Tech support caller scams

Step right up for 3-card Monte...
Pyrrho
Administrator

Tech support caller scams

Postby Pyrrho » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:46 am

For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Re: Tech support caller scams

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:59 am

I'm getting these phone calls at home in Australia at the moment. They offer a free computer "check up" if I connect to their website. I assume they will tell me to turn off my software protection. I'm guessing the calls come from India by the delay. I simply say "I apologise but there are warnings in the newspapers saying not to connect to these sorts of services"

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:01 pm

I'm safe, I don't have a phone.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:48 pm

What exactly is the scam? Do you connect to their site and get a virus, or are they getting people's information off of the computer, or trying to get your credit card number?

I listened to a few calls off of the link, but I can't figure out what they're trying to do. Just curious.

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Postby vanderpoel » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:07 pm

fromthehills wrote:What exactly is the scam? Do you connect to their site and get a virus, or are they getting people's information off of the computer, or trying to get your credit card number?

I listened to a few calls off of the link, but I can't figure out what they're trying to do. Just curious.

It's a mind bot, once you click the link it mutates your nucleotides and you can no longer figure things out. It also makes you curious.
"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:09 pm

They charge you money. They put software onto your computer. And they do these things deceptively, as they are not associated with the people they claim they are associated with.

I don't know what the software does, but if they did that to my computer, their purpose wouldn't really matter to me. I'd want to kneecap the bastards.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:47 am

Kept the guy on the fone for 15 minits with various little problemz. He wanted me to hold the Windowz key and hit r.

I sed nothing happened. Then I rememberd I'd cleaned the keybord a few weeks ago but didnt bother with the Windowz key kuz I never uze it.

"Let me try tapping it a bunch uv timez" and I made a rattling noize on the waste basket. (you see, I'm not in front uv my computer, az he beleevz, I'm actually sitting on the toilet) Then I say I saw a little blink on the screen so I'll try with the r agen.

"OK sumthing came up now, but I cant read it kuz I dont hav my glassez. Can you hold on till I get them?" He sez yes.

I go back to reading NASA Tek Briefs.

I finish the article about aircraft mounted turbulans detection, finish my paperwork, then get back to the offis.

A few minits later, I ask if he'z still there. Yes!

"I knew youre a skammer befor I even ansrd the call. I wanted to hear them kicking in the door, but apparently I haf to end the call now."

"You are joking?"

"No. Youv been trased. Bi!"

Then he kept calling so I turned the fone off.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:15 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Lard, save me from your followers.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:31 am

I just tell them "Your mother {!#%@} elephants in Hell." It's fun to hear the spitting, hissing and pure fury on the other end.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:31 pm

We never take a phone call from an unknown number - unless they have left a prior message that identifies them as being someone we wish to speak with. A real time saver.

Return to “Scams and Con Games”