Trump's supporters

Stuff of interest on the Web...
Lausten
Persistent Poster

Trump's supporters

Postby Lausten » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:59 pm

Check out question #38
30% of Republicans would support bombing of Agrabah. It's a fictional city from "Aladdin". I'm speechless.
I have some serious questions about the methodology of this study, but even so, you can't fix this.
Democrats do only slightly better.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Re: Trump's supporters

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:05 pm

Well, I'm all for bombing just about anything...... but I do have a minimum standard of knowing what it is. After all, I'm a trained killer, not a drone pilot. Ha, ha.

Say Lausten: you do know reading too much politics, or even just news, is TOXIC to most people?

Just saying.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:25 am

Nice survey.... :roll:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:28 pm

TJ--is it the survey or the responses that dismay you?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:31 pm

Next up, poll asks if Trump supports banning dihydrous monoxide.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:58 pm

13% of Republican primary voters would oppose a bill barring people on the terrorist watch list from buying firearms? :befuddled:

Oh, wait. I see that 1% labelled themselves "very liberal", 5% labelled themselves "somewhat liberal", and 23% labelled themselves "moderate". There's clearly a margin of error in this poll of at least 29%. ;)
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:08 pm

Gord wrote:

13% of Republican primary voters would oppose a bill barring people on the terrorist watch list from buying firearms? :befuddled:

I am surprised the tally is so low. Such a law would clearly be a violation of the Fifth Amendment.

No person shall be ... deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; ...

Merely being on a terrorist watch list (or a no-fly list) does not count as "due process" and therefore is not sufficient to take away one's rights.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:15 pm

xouper wrote:
Gord wrote:

I am surprised the tally is so low. Such a law would clearly be a violation of the Fifth Amendment.

No person shall be ... deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; ...

Merely being on a terrorist watch list (or a no-fly list) does not count as "due process" and therefore is not sufficient to take away one's rights.

But the majority still want to deport people without due process.

Come to think of it, the no-fly list itself may violate people's rights: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/no-fly-lis ... -1.2686636
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:12 pm

There is no right to immigration. therefore no due process is required and we can discriminate as much as we like. Purely an administrative discretion absent a specific law.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:40 pm

Remindz me uv the sene in Idiocracy where the cops are blasting the lawyerz car to bits and he'z cheering about it.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:09 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:There is no right to immigration. therefore no due process is required and we can discriminate as much as we like. Purely an administrative discretion absent a specific law.

http://www.un.org/Overview/rights.html#a1

Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Article 6.

Everyone has the right to recognition everywhere as a person before the law.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme-c ... 3.html#106

Deportation without a fair hearing or on charges unsupported by any evidence is a denial of due process which may be corrected on habeas corpus.

So, there is due process for deportation, and noncitizens do have rights.
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:18 pm

Deportation is totally different from right of immigration, or a visa. Closer are the cases where they illegally enter and are "in" the USA. I think that status is more complex, not a simple to use rule.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:13 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Deportation is totally different from right of immigration, or a visa. Closer are the cases where they illegally enter and are "in" the USA. I think that status is more complex, not a simple to use rule.

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought your last post was a response to mine.

Never mind, then.
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:55 pm

Donald the liar Trump, won the Politifact Lie of the Year award – First, Second, and Third places according to their readers` poll. Not so important to tell the truth, or even know what it is, according to Trump. This should make his approval rating rise significantly.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... tatements/

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:08 pm

Gord wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Deportation is totally different from right of immigration, or a visa. Closer are the cases where they illegally enter and are "in" the USA. I think that status is more complex, not a simple to use rule.

Likewise. I posted there is no right to immigration and you posted in response that rights attached to those being deported.

Do you agree or not that those are two different issues?

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:00 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Gord wrote:

Likewise. I posted there is no right to immigration and you posted in response that rights attached to those being deported.

Do you agree or not that those are two different issues?

Yes.
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:14 pm

Well......there you go. a little bit of infinite timelessness on your very own plate.

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:58 pm

Lausten wrote:Check out question #38
30% of Republicans would support bombing of Agrabah. It's a fictional city from "Aladdin". I'm speechless. I have some serious questions about the methodology of this study, but even so, you can't fix this. Democrats do only slightly better.

http://www.wparesearch.com/issues/44-percent-of-democrats-support-taking-refugees-from-a-fictional-country/

Public Policy Polling, which is known for adding questions in surveys to exploit Republicans who are less informed, recently found that 30% of Republican voters would support bombing Agrabah, a fictional country in the Disney film Aladdin.

On December 20, 2015, WPA Research fielded a national survey of 1,132 registered voters that found 44% of Democrats would support taking refugees from that same Agrabah.

... Additionally, Democrats ages 18-34, a key constituency of President Obama, are especially eager to take in imaginary refugees. Nearly two-thirds of these voters support accepting refugees from Agrabah.

It is easy to do polls that show plebes from either party to be foolish or "uninformed".

Here's a non-partisan commentary on the matter:

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:01 pm

Well, if Republicans are going to bomb them, it seems only fair that Democrats offer shelter to the refugees that this new war creates. :roll:

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:27 pm

What's wrong with supporting the taking in of refugees from a place of which you've never heard? If you asked me if I'd be in favour of taking in refugees from Tatooine, I'd say yes even though I know there's no such place. If I didn't know it was fictional, my answer wouldn't change. The key word in the question is "refugees".

On the other hand, supporting the bombing of a place you've never heard of is obviously foolish.
#ANDAMOVIE

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:08 am

Gord wrote:What's wrong with supporting the taking in of refugees from a place of which you've never heard?

If you do not know where they come from, then how do you know those "refugees" are not criminals fleeing a good government? Refugees cannot be vetted properly without knowing where they came from.

However, I cannot fault your general point, if you are saying that those polls seem to show that the predisposition (or mood) of the Democrats is different from the Republicans (taking in refugees versus bombing some country).

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:12 am

xouper wrote:
Gord wrote:What's wrong with supporting the taking in of refugees from a place of which you've never heard?

If you do not know where they come from, then how do you know those "refugees" are not criminals fleeing a good government? Refugees cannot be vetted properly without knowing where they came from.

However, I cannot fault your general point, if you are saying that those polls seem to show that the predisposition (or mood) of the Democrats is different from the Republicans (taking in refugees versus bombing some country).

Yes, both polls show people are stupid. Democrats didn't do so well on the bombing question either, they just were less than Republicans. Party affiliation doesn't make you smarter. I said I questioned the methodology. No question though, saying you'd take refugees from anywhere and saying you'd bomb anywhere, two totally different statements.

When I was at Indiana University, there was a 24-hour sit-in in front of some admin building, trying to get them to divest from South Africa. I went to talk to them to get informed and found just one guy, a South African, who knew more than a few general thoughts on the subject. So, this is people willing to sit at a place in the middle of the night, barely more informed on the topic than the average passer by. That's pretty much how the whole world works.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:51 pm

xouper wrote:

If you do not know where they come from, then how do you know those "refugees" are not criminals fleeing a good government?

Because they are refugees, not "refugees".
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:19 am

Re the George Carlin quote, its true: 100IQ is average and half are below that. I have one sister with an IQ of 100. My other sister and I treat her as if she were handicapped. Nice pleasant person, teaches home economics==dumb as a post.

Wifey has an IQ of 164. She isn't all that smart either---just a photographic memory, speed reader with very high comprehension and perfect retention, and a knack for languages. Can't read a map though...... and THATS what is important!

You know----people are stupid. More into religion, fashion, gossip, sports and hollywood soap operas than the politics and and history that controls their lives.

Just look.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:53 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Re the George Carlin quote, its true: 100IQ is average and half are below that.

I don't think that's exactly true. The bell graph is not symmetrical, as in there are two idiots with IQ's of 80 for every person with an IQ of 120. The word "average" is a bit misleading.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:51 pm

Matt: not true. The Stanford Binet IQ test is "crafted" until it achieves a perfect bell shaped curve for men and women with a mean, median, and mode of 100 with a standard deviation of 10 Points...... unless things have changed beyond all reason? But why would it?

You raise a good point though. Test design can be tweaked to have it take almost any shape one wishes. I don't see the use or advantage of a lopsided curve though.

What exactly does the IQ test measure? Hard to say. Correlates to a lot of outcomes that seem intelligence or capability related, but it doesn't measure things like social awareness or even common sense for its own many applications.

My dumb sister is happy, I'm happy, Wifey gets upset when she can't get what she wants. Ha, ha.

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:00 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Re the George Carlin quote, its true: 100IQ is average and half are below that.

I don't think that's exactly true. The bell graph is not symmetrical, as in there are two idiots with IQ's of 80 for every person with an IQ of 120. The word "average" is a bit misleading.

IQ tests are (allegedly) calibrated such that 100 is the median score. Thus, by definition, half of the people are below that "average".

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:42 am

Trump and his supporters are easily disgusted – germs, body functions, foreigners, refugees, the indigent, taxes, etc. So they vote conservative socially, and liberally for business welfare – since they are not disgusted by the super-rich becoming richer, or corporations feeding at the government teat. Liberals on the other hand simply seem to be disgusted with rabid conservatives, having come to terms with biology and the world as it is.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... nservatism

http://spp.sagepub.com/content/3/5/537.short

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:27 pm

Now there is a word I haven`t seen in quite a while…

British lawmaker: Trump a "buffoon"

http://news.yahoo.com/video/british-law ... 07500.html

"buffoon" plus a "demagogue" and "wazzock" . WTF is a wazzock? Oh, a Trump... :?

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:25 am

I see buffoons all the time.
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:46 am

Gord wrote:I see buffoons all the time.
I like the word buffoon. I call Zeuzzz a buffoon all the time. It suggests he is so stupid he could almost be considered comical. I wish he was. :lol:
13610225.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:33 am

A range of words of endearment...

… a dictionary’s worth of insulting names… “An idiot," , a "wazzock" -- British slang for an annoying person. , “bonkers.”, a “ridiculous xenophobe” and a "buffoon.", a “demagogue who panders to people’s fears, rather than their strengths.”, is “not only racist but homophobic and misogynistic,” , “the orange prince of American self-publicity.”, a “fool” , “a poisonous, corrosive man …”

http://www.newsjs.com/url.php?p=https:/ ... ald-trump/

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:51 pm

Sarah Palin endorsez Trump

The reaction from Trump woud uv course be 'thanks, but no thanks', rite? He duz want to be taken seriously, you woud assume.

Insted:
"I am greatly honored to receive Sarah's endorsement," Trump said in a statement. "She is a friend, and a high-quality person whom I have great respect for. I am proud to have her support."

:oops: :lol:
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:51 am

That's not surprising. He'll say that about anyone who agrees with him on the thing he's interested in at the time.
#ANDAMOVIE

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:32 am

In many ways, Palin was a proto-Trump: she tested the waters for him on how much polemics without substance Republican voters would lap up and how "rogue" you can go and still have the support of the party.
Trump owes her a lot.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:46 am

Palin plea for VP?

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:52 am

TJrandom wrote:Palin plea for VP?

if she does she even more deluded than is obvious so far.

Republican leadership might be willing to swallow the Trump frog, but only if they can put one of their princes in the VP seat.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:13 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:
TJrandom wrote:Palin plea for VP?

if she does she even more deluded than is obvious so far.

Republican leadership might be willing to swallow the Trump frog, but only if they can put one of their princes in the VP seat.

And then promptly kill Trump the day after the Inauguration. I'd chip in for an assassin.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:42 pm

You will get a nok on the door soon. It will be the Secret Servis.

They will look ominous with their grim expressionz, sunglassez, suits and little curly wire going to their earz.

And then they will bust out laffing!
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

hillbillygulch

Postby hillbillygulch » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:34 am

Palin doesn't want to be VP, but she might pretend she does: she doesn't want to have to put in the work of traveling and waking up early and doing work. She resigned as governor of Alaska after only two years.

Return to “Links”