Handwritten Cards & Spirit Guides

Step right up for 3-card Monte...
Kripayne

Handwritten Cards & Spirit Guides

Postby Kripayne » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:06 am

Wondering if anybody has any insight into this particular method of people using spirit guides to "see." The particular incident happened back in the late 60s, maybe early 70s. Here's the setup:

Christian individual is asked for handwritten card, name on front and any ailments on back by co-worker to take to some sort of psychic or medium sort of conference. The person listed one ailment. This Christian also believes any psychic powers or anything of the sort is of course Satanic, and so prays over the card that whoever tries to "read" it won't be able to.

Short story even shorter, co-worker calls and says two people who tried to read the card couldn't and started shaking, and accused whoever wrote it of "being on drugs." Co-worker did not know about the praying over the card.

I'm quite a bit skeptical about what all may have happened at the conference, and the Christian telling the tale wasn't there to be able to report anything other than what the co-worker reported. Generally spirit guide readings and such work with the participation of the individual in question. I haven't been able to find anything on mediums using spirit guides to read handwritten cards in this fashion. There is some work on graphology, but this doesn't seem to be that. Anyone know anything about this particular tactic?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: Handwritten Cards & Spirit Guides

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:34 pm

Con conned cons?

The only thing I know about cards to be filled out and later read by a medium are those at shows. And they are literally read and fed to the medium - via a headset.
Hi, Io the lurker.

digress
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: doomer

Postby digress » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:33 pm

Kripayne wrote:Anyone know anything about this particular tactic?

Yes, the tactic is called story telling. But you may find this answer unsatisfactory.
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

Doubting Thomas
Poster

Postby Doubting Thomas » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:23 pm

Humans seem to enjoy acting out fantasies. This seems to be quite common when you think Star Trek Conventions, Halloween parties, rock concerts and many social gatherings. People seem to seek out others with similar fantasies, some seem quite bizarre and amusing but usually harmless. They often take on the appearance and personality of the object of their fantasy. I know of some couples who frequently enjoy a fantasy date night.

The most common type of role playing is the persona that many assume while in the work place. We humans are actors, it allow us to adapt to changing environments. Role playing for many people is most likely a temporary escape from a mundane existence or a stressful lifestyle. The internet makes this even easier, as one need not even divulge his true identity,

Religious gatherings are no exception, some like to be the healer and others like to be healed while still others enjoy just observing. It is harmless fun, but it often seems strange to the casual observer. Movies, sporting events, theatrical plays are all forms of entertainment, none of which are real but people often describe them as if they were real.
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool. – William Shakespeare

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:41 pm

Doubting Thomas wrote:...
Religious gatherings are no exception, some like to be the healer and others like to be healed while still others enjoy just observing. It is harmless fun...

It is not harmless fun if people forgo valid medical advise and/or treatment because of such.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Doubting Thomas
Poster

Postby Doubting Thomas » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:12 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Religious gatherings are no exception, some like to be the healer and others like to be healed while still others enjoy just observing. It is harmless fun...

It is not harmless fun if people forgo valid medical advise and/or treatment because of such.

People make poor decisions with respect to their health and their healthcare for a variety of reasons.
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool. – William Shakespeare

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:15 pm

Doubting Thomas wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:

People make poor decisions with respect to their health and their healthcare for a variety of reasons.

True. But often they do seek advise from those around them they trust. Should they trust a misguided person, or most likely worse, an outright charlatan?
Hi, Io the lurker.

Doubting Thomas
Poster

Postby Doubting Thomas » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:47 pm

A few years ago I worked with a woman who sought homeopathic treatment for cancer rather than medical treatment, she died within two years. She was well educated and a sensible person, it's sad I know, but she had her own reasons for her decision.

I know that there are some religions that promote prayer rather than medical treatment, but that is a different different set of circumstances.

http://content.time.com/time/nation/art ... 52,00.html

Return to “Scams and Con Games”