Supreme Court troll

Stuff of interest on the Web...
Lausten
Persistent Poster

Supreme Court troll

Postby Lausten » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:25 pm

Scalia interview
Antonin Scalia made some remarks during an interview recently that sound much like the believers that occasionally pop up on at atheist forums. He started talking about he reality of the Devil and became defensive when the interviewer started looking at him funny. His defense was "Hey, c’mon, that’s standard Catholic doctrine! Every Catholic believes that." and to explain why we don't here much from the devil these days, it's that he has become "wilier", by doing fewer obviously devilish actions, he is encouraging non-belief in hell and therefore heaven. Brilliant!

I expect this sort of logic from someone who just bought a computer stumbled on facts that don't fit their worldview, but this is a Supreme Court Justice. The modern problem of being able to isolate yourself from others and create a bubble of reality that you then project on the rest of the world is worse than I thought.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: Supreme Court troll

Postby Gord » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:40 am

Lausten wrote:...to explain why we don't here much from the devil these days, it's that he has become "wilier", by doing fewer obviously devilish actions, he is encouraging non-belief in hell and therefore heaven....

I'd like to see his numbers on that. :lol:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:53 am

Not here... :-P
Hi, Io the lurker.

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Postby Daedalus » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:12 am

"Mes chers frères, n'oubliez jamais, quand vous entendrez vanter le progrès des lumières, que la plus belle des ruses du diable est de vous persuader qu'il n'existe pas!" (Charles Baudelaire)

"My dear brothers, never forget, when you hear the progress of enlightenment vaunted, that the devil's best trick is to persuade you that he doesn't exist!" (Charles Baudelaire)
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:35 am

It's my personal opinion that the Devil's greatest trick was writing the Bible and getting all those suckers to believe it was Yahewh.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

SweetPea
Has No Life
Custom Title: Too Cute

Postby SweetPea » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:23 am

Major Malfunction wrote:It's my personal opinion that the Devil's greatest trick was writing the Bible and getting all those suckers to believe it was Yahewh.

Till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass away from the law, till all things be accomplished....The Devil
How do the Deniers get so lucky?
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24129

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:13 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:It's my personal opinion that the Devil's greatest trick was writing the Bible and getting all those suckers to believe it was Yahewh.

I've had this idea for a novel. The Bible from Satan's point of view. I assume it's not an original idea, though.

Scalia came off as borderline crazy, and seemed to be very paranoid. I was also struck by his referring to Catholic doctrine as justification for his wacky beliefs. It's perfectly fine to him to not think for himself. Not a good quality in a judge, much less a Supreme Court judge.

SweetPea
Has No Life
Custom Title: Too Cute

Postby SweetPea » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:27 pm

fromthehills wrote:Scalia came off as borderline crazy, and seemed to be very paranoid. I was also struck by his referring to Catholic doctrine as justification for his wacky beliefs. It's perfectly fine to him to not think for himself. Not a good quality in a judge, much less a Supreme Court judge.

It's consistent logically and ethically with a pledge made under God. Therefore it is imperative that he, and any judge, behave in that manner, if they took an oath under God.
How do the Deniers get so lucky?
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24129

Return to “Links”