Marcello Bacci

Step right up for 3-card Monte...
Matt Baumann

Marcello Bacci

Postby Matt Baumann » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:52 am

Has anyone heard of the "psychic" Marcello Bacci? Someone keeps telling me he is the "real deal", and I'm positive he's another cold reader like John Edward. Has he ever been debunked?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: Marcello Bacci

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:12 am

A Marcello Bacci was mentioned here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18658#p296358.

If it's not the same guy, why don't you give more information. A link, perhaps?
Hi, Io the lurker.

axekicker78

Postby axekicker78 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:45 am

Bacci is a unique medium in that he doesn't do the communicating, but serves as a conduit through his old valve radio. But before you write this off as more EVP simulacrum (most of which strains credulity), the voices that emerge from Bacci's radio are very clear, distinct and veritable. His phenomenon has been studied quite extensively to the point of having all the valves removed from the radio, the radio being placed in a Faraday cage, and at one point, unplugged altogether -- and yet the voices still emitted from the device up to a minute after the device was turned off. When Bacci isn't present, the radio fails to produce sound, indicating that he, and not the radio, is the medium. Studies were in the presence of numerous skeptics and scientists as well. The best they could come up with was, "Bacci's mediumship is inconclusive." But the Bacci case is perhaps the strongest evidence to date to support mediumship, as nutty as it sounds. I actually think this would win the Randi prize, because all the variables of medium/sitter dynamics aren't part of the protocol. But if Randi actually looked into this beyond his usual ad-hominem invective, there's no way he would accept the challenge -- because this one appears to be real, and repeatable, and it's already survived prior skeptical inquiry on more than one occasion. Read this: http://theafterlifesociety.com/2013/07/ ... oved-ones/. He's also featured in the doc, The Scole Experiment on YouTube.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:53 pm

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4179

...Unfortunately, the Scole Experiment was tainted by profound investigative failings. In short, the investigators imposed little or no controls or restrictions upon the mediums, and at the same time, agreed to all of the restrictions imposed by the mediums. The mediums were in control of the seances, not the investigators. What the Scole Report authors describe as a scientific investigation of the phenomena, was in fact (by any reasonable interpretation of the scientific method) hampered by a set of rules which explicitly prevented any scientific investigation of the phenomena....

...Believers in the Scole Experiment are likely to point to specifics in the Scole Report and say something like "But according to the detailed notes, the medium never moved his hands," or something like that. But we have to remember that, assuming the Scole mediums were using trickery, the authors of the Scole Report were merely witnesses who were taken in by the tricks. Of course their report is likely to, and does, state that they could not have been fooled. This is a perfect example of confirmation bias. These Society for Psychical Research fellows firmly believed they were witnessing genuine spirit phenomena, and desired a positive outcome. They followed the mediums' instructions to the T and acted as an audience only and not as investigators. The Scole Report details the authors' perceptions of what happened in the room; no reader has cause to believe it describes what actually happened in the room....

...If I go to Penn & Teller's magic show to look for evidence of deception, but I impose the rule that I have to stay in my seat and watch the show as presented, and I'm not allowed to go onstage and examine the performers or the equipment, or watch from behind, or observe the preparations, I guarantee you that I also will find no evidence of deception. Placing illuminated wrist cuffs on the seance mediums, and allowing no further controls, is perfectly analogous to having Teller show you his arms "Hey, look, nothing up my sleeves," then allowing him total control over everything that follows. It can reasonably be argued that the Scole Experiment investigators (whether deliberately or through near-total investigative incompetence) created the conditions of a stage show designed to fool an audience....

:?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:55 pm

axekicker78 wrote:... But if Randi actually looked into this beyond his usual ad-hominem invective, there's no way he would accept the challenge -- because this one appears to be real, and repeatable, and it's already survived prior skeptical inquiry on more than one occasion. Read this: http://theafterlifesociety.com/2013/07/ ... oved-ones/. He's also featured in the doc, The Scole Experiment on YouTube.

A million dollars there for the taking then. Rather than saying that Randi would not accept the challenge, why not go for it? What's to lose?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:36 pm

axekicker78 wrote:But before you write this off as more EVP simulacrum (most of which strains credulity), the voices that emerge from Bacci's radio are very clear, distinct and veritable. His phenomenon has been studied quite extensively to the point of having all the valves removed from the radio, the radio being placed in a Faraday cage, and at one point, unplugged altogether -- and yet the voices still emitted from the device up to a minute after the device was turned off.

So the valves and radio are just magic props? He's manipulating the magnet on the back of the speaker by radio or HF Modulated sound waves? . Is the speaker cone definitely making the noise? A phase analysis should determine this. That's what we need to concentrate on, if anyone has any ongoing interest.

What footage do we have to review?

Return to “Scams and Con Games”