Dealing with a scam.

Step right up for 3-card Monte...
Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Dealing with a scam.

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:48 am

The message below is an email I just received, clearly the first one of a planned scam. This guy will probably ask me for money to release the funds which will 'make me rich '. This Michael Meyer (almost certainly not his real name) is clearly an arsehole and a fraud. My question is what to do. I am tempted to reply with serious expletives, telling him what an arsehole he is, but I doubt that would help.

What is the best response to attempted scams like this ?

____ ____________________________________________________________________

"I write to you about this customer and the huge deposit he left with our bank before dying with his wife in an unfortunate mishap.

It has been many years since this happened and no one has come forward to claim these funds. I am therefore contacting you because you both share the same family name.

I am prepared to assist you with all the information and document you will need to successfully and legitimately inherit the said funds.

I wait upon your quick and kind reply.

With friendly greetings,
Michael Meyer."

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: Dealing with a scam.

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:52 am

Tell him you wish to donate the funds to Médecins Sans Frontières. :-P

(JK. Report, block, delete...)

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:56 am

Yep. It's a classical scam. You have to pay them $500 to get them to release the non existent $100,000.

There's a new phone scam where "a survey" asks you to say "yes" or "no" and state your name and age. They then record those elements of your voice and sign you to a ridiculous phone contract, for which they have recorded evidence that "you agreed".

Phoenix76
Poster
Custom Title: Phoenix76

Postby Phoenix76 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:58 am

Well Lance, I get these types of things regularly. Guess our email addresses are out there. Normally I just hit the spam button and at least I won't get the identical one again. Trouble is if they use different email addresses they still come through.

Don't know who your authority would be in NZ, but I guess the police or maybe telecommunications. In Australia we have the ACCC - Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, and they are always interested. Often get warnings from them via email of the latest scam.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:59 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:...

There's a new phone scam where "a survey" asks you to say "yes" or "no" and state your name and age. They then record those elements of your voice and sign you to a ridiculous phone contract, for which they have recorded evidence that "you agreed".

For those guys I keep this handy

Spoiler:

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:11 am

Its been forever sins I'v gotten wun uv thoze, Lance. I thot theyd finally run out uv gulliblz and moved on to sumthing else. Maybe its just the American gold mine that ran out.

Its mostly the fone theze dayz here. I usually get more than 5 callz a day, most uv wich hang up befor anything iz sed. I cant figure how they expect to get anything but a jiant fone bill.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:15 am

Lance Kennedy wrote: What is the best response to attempted scams like this ?

Why do you ask? ie: what are your pros and cons?

Years ago, I responded as if an addled old fool (not hard to do) just to see what would happen.

Nothing.

Now I dump because I have better things to do .......... if you can imagine writing this post is one of them. Plus..... while curious, I don't like playing with snakes.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:26 am

A friend of mine got done. He was a very bright guy, with a Ph.D. in computer science. Then he had a stroke and was brain damaged. In his addled state, he got sucked in and lost lots of money. I really wish I had a way to solidly kick the arse of those guys!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:36 am

I hate being brain damaged.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Nikki Nyx
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:08 am

If there is an agency to whom you can report it, do that. Otherwise, just delete it. It's nearly impossible to keep your email address from being sold on different lists.

The US has a "do not call" registry for both landlines and cell phones. Once you've registered, it's illegal for telemarketers to phone you. All you have to say is, "This number is on the 'do not call' list. You are committing a crime. Take this number off your list and do not call again." If they do, you can report them.

Before the advent of the "do not call" registry, I always made myself out to be the one person to whom the telemarketer could not sell his product. If Sprint called, wanting me to switch from Verizon, I'd say, "I'm sorry, but I don't have a phone," and hang up. :mrgreen:

When I get junk mail, if it contains a postage paid envelope, I stuff all their junk into the postage paid envelope and mail it back to them, taping some pennies to the paper if I have them. :twisted:

So far, there's no "do not email" registry. Maybe someday...
...it used to be so simple, once upon a time.
Because the universe was full of ignorance all around and the scientist panned through it like a prospector crouched over a mountain stream, looking for the gold of knowledge among the gravel of unreason, the sand of uncertainty, and the little whiskery eight-legged swimming things of superstition.
—Terry Pratchett, from Witches Abroad

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:07 am

The guys from the Microsoft Service Center have stopped calling me. When I get them on the line I advise them that their mother is {!#%@} elephants in Hell.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:44 am

The American Do Not Call law iz basicly ded. Congress never really enforsed it. They charjed sum guy uzing it resently, suppozedly with a big fine and jail, but it haznt slowed the bogus number callz at all.

I like the Russian solution.

There wuz a guy with an autodialer and email spam machine selling hiz ESL servis that wuz pumping out millionz uv callz and emailz per week. A mobster got tired uv it and sent goonz with Kalishnikovz.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Nikki Nyx
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:48 pm

It always works for me. They hang up quickly and never call back. However, I like the permanency of the Russian solution as well. :mrgreen:
...it used to be so simple, once upon a time.
Because the universe was full of ignorance all around and the scientist panned through it like a prospector crouched over a mountain stream, looking for the gold of knowledge among the gravel of unreason, the sand of uncertainty, and the little whiskery eight-legged swimming things of superstition.
—Terry Pratchett, from Witches Abroad

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:40 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:A friend of mine got done. He was a very bright guy, with a Ph.D. in computer science. Then he had a stroke and was brain damaged. In his addled state, he got sucked in and lost lots of money. I really wish I had a way to solidly kick the arse of those guys!

Readers Digest (International) was sold as insolvent as it had so many actions against it for aggressive marketing against older people. Eight years after that, the new owners used exactly the same techniques against my father who had had a stroke, (but still answered the phone.) I went ballistic and did them over legally and then did Readers Digest (Australia) over again by withdrawing their cross-promotion publishing content from my allied media clients. Readers Digest made me very angry.

Reader's Digest admits misleading conduct, demanding payment for unsolicited goods
https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/r ... ited-goods

Reader's Digest sold for £1
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/feb/17/readers-digest-sold-1-pound-mike-luckwell

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:53 pm

For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:12 pm

I've had a problem with something called ads.pubmatic.com DO NOT GO THERE!

It shows up not in my email, but on the very top line of the computer, whatever that is called. I clicked on it once and it froze my computer. Another time I meant to ex it out and apparently clicked on it and it froze my computer again. Duh!

Both times I had to go to Dell support to unfreeze my computer. I have anti-malware, but they say it's not malware or ransomware, but haven't said what it really is. I tried to put a filter on it, but maybe because it's not email it hasn't worked.

On of the guys at Dell asked if I was welshing on some kind of payment I had agreed to make, and I said that I don't think so. I asked him what exactly that site is, but he didn't give me an answer I understood.

Anyway, that's my story.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:45 pm

Tom Palven wrote:I've had a problem with something called ads.pubmatic.com DO NOT GO THERE!

It shows up not in my email, but on the very top line of the computer, whatever that is called. I clicked on it once and it froze my computer. Another time I meant to ex it out and apparently clicked on it and it froze my computer again. Duh!

Both times I had to go to Dell support to unfreeze my computer. I have anti-malware, but they say it's not malware or ransomware, but haven't said what it really is. I tried to put a filter on it, but maybe because it's not email it hasn't worked.

On of the guys at Dell asked if I was welshing on some kind of payment I had agreed to make, and I said that I don't think so. I asked him what exactly that site is, but he didn't give me an answer I understood.

Anyway, that's my story.

The pubmatic site put an app on your browser. Run Malwarebytes.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:44 pm

ADW Cleaner is another free, simple tool I've used to get rid of adware that other programs have missed.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:52 am

Austin Harper wrote:ADW Cleaner is another free, simple tool I've used to get rid of adware that other programs have missed.

I just ran it, and suddenly I'm using duckduckgo as my search engine without asking for it. :glare:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:40 am

Gord wrote:
Austin Harper wrote:ADW Cleaner is another free, simple tool I've used to get rid of adware that other programs have missed.

I just ran it, and suddenly I'm using duckduckgo as my search engine without asking for it. :glare:

Did you really run it? I've been hesitant to based on "the Devil that you know..."
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:54 am

Gord wrote:

It's adjusted for your emotional age.

Return to “Scams and Con Games”