KoR SKaM

Step right up for 3-card Monte...
JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

KoR SKaM

Postby JO 753 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:12 pm

Posted an ad to sell a steering weel on a fairly obscure website for a Imperialz and other classic big Kryslerz.

I didnt expect to get much respons, if any. Not a hi demand part for a not particularly popular car. Not like Chargerz, Challengerz, or other brand musl carz frum the late 60z early 70z.

I also wuznt expecting to get the old bogus big check skam, but I did!

Hello,
How are you? My name is John,this is in regard to your posted ad on Imperialclub.com Please could you tell me if the item in the advert is still for sale? What is your asking price? Perhaps more pics if available.And could you also tell me more about its present condition.
I will await your response.Write back soon.

Thank You.

John.

I saw that it wuz probably a scam immediately, but I wuuznt 100% sure. Coud possibly be a foriegner with less than normal familiarity with English or internet communicationz , like sumwun in Holland or Poland where the big Chryslerz have alot uv afficianadoz. So I replied:

Its still available.

100$ + shipping.

Thanks, JO

Then today I got a reply:

Hi,
Thanks for the mail, I really appreciate your prompt reply... First,I'm okay with your asking price, secondly i don't want you to bother about the shipping process,I have a shipping company that handles my shipments when ever am not around to take care of things myself,All you need do is to keep the item in a safe and good condition.

I am not around at the moment because my wife is about to give birth and she insisted i had to be with her during that special moment of her life and being her first time,so pls bear with me and lets finish this sale as i have make all arrangements.I will instruct my client to issue out a Money Order to you, When you get the payment you are to deduct your $100 our agreed price and send the remaining funds on the MO to my shipper via Western Union or Money Gram to enable him come down to your location for the pickup. I know you will be wondering why can't i handle the shipping directly,you are right i am not able to do that because am not around at the moment i had to be with my wife till she put to bed but i will be in touch with you and the shipper that will handle shipment without any problem at all.

It takes 1-2 working days to clear a Money Order, so be rest assured that MO must clear before pickup. Notify me immediately when you get the funds so i will email you with my shipper's information who will be coming for the pickup at your location.You are to also deduct $50 from the money for the stress and hazzle you may go through in cashing and wire the remaining funds to my shipper... I'm sure you can await the payment in the mail, It will be sent to the Information you will provide for me as requested below:

Full name...
Residential address...
City..
State..
Zipcode...
Cell Phone number...
Home Phone number...

Can you remove the ad posting and consider it sold to me and ill appreciate if you can do that today ok..I will be looking forward to read from you.I just cant wait to see my first born,i will be checking my email often to keep in touch with you.

Regard.

Thank You.

John.

100% certain that its the standard skam now.

Lets see how long I can string them along.

JO 753
Has No Life

Re: KoR SKaM

Postby JO 753 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:31 pm

Sent this:

Hi John

Jo ann Stephens
2931 w. Leland
Chicago IL 60625

Good luck with your triplets! Scorpio is rising, so they are likely to be a handful, and given the ascendant moon, girls. Have your wife take asparagus essence supplimentals and witch hazel or at least clover incense to be sure they are properly validated to their sign. Nothing like getting off on the right foot in life!

Jo

Iz it evil to mess with skammerz?

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:39 pm

I'm with you. It's an odd one, though. What's the angle? You want $100. I'll send you, what, $200? You take $100+$50 for your trouble, and wire the rest? What if you just keep the money, don't wire any money, and keep the part? Tell me {!#%@} off, never got it.

Well, and I don't know if you're saying it's a car scam, core scam, or Korean Republic scam.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:59 pm

fromthehills wrote:I'm with you. It's an odd one, though. What's the angle? You want $100. I'll send you, what, $200? You take $100+$50 for your trouble, and wire the rest? What if you just keep the money, don't wire any money, and keep the part? Tell me {!#%@} off, never got it.

Well, and I don't know if you're saying it's a car scam, core scam, or Korean Republic scam.

Except that payment is no good, and JO would end up sending the remaining money out of his own account, never to be seen again.

It's a well known scam, the poor English actually is part of it.

I've seen or read of it a while ago. They also will send a fake confirmation of the alleged payment made out to you, forgot exactly how, but it's being mistaken for the real deal.
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lard, save me from your followers.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:11 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
fromthehills wrote:I'm with you. It's an odd one, though. What's the angle? You want $100. I'll send you, what, $200? You take $100+$50 for your trouble, and wire the rest? What if you just keep the money, don't wire any money, and keep the part? Tell me {!#%@} off, never got it.

Except that payment is no good, and JO would end up sending the remaining money out of his own account, never to be seen again.

It's a well known scam, the poor English actually is part of it.

Except that JO can wait for a MO or check to clear. It isn't like the phony deposit or rubber check scams where he has to send the goods or give a refund before he has his share in his grubby little fists.

It sounds to me like "The Operation"
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:15 pm

Yeah, I'm trying to remember how exactly it's pulled off, hence the edit. :oops:

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:26 pm

Here's one that promised a check http://andykehoe.blogspot.com/2013/07/t ... -scam.html
Am trying to find the one I'm thinking of...

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:42 pm

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:43 pm

Pirana brotherz! :lol: So I'd actually get the money kuz they gooft up the skam part uv the skam!

I didnt really pay attention to the detailz uv the payment till now. I just assumed it wuz the same rubber check deal like they tried on me in 2005 or 6, so theyd blow 20$ FedExing the check.

Can a bogus money order clear and then sum time later turn out to be bogus?

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:22 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Here's one that promised a check.

I thot I'd posted the skam from 06 here, but this topic catagory only appearz to go back to 2010.

In that wun, I had an 88 Accura and kept the emailz & fone callz going for 3 months. They FedExed a check for 4,000$ that wuz from a mining company. It wuz a real check, so it may hav actually cleared for a wile.

Got pretty funny after I rote 'thanks for picking up the car today', then created a story uv bank robberz using it and fatalityz rezulting in the ensuing chase. They sounded jenuinely panicked! "How can sumwun get into your compound and take the car?"

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:25 pm

JO 753 wrote:Pirana brotherz! :lol: So I'd actually get the money kuz they gooft up the skam part uv the skam!

I didnt really pay attention to the detailz uv the payment till now. I just assumed it wuz the same rubber check deal like they tried on me in 2005 or 6, so theyd blow 20$ FedExing the check.

Can a bogus money order clear and then sum time later turn out to be bogus?

I don't think so. When you buy a mo, the number goes into a database. If the number isn't there when it is presented for cashing, it don't cash. Likewise, the status of the mo is there in the database. If the purchaser of the mo tries to recover his money with his receipt, perhaps claiming the mo was lost, the teller can see right there in the db where and when and by whom the mo was cashed. So, no refund. If they tried to claim you had stolen the mo, they would probably have to go to court to get their money from you - the bank wouldn't do it.

There may be a flaw somewhere in the system, but I'm not aware aware of any. I handled scads of mos in a job I had for 8 years, never a hint of a problem.

They are not like checks, which are vulnerable to scams.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:26 pm

fromthehills wrote:and I don't know if you're saying it's a car scam, core scam, or Korean Republic scam.

Yes, you do know, kuz you arent a moron. You just want to rezist Nooalf, kuz your inner groundzkeeper iz complaining about the cement crumbling.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:29 pm

JO 753 wrote:
fromthehills wrote:and I don't know if you're saying it's a car scam, core scam, or Korean Republic scam.

Yes, you do know, kuz you arent a moron. You just want to rezist Nooalf, kuz your inner groundzkeeper iz complaining about the cement crumbling.

No, my inner groundzkeeper is complaining that the cement is rancid buffalo droppings.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:35 pm

Hmm. Maybe they uze the tranzaction just to get your bank account #? Or send a fake MO and make excusez and try to get you to send the overpayment refund anyway?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:38 pm

Some PayPal scams seem to do something like that
I’ve seen this one before when my dad tried to sell his motorcycle on craigslist. She’ll send you a phishing link to setup a paypal account, but it won’t go to paypal. You’ll enter your credit card and bank details into a website that looks like paypal, but is owned by scammers.

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/philg/2013 ... s-it-work/

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:41 pm

Ransid bufalo droppingz!? Thats a nasty thing to say about your own brain!

But I suspect that you didnt intend it that way; that you dont get the 'cement hed' idea and maybe didnt notis that I wuz adressing FTH.

And besidez, I dont think poop goez ransid.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:23 am

fromthehills wrote:I'm with you. It's an odd one, though. What's the angle? You want $100. I'll send you, what, $200? You take $100+$50 for your trouble, and wire the rest?

What if it's a COD delivery, and you have to pay something like $25 to get the $200 money order that turns out to be worthless?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:08 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
JO 753 wrote:

No, my inner groundzkeeper is complaining that the cement is rancid buffalo droppings.

Yeah, JO's referring to what he sees as two kinds of people. People that write in nooalf ( him), and cement heads ( the rest of the English speaking world ).

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:10 pm

Gord wrote:
fromthehills wrote:I'm with you. It's an odd one, though. What's the angle? You want $100. I'll send you, what, $200? You take $100+$50 for your trouble, and wire the rest?

What if it's a COD delivery, and you have to pay something like $25 to get the $200 money order that turns out to be worthless?

Perhaps. But you are right, so far it's the bait, and the switch will come.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:51 pm

Got this email 3 timez in 3 minits this morning:
>>>>
Hello,
How are you doing Today.Am glad to inform you that the Payment will be Delivered to you Today by USPS.

Instructions:Once you receive the check today,Deposit the Check in your Bank and get back to me with the exact Date your Bank says the check will Clear,it should clear within 24 to 48hrs.

Once again do get back to me with the exact Date your bank says the Payment will Clear so i can email you Instructions regarding where the Shipping funds will be Sent to enable the shipper arrive your place for the pick up.

Make sure it’s clean and ready for pick up,this is very important please.Will be waiting to hear from you Today.

Thank You..

John Holmes
howardscott31@aol.com <<<<<<<

SweetPea
Has No Life
Custom Title: Too Cute

Postby SweetPea » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:03 pm

what you'll be getting ? a Wadd of cash, buddy!

Wait a minute! Is that one of those square steering wheels?
How do the Deniers get so lucky?
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24129

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:45 pm

I think youre on to sumthing there! Must be sum reazon he picked that name.

A punch line in need uv a joke.
"That aint no steering weel! And elefants cant drive anyhow!"

I wunder wut whoevr livez at that adres will think wen they get the check.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:00 pm

OOPS!

Checked Googledy maps. Looks like there iz no hows at that ajres. A bad omen for Mrs Holmes' babyz.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:12 pm

fromthehills wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
JO 753 wrote:

Yeah, JO's referring to what he sees as two kinds of people. People that write in nooalf ( him), and cement heads ( the rest of the English speaking world ).

You are correct, I misunderstood JO. However, I don't mind at all being a cement head if that means I don't have to write in nooalf.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:33 pm

Not for long.

I made deal with the TRPeRZE SPID (aleinz); they will be supplying me with 100,000,000 battl bots to impliment the global conversion program.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:02 am

JO 753 wrote:ajres

You're kidding.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:05 am

You shoud lissin more carefully. All sorts uv oddityz like that.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:32 am

JO 753 wrote:You shoud lissin more carefully. All sorts uv oddityz like that.

No one pronounces "address" with a j.
#ANDAMOVIE

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:06 pm

Oh! Address. {!#%@} hell.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:16 pm

Beautiful. I spat my coffee out. :lol:

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:38 pm

Gord wrote:No one pronounces "address" with a j.

Obi JO Kenobi: You must unlrn wut you hav lrnd and act on instinct!

Gord: But with the blast shield down, I cant see the TV! How am I supoze to argue with O'Rielly?

Obi JO, running to a safe distans after handing him the majik sord that can slice thru anything: STRECH OUT WITH YOUR FEELINGZ! LISSIN TO WHERE THE SOUND IZ COMING FROM THEN HACK DOWN WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH!

Luke, er, I mean Gord, after hacking a the furniture to bits, cutting several chunks uv floor and cieling out that fortunately didnt lead to the vacuum uv empty space and finally slicing the TV in haf: I shoud hav found the remote insted! I did shut Bill O'Rielly up, but now the TV iz ded and my house needz sum serious carpentry work. Teach me more!

OBi JO, dizzy frum the laftr: But did you hear how peeps will usually say J insted uv D before R, sumtimez an indistinct mix uv D & J?
Last edited by JO 753 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:13 pm

Got this today from Phantavanh Phouangphet

>>>>
I would like to read from you with some details concerning your advert ....on site
Your Last asking price..
Hope is still available
The condition at the moment
Regards
<<<<<<

Likely thats the same guy.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:42 pm

Email #1 frum Jonny H today titled Call The Post Office:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Your Tracking Information
Last Scan: November 4, 2013 9:06 pm Undeliverable as Addressed CHICAGO, IL 60625
Carrier: US Postal Service
US Postal Service Tracking Number: 9410803699300049639119
Scan History:
November 4, 2013 9:06 pm Undeliverable as Addressed CHICAGO, IL 60625
November 4, 2013 8:10 pm Available for Pickup CHICAGO, IL 60625
November 4, 2013 8:37 am Out for Delivery CHICAGO, IL 60625
November 4, 2013 8:27 am Sorting Complete CHICAGO, IL 60625
November 4, 2013 5:37 am Arrival at Post Office CHICAGO, IL 60625
November 3, 2013 Depart USPS Sort Facility ELK GROVE VILLAGE, IL 60007
November 3, 2013 1:09 am Processed through USPS Sort Facility ELK GROVE VILLAGE, IL 60007
November 2, 2013 Depart USPS Sort Facility HARRISBURG, PA 17107
November 1, 2013 10:35 pm Processed through USPS Sort Facility HARRISBURG, PA 17107
November 1, 2013 Electronic Shipping Info Received ,

John Holmes
howardscott31@aol.com
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

#2 titled Pick Up Envelope At Post Office:
>>>>>>>
Hi,
The Post Office could not Deliver the envelope to your address due to some error in your address.Kindly go to the nearest post office and pick up the envelope.Provide them with this Tracking Number:9410 8036 9930 0049 6391 19

Get back to me Today once you have picked up the check and as well Deposited.

Thank You.

John Holmes
howardscott31@aol.com<<<<

#3 same title & content.

And more frum Pravantabh herez the grouped exchanje:
>>>>>
Yes and how am going to send it and how the goods will be here with me

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 5:10 PM, "nooalf@aol.com" <nooalf@aol.com> wrote:
Could you send cash?

-----Original Message-----
To: nooalf <nooalf@aol.com>
Sent: Tue, Nov 5, 2013 9:37 am
Subject: Re: 73 NY steering wheel green -

let me know how am going to make the payment

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 3:09 PM, "nooalf@aol.com" <nooalf@aol.com> wrote:
There is a picture in the ad and the condition is stated.

Someone has said they sent a check already, but if it does not show up, the steering wheel is of course still for sale. What model car do you have?

Jo
<<<<<<<<<<
:D

Anybody here in Chicago? You coud go to the Ravenswood post office and get the envelope! C'mon! it'l be funny! I coud say I went there after and sumbody got it alredy. :D

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:45 pm

JO 753 wrote:But did you hear how peeps will usually say J insted uv D before R, sumtimez an indistinct mix uv D & J?

No. No one does that. I don't think it's even possible to pronounce a word with a J before an R -- the closest I can get sounds a bit like "azure".
#ANDAMOVIE

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:49 pm

Gord wrote:
JO 753 wrote:But did you hear how peeps will usually say J insted uv D before R, sumtimez an indistinct mix uv D & J?

No. No one does that. I don't think it's even possible to pronounce a word with a J before an R -- the closest I can get sounds a bit like "azure".

I ajree with you. So who shot JR?

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:51 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gord wrote:

I ajree with you. So who shot JR?

Nurse: "Paging Dr. Smith, paging Dr. Smith."
Patient: "I'm Jr. Smith."
Nurse: "Orderly, please remove this man back to the mental ward, would you?"
#ANDAMOVIE

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:38 pm

Its a complex mental prosess thats completely automatic - wut you hear iz being reinterpretted to conform to wut you believe to be the proper pronounciation. So you dont hear that the T in wordz such az 'plants' iz not actually there, even with the best oratorz. Therez bunchez uv thingz like this that I havent really thot about yet.

Its not particularly useful to be able to pick apart wordz in a normal conversation into the actual soundz, so nobody develops the skill. I expect sumwun who learnz English az a second languaje woud hav a better chans than an adult nativ speaker.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:31 am

JO 753 wrote: So you dont hear that the T in wordz such az 'plants' iz not actually there, even with the best oratorz.

It most certainly is there.

And there's a whole lot of difference between 'adieu' and 'adjure'.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:20 am

JO 753 wrote:Its a complex mental prosess thats completely automatic - wut you hear iz being reinterpretted to conform to wut you believe to be the proper pronounciation. So you dont hear that the T in wordz such az 'plants' iz not actually there, even with the best oratorz. Therez bunchez uv thingz like this that I havent really thot about yet.

Its not particularly useful to be able to pick apart wordz in a normal conversation into the actual soundz, so nobody develops the skill. I expect sumwun who learnz English az a second languaje woud hav a better chans than an adult nativ speaker.

There are people who do break down speech into its sounds. There are whole areas of science about it.
#ANDAMOVIE

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:29 am

Yes Linguistics. And yet here you are disagreeing with me on stuf you coud hear for yourself without any equipment.

Return to “Scams and Con Games”