The Amazing Sam

Stuff of interest on the Web...
Lausten
Persistent Poster

The Amazing Sam

Postby Lausten » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:48 pm

Harris continues to be one of my favorite, dare I say, philosophers. This is a compiled video from a longer seminar, featuring Sam. But look at who is in the audience. If anyone ever says that atheists don't have a variety of opinions, show them this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpXURisuli4
Scott Atran gets some applause near the end by saying that teaching morals is a very difficult thing and that religion had that role for a long time and an alternative has not been presented. I used to think that, but not so much anymore. Once I read where liberal democratic philosophy came from, people like Hume and Locke, and how they influenced the French and American revolutions, it was pretty clear how those ideas were translated into constitutions. It gets a little more complicated when you have to trace not only the original language, but all the legal decisions about free speech and human rights since, but it's not that complicated.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Re: The Amazing Sam

Postby nmblum88 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:50 pm

Lausten wrote:Harris continues to be one of my favorite, dare I say, philosophers. This is a compiled video from a longer seminar, featuring Sam. But look at who is in the audience. If anyone ever says that atheists don't have a variety of opinions, show them this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpXURisuli4
Scott Atran gets some applause near the end by saying that teaching morals is a very difficult thing and that religion had that role for a long time and an alternative has not been presented. I used to think that, but not so much anymore. Once I read where liberal democratic philosophy came from, people like Hume and Locke, and how they influenced the French and American revolutions, it was pretty clear how those ideas were translated into constitutions. It gets a little more complicated when you have to trace not only the original language, but all the legal decisions about free speech and human rights since, but it's not that complicated.

Lausten, I think you have touched on something really important here… although that might not have been the focus of your remark..

I LOVE your' "dare I say, philosopher."
It may be sarcastic, but it certainly does zero in on the heart of a matter that has caused a bit of (disheartening) ruckus here in Forumland:

Because of course you CAN say philosopher… or even Philosopher.
(Certainly none of Harris's remarks in the context can be considered scientific… ) and "philosophical" is more accurate, and certainly does not diminish his well prepared thesis.

However, to be more accurate, I think… and of course you can argue this, is that Harris, much like Hitchens was , is a POLEMICIST .. and one of the best and brightest, obviously in the area of (repeatable rather than just vituperative exchanges) argumentation and debates concerned with faith versus reason.
As well in in serious public exchanges regarding the specific transgressions and/or crimes of organized religion, and of iconic religious leaders in the course of history.

Norma
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

SweetPea
Has No Life
Custom Title: Too Cute

Re: The Amazing Sam

Postby SweetPea » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:24 pm

Lawrence Krauss makes the best statement at 31 minutes in.
How do the Deniers get so lucky?
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24129

Return to “Links”