The Most Beautiful Mummy In The World and Its Mystery

Stuff of interest on the Web...
Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: The Most Beautiful Mummy In The World and Its Mystery

Postby Gord » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:25 pm

Storied of uncorrupted bodies have been around for thousands of years. In some countries, it mean the corpse was a vampire! If they dug up someone in Greece and they hadn't putrefied, their bodies were removed from the cemeteries and burnt.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:52 pm

Gors, you gotta get rid of that auto correct.

(s, here, use another one) :mrgreen:

Lard, save me from your followers.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:59 pm

A-number wrote:...the invention of such useful chemicals.

I don't think they were invented and you probably meant the "invention of their use". It rather seems they were discovered to work that way. I think mummification happened naturally depending on the location and conditions before people ever started the practice on purpose.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:07 pm

A-number wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:
A-number wrote:...the invention of such useful chemicals.

I don't think they were invented. It rather seems they were discovered to work that way.

I was going to type "invention/discovery" believe it or not, I should have.

I believe it. My earlier edit attest to that. :-P

I think mummification happened naturally depending on the location and conditions before people ever started the practice on purpose.

You are right but not in all cases tough, like for example the Egyptian used really fancy staff to preserve the pharoa's body and those of the royals often times.

Yes, but they had learned it somehow before they practiced it on purpose. Or, in that climate (as I think it was back then), added their own touch to it.

I liken it to early human finding out that spices, or salt, preserve foodstuffs. Or a certain type of soil preserves bodies - because of naturally occurring chemicals in it.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:23 am

Hot, dry environments, like desert sand, through rapid desiccation before the body has a chance to decay via microbial action. Microbes like moisture. Or cold, dry environments, by freezing before decay, and slow desiccation, like a steak left in the freezer too long. Or plain freezing solid like Ice Man. Or low oxygen, tannin-rich environments like bogs. Tannin is a natural plant-derived anti-microbial.

But I'm disappointed in this thread. I was expecting a MILF.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:33 pm

A-number wrote:
Gord wrote:Storied of uncorrupted bodies have been around for thousands of years.

I'd be curious to see, that according to their records, when did the first not get corrupted and check to see if the corresponding time frame does not coincide with that of the invention of such useful chemicals.

I read about it in a couple of books about vampire lore.

Not the stuff they print today with the sparkly vampires or even the Bram Stoker vampires -- I mean the traditional beliefs, from books published in the early 1900s or earlier, when people were recording the older folk beliefs. Beliefs from Greece, Hungary, places like that in Eastern Europe.

A quick Google search turned up this website: http://www.jamesabarrett.com/page8/incorupt.html

Incorruptibility is seen as distinct form of preservation, it is not mummification in any respect....

...It is important to note that incorruptibility is distinct from natural mummification, which may happen to a corpse in a bog setting, for example. Also, a corpse that has undergone any type of embalming may not be designated as incorruptible. Genuine Incorruptibility is not caused by unusual soil types, temperatures, or other conditions of the burial. In fact Incorruptibility has been seen in individuals prior to burial and in bodies never buried. Some Incorruptible bodies were buried and exhumed next to corpses that decayed normally, and others had clothes that decayed while the body remained intact.

In religious lore, incorruptibility is often said to be accompanied by other supernatural phenomena, including a sweet smell known as the “odour of sanctity”, a lack of rigor mortis, stigmata or martyrdom wounds that continue to bleed, physical warmth long after death, and even movement. However, such cases are not as well documented. The most common phenomena are a inner radiance of the body prior to burial and or a sweet floral like smell exuded. Some reports have a sweet-smelling oil known as “Oil of Saints” that is believed to have miraculous healing powers. But again this to my knowledge is not well documented. In some ancient cultures incorruptibility might be perceived as a sign of evil rather than holiness, suggesting that the deceased was a vampire....

It says "ancient cultures", but that's just wrong. Incorruptibility was still perceived as a sign of evil even up to the last century, if not still today!

For instance, here's a book online called Encyclopedia of the Vampire: The Living Dead in Myth, Legend, and Popular Culture published in 2010: https://books.google.ca/books?id=RSNq99 ... es&f=false

The Greek Orthodox Church, for its part, was equally guilty of inflaming vampire-associated fears during the same period by its overuse of excommunication. This tactic contributed to the swelling vampire mania by playing into Eastern European fears about the vampiric qualities of incorruptible corpses, since excommunication was accompanied by the curse "and the earth will not receive your body." In other words, every instance of excommunication produced a new potential vampire. The practice was so widespread and so prone to agitating vampire fears that some scholars have mistakenly identified the Greek Church as the original source of vampires.

By the end of the eighteenth century, popular belief in vampires among Eastern Europeans had been largely subdued thanks to the vigorous efforts of civic authorities and the educated classes....

Although "largely subdued", those folk beliefs still linger in some places where the old superstitions stilled lurk.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:26 pm

Gord wrote:
The Greek Orthodox Church, for its part, was equally guilty of inflaming vampire-associated farts...

Although "largely subdued", those...still linger in some places...

I guess I should get myself some :nose:

:-P

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:06 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Gord wrote:
The Greek Orthodox Church, for its part, was equally guilty of inflaming vampire-associated farts...

Although "largely subdued", those...still linger in some places...

I guess I should get myself some :nose:

:-P

You made me look! :shakefist:
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:16 am

:mrgreen:

Return to “Links”