"Canadian Revenue Agency" Scam

Step right up for 3-card Monte...
Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

"Canadian Revenue Agency" Scam

Postby Gord » Wed May 20, 2015 9:27 pm

My mother just called me, a bit freaked out. She has a message on her answering machine which claims to be from the Canadian Revenue Agency, saying they are launching a lawsuit against someone (they didn't even get anyone's name right; the message was for someone who doesn't even exist). It was an automated message, and gave a number to call back (6135188031).

I just laughed.

But she wasn't amused, so I googled it up for her. It's a scam. People who have called the number have been told they owe money, which they don't. The person on the other end of the line doesn't know anything plausible about the CRA, or even Canada, for that matter -- one caller asked for the documents to be mailed out, and the woman he was talking to asked him what state he lived in! :lol:

Others have complained because they get these calls at 3 or 4 in the morning. Gee, I wonder what country would be calling us when it's that time here? Let's see; if it's 3 or 4 am where I am, at UTC - 6, then in Nigeria (let's just pretend) at UTC +1, it would be, what? 8 or 9 in the evening?

:laff:

The CRA's website warns people about such scams: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/nwsrm/lrts/201 ... 7-eng.html

Beware of telephone and email scams

Ottawa, Ontario, February 27, 2015... The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) warns you to beware of telephone calls or emails that claim to be from the CRA but are not. These are phishing and other fraudulent scams that could result in identity and financial theft.

You should be especially aware of phishing scams asking for information such as credit card, bank account, and passport numbers. The CRA would never ask for this type of information. Some of these scams ask for this personal information directly, and others refer to a website resembling the CRA’s, where you are asked to confirm your identity by entering personal information. You should not click on links included in these emails. Email scams may also contain embedded malicious software that can harm your computer and put your personal information at risk.

Some recent telephone scams involve threatening or forceful language to scare you into paying fictitious debt to the CRA. If you get such a call, hang up and report it to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre —see contact information below.

Some recent email scams involve telling you that you are entitled to a refund of a specific amount or telling you that your tax assessment has been verified and you are getting a tax refund. These emails often have CRA logos or Internet links that look official. Some contain obvious grammar or spelling mistakes.

These types of communication are not from the CRA. When the CRA calls you, it has established procedures in place to make sure your personal information is protected. If you want to confirm the authenticity of a CRA telephone number, call the CRA by using the numbers on its Telephone numbers page. The number for business-related calls is 1-800-959-5525. The number for calls about individual concerns is 1-800-959-8281.

To help you identify possible scams, you can use the following guidelines:

The CRA:

• never asks for information about your passport, health card, or driver’s licence;
• never shares your taxpayer information with another person, unless you have provided the appropriate authorization; and
• never leaves personal information on your answering machine or asks you to leave a message containing your personal information on an answering machine.

When in doubt, ask yourself the following:

• Am I expecting money from the CRA?
• Does this sound too good to be true?
• Is the requester asking for information I would not include with my tax return?
• Is the requester asking for information I know the CRA already has on file for me?
• How did the requester get my email address or telephone number?
• Am I confident I know who is asking for the information?
• Is there a reason that the CRA may be calling? Do I have a tax balance outstanding?

The CRA has strong practices to protect the confidentiality of taxpayer information. The confidence and trust that individuals and businesses have in the CRA is a cornerstone of Canada’s tax system. For more information about the security of taxpayer information and other examples of fraudulent communications, go to www.cra.gc.ca/security.

Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre

For information on scams, to report deceptive telemarketing, or if you have given personal or financial information unwittingly, contact the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre online at www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca or toll free at 1-888-495-8501.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Re: "Canadian Revenue Agency" Scam

Postby TJrandom » Wed May 20, 2015 10:35 pm

Lots of banking scams out there too. I quite regularly receive emails from banks here asking me to follow the link and enter information so that they can confirm my account details. It all looks legit of course, but those links never get clicked. Not least of all because I don`t have accounts with them, and never did.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Wed May 20, 2015 11:00 pm

And, just in case anyone didn't know, hovering your mouse pointer over such a "link" usually shows you where your response will REALLY go.

loupgarous

Postby loupgarous » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:59 pm

Oddly, phishing scams tend to be much worse in yahoo.com's Email. I religiously click the "spam" drop-down menu and select "report phishing spam" for these, but Yahoo! apparently isn't jiggy with IP blocks, the same scams from the same folks keep popping up.

Of course, the scams coming from yahoo.com accounts, you'd think they could shut down in a New York minute, but no. Those guys just keep opening new yahoo.com accounts with different names, but the same misspellings. One hopes Verizon can kick a little corporate ass in this regard since they bought Yahoo!... how hard can it be to block people using the same ISP IP address from using Yahoo!'s Email for phishing expeditions to get newbs' banking data?

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:32 am

It's funny, 'cause my mother just got another one of these scam phone calls the other day. This time the caller's accent was so thick and his English so poor that we've listened to the message repeatedly without understanding two of his sentences.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:16 am

We automatically screen all incoming calls - and never answer one from a `free-dial` number (toll free in the US), nor one from a number that isn`t already registered in our phone memory. If legitimate, the caller can leave a message and we will return the call if we so choose. Rarely do we find recorded messages, so are turning down scammers, salesmen, etc.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:45 am

Nobody I know screens calls on purpose anymore, they're all just too lazy to get up and find the phone so all calls go to the machine or the messaging service.
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:12 am

I screen all calls. It's all I can do. My phone broke. :?
Hi, Io the lurker.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:18 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:I screen all calls. It's all I can do. My phone broke. :?

Nice! How'd you do that? :scratch:
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:01 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:I screen all calls. It's all I can do. My phone broke. :?

Nice! How'd you do that? :scratch:

I had help. By them cranks that switched switches for crappy buttons. :glare:
Hi, Io the lurker.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:09 pm

Phones never had switches... switchboards, but not handset switches... :oldman:

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:23 pm

TJrandom wrote:Phones never had switches... switchboards, but not handset switches... :oldman:

Please hold.... *psst... hey.... I think... um.... "Ask them.."...* ...What universe do you live in? :boggle:
Hi, Io the lurker.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:29 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
TJrandom wrote:Phones never had switches... switchboards, but not handset switches... :oldman:

Please hold.... *psst... hey.... I think... um.... "Ask them.."...* ...What universe do you live in? :boggle:

RL.. I think. :)

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:41 pm

TJrandom wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:

RL.. I think. :)

* hey... pssstt.... a Romulan!....... * ...Ooohkay, live long and prosper then... :nose:
Hi, Io the lurker.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:58 pm

I don't have any phone at all. Total Skype. It gets spam but easy to delete when I log in to make a call. /// Lots of spam and fishing email though.

IS THIS TRUE: emails are immune from viruses if you just open and read. I read that on researching a spam mail that I wanted to read. That would include NOT clicking on an attachment just to read it....just the primary email itself.

I think that is true...so all my junk, rats, and log kits are from websites I visit....... if you know what I mean? Ha, ha.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:24 pm

NoMoRoBo.com It works. It's free. I use it.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:18 am

Luckily, we don`t get robo calls - ours are all human - human scum, maybe - but at least human.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:13 am

I love the fake "tax office" phone calls. I try to keep them going as long as possible before asking them to confirm my imaginary Tax File Number. That normally ends to conversation.

However the newer scam is the Indian call centre that rings, introduces themselves as "The Claims Centre" and asks which family member had a car accident in the last year.

I don't know what the actual scam is. I assume they charge a fee, from victims, in lieu of releasing some magical compensation payment.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:33 am

TJrandom wrote:Luckily, we don`t get robo calls - ours are all human - human scum, maybe - but at least human.

You do get robo calls then. The calls are dialed by computer, not humans. If you've ever answered the phone and nobody responded you got a robo call. The dead air is because there was nobody on the other end available to push that blinking light and talk to you.

And yes, there are robo calls with recorded messages meant to keep you on the phone until a live person gets to you, but they're easily ignored, no?

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:59 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
TJrandom wrote:Luckily, we don`t get robo calls - ours are all human - human scum, maybe - but at least human.

You do get robo calls then. The calls are dialed by computer, not humans. If you've ever answered the phone and nobody responded you got a robo call. The dead air is because there was nobody on the other end available to push that blinking light and talk to you.

And yes, there are robo calls with recorded messages meant to keep you on the phone until a live person gets to you, but they're easily ignored, no?

Agreed - that call-center type automated calling exists, but I have never experienced silence, nor a tape. I`m just guessing, but I suspect they are outlawed and with major fines, so don`t happen here. But then again, I wouldn`t really know - since we simply stopped taking `unknown` calls about 6 years ago.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:36 am

You'd get calls that just inside the zone of legality, if not just outside. The crooks are always one step ahead of the laws.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:50 am

Sometimes we get robocalls with a human who isn't there at the beginning. They usually end up on the answering machine going "hello? hello?? is anyone there?? this is Bill from not-India and I'm calling to not scam you? hello??? *click*"
#ANDAMOVIE

grovalmitch

Postby grovalmitch » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:47 am

Phishing scams are attempts by scammers to trick you into giving out your personal information such as your bank account numbers, passwords and credit card numbers. More about...phishing

Mitch

Return to “Scams and Con Games”