princess from Shrek.
The Grand Moff Tarkin was much better.

Highly recommended if you like this sort of movie.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:24 pm

Batman vs Superman.

Wut a mess. :roll:
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Jeffk 1970
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:39 pm

JO 753 wrote:Batman vs Superman.

I haven't see it but I hear the Director's Cut is better.

ahhell
Poster

Postby ahhell » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:14 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
JO 753 wrote:Batman vs Superman.

I haven't see it but I hear the Director's Cut is better.
I've heard the director's cut makes it better, still not good, just not as bad.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:40 pm

Office Space

This movie is excellent. Mike Judge is a genius. The Lumbergh character is just awesome.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:35 pm

Did you just see it for the 1st time now?
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:32 pm

JO 753 wrote:Did you just see it for the 1st time now?

Yes, it was my first time.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:02 am

I kind uv envy you. I'v seen it probably 20 timez, so dont get az much out uv seeing it agen.

It gets quoted here alot, so over the yirz you must hav felt out uv the loop more than a few timez.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:48 am

Prince of Darkness from 1987. It was goofy. Recommendation: Don't bother.

A Nightmare on Elm Street. It didn't age poorly, surprisingly. Recommendation: It's not the best movie ever. However, it's enjoyable. So you probably wouldn't hate it if you see it for the first time.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:33 am

Bill Paxton Kikt the buket satrday. Bummer. Wun uv my fave actorz. :cry:

He wuz in many great moviez, yet never let it go to hiz hed.

I will watch Frailty tonite, wich he directed & starred. I'v seen it a dozen timez and it never gets old.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:29 am

The LEGO Batman Movie

'Twas excellent. The previous Lego movie was better but this one was still excellent.

After a while, I noticed some of the product placement. There wasn't too much that I could notice, surprisingly.

Spoiler:
iPhone, Apple products due to the visible logo, LEGO, DC comics. I'm sure there's more than that, but I can't think of anything else right now.

And, shouldn't Zod have also come down from the Phantom Zone?

Jeffk 1970
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:50 am

Monster wrote:The LEGO Batman Movie

'Twas excellent. The previous Lego movie was better but this one was still excellent.

After a while, I noticed some of the product placement. There wasn't too much that I could notice, surprisingly.

Spoiler:
iPhone, Apple products due to the visible logo, LEGO, DC comics. I'm sure there's more than that, but I can't think of anything else right now.

And, shouldn't Zod have also come down from the Phantom Zone?

Took my sons to see it last weekend. I agree, I thought the Lego Movie was better but this one was still good.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:06 am

The very end of the main theme song is awesome. Like the last 40 seconds of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF1_ynqi3Ds

Major Malfunction
True Skeptic

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:09 am

Passengers

A colony ship on a 120-year trip to a new planet runs into strife, and a passenger is accidentally woken up 80 years too early.

Decent sci-fi, a few plot inconsistencies, and the ending could've been better (the script was changed), but overall, well worth a watch.

Spoiler:
My main beef is, the ship is dumb as {!#%@}. The bartender is smarter. If you're designing an automated colony ship, surely you'd have it wake up an emergency response crew if it ran into difficulty? And for that reason you'd have re-hibernation facilities onboard.

And then, when one of the crew does wake up, why the {!#%@} doesn't he wake up more crew?

But the most important beef is... One bar, with one bartender to serve 5,000 passengers? I don't care if he's a robot. The queue is going to be longer than Oktoberfest.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:09 am

Odd Thomas

Good gost movie. Alot like The Frighteners. Starz Anton Yelchin, the guy who played Chekov in the new Trek moviez till hiz Jeep killed him last yir. Coinsidentally, therez a sene in the movie where a guy he'z tokking to gets plowed by a vehicle.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:14 am

Logan.

I liked it a lot.

It's significantly less superhero-y than other superhero movies of late.

Return to “Popular Culture”