“It’s me” Fraud

Step right up for 3-card Monte...
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: “It’s me” Fraud

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:34 pm

What? Another one?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:11 am

Today I received a call from a cyber-crime unit of the Osaka police department. It seems that three years ago my IP address was used in an internet banking fraud – withdrawing monies from the bank account of a man in Osaka Japan. They have agreed to come see me, look at our PCs, the WIFI router, and service documents in order to obtain a lead on the perpetrator. They say that they do not suspect me, but who knows, right? Anyway, I am squeaky clean in all areas. But there is a bit of a problem. Since the crime was committed in January of 2014, my PC from that time is long gone, having had a power serge meltdown. I do have a receipt for its disposal. And our WIFI router has been replaced too.

But come they will – 5 of them, flying up from Osaka and renting a car to drive out my way. They will need to spend the night – no doubt at an onsen-hotel, with good sake, I suspect.

They will look at devices, ask questions, apply electric shock, hang me from my ankles, tickle me into confession, etc., etc. Just to be sure, I asked them to meet me at the local police station, so that I get proof positive that they are actually police, and not a fraud group looking to score another sucker.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:07 am

Now I'm being to wonder if it really is me. :bag:
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:33 pm

TJrandom wrote:They say that they do not suspect me, but who knows, right?

Hell, I suspect you.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:42 am

My mother was very good at spotting "it's me" scams. When I was young, I'd often stand in front of my mother and ask for my lunch money for school and she would say "Who are you?" I'd say "it's me Matthew" and she would sensibly ask for some sort of identification papers or my drivers licence or passport, which I could not produce. :D

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:27 am

TJrandom wrote: Just to be sure, I asked them to meet me at the local police station, so that I get proof positive that they are actually police, and not a fraud group looking to score another sucker.

Good idea

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:05 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:My mother was very good at spotting "it's me" scams. When I was young, I'd often stand in front of my mother and ask for my lunch money for school and she would say "Who are you?" I'd say "it's me Matthew" and she would sensibly ask for some sort of identification papers or my drivers licence or passport, which I could not produce. :D

But you've learned how to make your own now, right?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Return to “Scams and Con Games”