I wonder what this email is about?

Step right up for 3-card Monte...
Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

I wonder what this email is about?

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:39 am

Matthew here. I received the following email on my work computer.

"My name is Miss awa Murrey i was going throught this site now and i saw your email at http://www.holocaust-history.org i like it and i believe you are the right person i am looking for,i will like you to send me an email at my email for me to give you my beautiful pictures and tell you more about me. I will be waiting for your mail today
awa"
(sic)

Problems
1) I do not post anything on Holocaust History.org.
2) The "message" does not contain my name
3) The email was addressed to "undisclosed recipients" so it could be that someone has cracked some list of emails at that organisation.

It is probably a spam that simply includes the name of a website that I have visited. Am I about to be sent photos of a beautiful woman due to my interest in the holocaust? How romantic.

Should I reply?

spiralout1123211

Re: I wonder what this email is about?

Postby spiralout1123211 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:44 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Should I reply?

I think the skeptic in you already knows the answer to that one (that's a yes, btw). :lol:

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Postby vanderpoel » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:52 am

What did her pictures look like Matthew?
"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Irrational Skeptic

Postby Chachacha » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:56 am

> Matthew Ellard :lol:

> Spiral :lol:
> Vanderpoel :rotfl:

E-mail translation: Me make yooooo, make love to yooseeeeelf, good long time.

Question: Could the e-mail be from Jesse James' tatooed, Holocaust-loving-or-denying mistress trying to get some traffic to her site?

Goodnight, Gentlemen!!!! :wave:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:19 am

vanderpoel wrote:What did her pictures look like Matthew?

She hasn't replied yet. I have no idea what to expect
1) Some 90 year old woman in silky stripped pajamas
2) A trust fund for 65million that requires me to send a $3000 finders deposit upfront
3) Some poor woman who wants to talk about the holocaust.

I will let you know. I do love looking at scams.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:27 am

Chachacha wrote:Me make yooooo, make love to yooseeeeelf, good long time.

Question: Could the e-mail be from Jesse James' tatooed, Holocaust-loving-or-denying mistress trying to get some traffic to her site.

Goodnight, Gentlemen!!!! :wave:

Well if it was "Hi I drive tanks for the Russian army. Would you like to see a video of me in a bikini, cleaning a tank 133mm smooth bore gun barrel?" well in that scenario, my plane would be landing at Orsha aerodrome sometime tomorrow afternoon with my little barrel "ready to go"

HghrSymmetry
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: ViewClearerFromAbove

Postby HghrSymmetry » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:56 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:Should I reply?

Aye, just for sheer entertainment purposes. Though your earlier list probably contains the correct guesstimation of the scam.

Oh, and generally speaking, the more attractive the woman's picture is, the more dangerous the scam...(or so I've heard).

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:12 am

HghrSymmetry wrote:

Aye, just for sheer entertainment purposes. Though your earlier list probably contains the correct guesstimation of the scam.

Oh, and generally speaking, the more attractive the woman's picture is, the more dangerous the scam...(or so I've heard).

You want to see Mother Teresa in a bikini?..............whoa horsey!!!!
http://tomdiaz.files.wordpress.com/2009 ... teresa.jpg

Paul
Regular Poster

Postby Paul » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:18 am

Nigerian scam, More likely to be a guy.

http://419.bittenus.com/8/7/AwaMurrey.html
"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)
Proud To Be a Vietnam Vet

jannette
Regular Poster
Custom Title: I am

Postby jannette » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:31 pm

From Sugar@paidscam.con lol
Wanna Meet? ???@hotmailcom, One of Our Members has Invited You to Chat http://bottleflaw.com/dia4maidfjkoaen-4uba

WARNING CLICK AT OWN RISK!!

Should I meet her? :lol:
I get date offers frrom woman and financial offers from men. 0.o*
Good bye cruel internet world. My days here are numbered.
This comp' sucks & I just lost my phone. :(
The End
FIN.

I may be right.
I may be wrong.
I just tell it like I see it. <(*.*)>

HghrSymmetry
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: ViewClearerFromAbove

Postby HghrSymmetry » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:17 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
HghrSymmetry wrote:

You want to see Mother Teresa in a bikini?..............whoa horsey!!!!
http://tomdiaz.files.wordpress.com/2009 ... teresa.jpg

Darn, and here my liver was starting to recover. Now, I'm back on the bottle.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:01 pm

Paul wrote:Nigerian scam, More likely to be a guy.

http://419.bittenus.com/8/7/AwaMurrey.html

Well done Paul. You found the exact email I received. My fantasies of wild email sex have now been crushed.....sob...sob

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby landrew » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:26 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:Matthew here. I received the following email on my work computer.

"My name is Miss awa Murrey i was going throught this site now and i saw your email at http://www.holocaust-history.org i like it and i believe you are the right person i am looking for,i will like you to send me an email at my email for me to give you my beautiful pictures and tell you more about me. I will be waiting for your mail today
awa"
(sic)

Problems
3) The email was addressed to "undisclosed recipients" so it could be that someone has cracked some list of emails at that organisation.

It is probably a spam that simply includes the name of a website that I have visited. Am I about to be sent photos of a beautiful woman due to my interest in the holocaust? How romantic.

Should I reply?

I believe it's quite easy to obtain someone's email address in connection with subject matter keywords using web bots. I'm not surprised that someone (probably overseas) is fishing with it. If you set a thousand hooks, all it takes is one bite in a thousand to catch a fish.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby landrew » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:02 pm

I think "privacy" and "internet" rarely belong in the same sentence.
http://www.netatty.com/privacy/privacy.html
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Nabarun Ghoshal
Regular Poster
Custom Title: In Search of Truth

Postby Nabarun Ghoshal » Sun May 02, 2010 2:55 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:Matthew here. I received the following email on my work computer.

awa"
(sic)

Problems

Should I reply?

Scam, dear Matthew, pure scam. I receive similar posts everyday, promising me millions and millions of dollars and pounds along with similar words of love. Had these been true, I would be surely be richer than Bill Gates by this time. Some gullibles in our country have fallen to this trap losing their time and money. I don't remember the name of a O' Henry story on this subject, although there was no e-mail in his time. The mode of communication was what we call the "snail mail" today.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun May 02, 2010 11:06 pm

Nabarun Ghoshal wrote:

awa"
(sic)

Problems

Should I reply?

Scam, dear Matthew, pure scam. I receive similar posts everyday, promising me millions and millions of dollars and pounds along with similar words of love. Had these been true, I would be surely be richer than Bill Gates by this time. Some gullibles in our country have fallen to this trap losing their time and money. I don't remember the name of a O' Henry story on this subject, although there was no e-mail in his time. The mode of communication was what we call the "snail mail" today.

I now understand it was a scam. It was funny because the "scam artists" obtained my email address from a holocaust forum and thus the email I received tried to sexually entice me based on my holocaust postings. You have to agree that that was a bit weird.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Sun May 02, 2010 11:39 pm

I get one every few days, from a different woman's name, that just says "Happy" or "Isn't it beautiful", and a link attached, I've never clicked on the link.

Nabarun Ghoshal
Regular Poster
Custom Title: In Search of Truth

Postby Nabarun Ghoshal » Mon May 03, 2010 1:34 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:I now understand it was a scam. It was funny because the "scam artists" obtained my email address from a holocaust forum and thus the email I received tried to sexually entice me based on my holocaust postings. You have to agree that that was a bit weird.

I get your point. Spammers should not get access to our e-mail addresses from this forum. There might have been some leak. Will the moderator look into the matter?

p.s. I am sorry I misspelled 'spam' as 'scam' and induced you to do the same mistake.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon May 03, 2010 2:24 am

Nabarun Ghoshal wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:I now understand it was a scam. It was funny because the "scam artists" obtained my email address from a holocaust forum and thus the email I received tried to sexually entice me based on my holocaust postings. You have to agree that that was a bit weird.

I get your point. Spammers should not get access to our e-mail addresses from this forum. There might have been some leak. Will the moderator look into the matter?

p.s. I am sorry I misspelled 'spam' as 'scam' and induced you to do the same mistake.

It wasn't this forum. I post on a few anti- holocuast denial forums. It was from another forum they got my business email address, possibly because I ordered some books. I'm not really sure.

I've only had one problem on this forum when an Australian "looney" worked out my full name and that my father was a psychiatrist who had people scheduled under the various government mental health acts. The looney rang all psychiatrists with similar names and then finally got to my father. I sent an email to Pyrrho and Pyrrho gave the looney his "marching orders" with no real damage done.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sun May 09, 2010 6:00 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Nabarun Ghoshal wrote:

It wasn't this forum. I post on a few anti- holocuast denial forums. It was from another forum they got my business email address, possibly because I ordered some books. I'm not really sure.

I've only had one problem on this forum when an Australian "looney" worked out my full name and that my father was a psychiatrist who had people scheduled under the various government mental health acts. The looney rang all psychiatrists with similar names and then finally got to my father. I sent an email to Pyrrho and Pyrrho gave the looney his "marching orders" with no real damage done.

I said I was sorry, jeeeeeeez! :cry:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

PennyDotson
Poster

Postby PennyDotson » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:04 pm

awa"
(sic)

Problems

Should I reply?

sounds pretty legitimate to me :lol: maybe she's your soulmate or something. Hey you never know! ;)

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:03 pm

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:38 pm

Gord wrote:Image

If she had the Australian Tax Code in her left hand instead of an oven mitt, Matthew would likely already be head over heels swooning in love.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:34 pm

The latest "Indian call centre" phone scam I received was just pathetic.

"Yes it is"

"This is the Australian Government Refund Centre. You are due a $7,000 refund on your bank fees after a recent government audit. Can I confirm your birth date?"

"Yes ( Offers a fake birth date and "corrected" fake spelling of ******-Alluard)

"That date is correct. Write down this reference number and ring this phone number before 1pm".
(the reference number was the ridiculously small "A13". The phone number is a land-line number but obviously temporary connected to an international line to an Indian call centre. I simply don't ring it)

(Ring ring)
"Is this Mr ******-Alluard?"

"Yes it is"

"Did you ring that phone number?

"Yes, but the person said to talk to you again to check the reference number and said you would ring again"

"Here is the reference number again. You must call the other phone number now"

"OK"
( I rang after 1pm and the other phone line was already cut off)

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:53 pm

Just means the addressee list was BCC.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:09 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:The latest "Indian call centre" phone scam I received was just pathetic.

"Yes it is"

"This is the Australian Government Refund Centre. You are due a $7,000 refund on your bank fees after a recent government audit. Can I confirm your birth date?"

"Yes ( Offers a fake birth date and "corrected" fake spelling of ******-Alluard)

"That date is correct. Write down this reference number and ring this phone number before 1pm".
(the reference number was the ridiculously small "A13". The phone number is a land-line number but obviously temporary connected to an international line to an Indian call centre. I simply don't ring it)

(Ring ring)
"Is this Mr ******-Alluard?"

"Yes it is"

"Did you ring that phone number?

"Yes, but the person said to talk to you again to check the reference number and said you would ring again"

"Here is the reference number again. You must call the other phone number now"

"OK"
( I rang after 1pm and the other phone line was already cut off)

Doh! You could have gotten $6500!
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:16 am

Monster wrote: Doh! You could have gotten $6500!

Can you send me your full name, birth date and bank account details in a private message?

(Pyrrho. I think I've worked out a way to increase society donations this month)

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:32 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gord wrote:Image

If she had the Australian Tax Code in her left hand instead of an oven mitt, Matthew would likely already be head over heels swooning in love.

Wait -- you're saying that oven mitt isn't the Australian Tax Code??

Well aren't I a silly bunt....
#ANDAMOVIE

octopus1
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Deep Sea Mollusk

Postby octopus1 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:02 am

My Pin Number is 7645.

Or it's not.
"On the fence".... Without a cushion....

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:05 am

octopus1 wrote:My Pin Number is 7645.

Or it's not.

I write my pin number on my bank card.

In Mandarin.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

octopus1
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Deep Sea Mollusk

Postby octopus1 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:11 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
octopus1 wrote:My Pin Number is 7645.

Or it's not.

I write my pin number on my bank card.

In Mandarin.

Best place to hide it.
"On the fence".... Without a cushion....

Return to “Scams and Con Games”