"Antivirus Live" fake antivirus scam

Step right up for 3-card Monte...
Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

"Antivirus Live" fake antivirus scam

Postby Monster » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:34 pm

My wife's computer got hit by this trojan recently. I found a site with how to clear it and I was able to clean it from the computer. Neither of us are entirely sure how her computer got infected. An email, an infected banner ad, or a some other open port are my only thoughts on this.

This trojan completely sucks beyond belief because it won't let any executable run; therefore, cleaning it is potentially very hard. It constantly tells you your computer is infected and you have to buy Antivirus Live.

The people who did this have GOT to go to jail.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

ciauciau

Re: "Antivirus Live" fake antivirus scam

Postby ciauciau » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:56 am

Antivirus Live is a real pain in the a**. My cousin had it too. In case you still have it on your PC read this removal guide: http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-antivirus-live.html

Joe

Postby Joe » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:12 pm

I'm lucky to have been introduced to computers back before the Internet had WWW. I can only imagine that is why I've been a power user of PCs since then but have never needed an anti-virus program. It just always seemed simple to know what not to click on and what was okay to click on.

Anyway, decided to actually look for one recently, knowing that virus' have become more sophisticated. So, like I do for for most things I am looking to buy, I Google the product type/brand and add "reviews". So, I found a review site that listed, in order of ranking, the top ten anti-virus programs. In fact, it was the business of the website to review the top ten programs, as the domain was antivirus.toptenreviews.com. As one might expect, McAfee and Norton were ranked up there like #2 and #3. But, I was somewhat perplexed how a program I had only heard about only barely over the previous few years was ranked above Norton and McAfee. Then I looked up at the rest fo the site design, and started seeing signs of something awry. The site looked "good" at a cursory glance, professional, etc. But when you actually paid attention to the 'acting' ability of the young fresh faces they had as their 'personalities' and the now obvious amateur attempt of re-creating the whizz-bank-bwoop! CHONG! audio/visual intros (that are done much more artistically on Mtv, G4, etc), to their 'tech news segments', then you notice the misspelled company name of "Microsfot" in the fancy banner running across the bottom of the screen, it starts to make sense. Suddenly, you realize they take the true top reviews of software or products, and put whoever pays them the fee at the top. They even commit to having their 'talent', if that's what you call it, showcase their product portraying it as the best thing since sliced bread. Embedded videos are all over the site, some actually giving real advice about some product, others fluffing up a little known product.

The kicker was this. Their slogan is "We do the research, so you don't have to". It's repeated all over the site in text and in audio sound bites at the beginning and ending of each video segment. It's enough to make you vomit.

But, it's also ingenious. The amateur nature of their presentation is not detectable by most people. And the first clue that got me looking deeper of a little known product beating out the Kings of the industry goes unnoticed by most people. The site is simply capitalizing on the lack of critical thinking skills that defines most people. Is this a case where it's good to let people get bamboolzed to hopefully teach people to think more critically? Or should we blame the bamboozlers? Or should we blame them both?

Personally, I think I am for the former. I tend to think that the Internet, more specifically the world wide web, has exposed millions of more people to being scammed than would have otherwise without the technology. I think that most people have become wiser and wiser (not necessarily smarter) about getting scammed. So it's hard for me to get too upset about scams, etc. out there helping people become wiser about their evaluations of claims.

PennyDotson
Poster

Postby PennyDotson » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:53 pm

Joe wrote:I'm lucky to have been introduced to computers back before the Internet had WWW. I can only imagine that is why I've been a power user of PCs since then but have never needed an anti-virus program. It just always seemed simple to know what not to click on and what was okay to click on.

Anyway, decided to actually look for one recently, knowing that virus' have become more sophisticated. So, like I do for for most things I am looking to buy, I Google the product type/brand and add "reviews". So, I found a review site that listed, in order of ranking, the top ten anti-virus programs. In fact, it was the business of the website to review the top ten programs, as the domain was antivirus.toptenreviews.com. As one might expect, McAfee and Norton were ranked up there like #2 and #3. But, I was somewhat perplexed how a program I had only heard about only barely over the previous few years was ranked above Norton and McAfee. Then I looked up at the rest fo the site design, and started seeing signs of something awry. The site looked "good" at a cursory glance, professional, etc. But when you actually paid attention to the 'acting' ability of the young fresh faces they had as their 'personalities' and the now obvious amateur attempt of re-creating the whizz-bank-bwoop! CHONG! audio/visual intros (that are done much more artistically on Mtv, G4, etc), to their 'tech news segments', then you notice the misspelled company name of "Microsfot" in the fancy banner running across the bottom of the screen, it starts to make sense. Suddenly, you realize they take the true top reviews of software or products, and put whoever pays them the fee at the top. They even commit to having their 'talent', if that's what you call it, showcase their product portraying it as the best thing since sliced bread. Embedded videos are all over the site, some actually giving real advice about some product, others fluffing up a little known product.

The kicker was this. Their slogan is "We do the research, so you don't have to". It's repeated all over the site in text and in audio sound bites at the beginning and ending of each video segment. It's enough to make you vomit.

But, it's also ingenious. The amateur nature of their presentation is not detectable by most people. And the first clue that got me looking deeper of a little known product beating out the Kings of the industry goes unnoticed by most people. The site is simply capitalizing on the lack of critical thinking skills that defines most people. Is this a case where it's good to let people get bamboolzed to hopefully teach people to think more critically? Or should we blame the bamboozlers? Or should we blame them both?

Personally, I think I am for the former. I tend to think that the Internet, more specifically the world wide web, has exposed millions of more people to being scammed than would have otherwise without the technology. I think that most people have become wiser and wiser (not necessarily smarter) about getting scammed. So it's hard for me to get too upset about scams, etc. out there helping people become wiser about their evaluations of claims.

This is the best thing I have read. Very detailed and good to know. I right now am using avast and so far it's been doing good on my mac pro. I have a windows partition through boot camp and it's not really working out for me. Do you recommend one of the two you mentioned above as I do not want to have to go through what this poor guy had to go through :|

PennyDotson
Poster

Postby PennyDotson » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:55 am

I hate companies that try to get the little guy through a virtual shakedown.. where's anonymous when you need them.

Return to “Scams and Con Games”