Watch out for anti-virus scam

Step right up for 3-card Monte...
Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Watch out for anti-virus scam

Postby Gord » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:05 pm

I'm in a hurry so I haven't searched to see if this has been posted anywhere else. :P

I just saw it at another site, and I thought it seemed important, and this was the first place I came to pass it on. Copy/pasted in its entirety because my own words might miss an aspect or two:

I wanted to warn you all on a recent scam that has hit many MANY forums lately.

If you are on a forum and you get a PM from someone you don't know named:
LadyAdmin
LadyrootFiX
LadyRoot
AdminGirl
AdminLady
(I'm sure there are others)

Do NOT open the PM. This is actually a virus that is making its way around the forum world. The bot can get through some pretty intricate forum questions so that they are a regular member. Then they pose as an admin on the site and ask you to click on a link which is one of those fake "anti-virus" sites -- which is actually a virus.

I wanted to forewarn you all of the issue. If you own a forum and see someone sign up as this, I highly suggest you delete them before they can get to your members. You never know how many people may be gullible to something like this.

Speaking as a gullible person myself, I felt such a warning should be passed on first, skepticalisated second. :mrgreen: And since I know the value of skepticism in such matters on the one hand, and have a shortage of time on the other, I figured this forum was the best place to start!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

PennyDotson
Poster

Re: Watch out for anti-virus scam

Postby PennyDotson » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:55 pm

Gord wrote:I'm in a hurry so I haven't searched to see if this has been posted anywhere else. :P

I just saw it at another site, and I thought it seemed important, and this was the first place I came to pass it on. Copy/pasted in its entirety because my own words might miss an aspect or two:

I wanted to warn you all on a recent scam that has hit many MANY forums lately.

If you are on a forum and you get a PM from someone you don't know named:
LadyAdmin
LadyrootFiX
LadyRoot
AdminGirl
AdminLady
(I'm sure there are others)

Do NOT open the PM. This is actually a virus that is making its way around the forum world. The bot can get through some pretty intricate forum questions so that they are a regular member. Then they pose as an admin on the site and ask you to click on a link which is one of those fake "anti-virus" sites -- which is actually a virus.

I wanted to forewarn you all of the issue. If you own a forum and see someone sign up as this, I highly suggest you delete them before they can get to your members. You never know how many people may be gullible to something like this.

Speaking as a gullible person myself, I felt such a warning should be passed on first, skepticalisated second. :mrgreen: And since I know the value of skepticism in such matters on the one hand, and have a shortage of time on the other, I figured this forum was the best place to start!

Thanks for this. Whether it's been posted or not, glad you did! Definitely taking precaution since I am fairly new to this forum. Thanks! :mrgreen:

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:04 pm

PennyDotson wrote:

Thanks for this. Whether it's been posted or not, glad you did! Definitely taking precaution since I am fairly new to this forum. Thanks! :mrgreen:

I, for one, stand in admiration of your zeal in reading the entire backlog of threads here. But, this thread, for example, is pushing five years old, and has probably lost some of it's relevance. I wouldn't be too worried about it, at this point.

I am, honestly kind of happy to revisit some of these threads. Reading what we were writing a few years ago is kinda cool.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:06 pm

Wow, look at the excellent spelling and adequate grammar of that first post! If I were so enamoured, I might skepticalisate it a bit more. <3
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

octopus1
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Deep Sea Mollusk

Postby octopus1 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:41 pm

Gord wrote:Wow, look at the excellent spelling and adequate grammar of that first post! If I were so enamoured, I might skepticalisate it a bit more. <3

You were beautiful, once ;)
"On the fence".... Without a cushion....

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:33 pm

octopus1 wrote:
Gord wrote:Wow, look at the excellent spelling and adequate grammar of that first post! If I were so enamoured, I might skepticalisate it a bit more. <3

I hear his pole dancing routine was without equal.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

octopus1
Perpetual Poster

Postby octopus1 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:37 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
octopus1 wrote:

I hear his pole dancing routine was without equal.

It was a wonder to behold.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:50 pm

octopus1 wrote:You were beautiful, once ;)
Baby.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:26 am

It's true. I remember tearing the head right off that ducky.
#ANDAMOVIE

octopus1
Perpetual Poster

Postby octopus1 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:54 am

Gord wrote:It's true. I remember tearing the head right off that ducky.

We love ya really ;)

Nosferatu never looked so good!

Return to “Scams and Con Games”