Where do you live?

Stuff of interest on the Web...
Lausten
Persistent Poster

Where do you live?

Postby Lausten » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:48 pm

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/blogs/entry/the_rise_of_the_post-christians/
If you're not familiar with it, the Barna group is fundamentalist, but they use very scientific methods in their polling. Their purpose is to alert Christians to the trends that they consider "bad". But you can ignore that and just evaluate their data.

What I like about this one is they use 15 questions about faith and score someone as non-religious if they meet at least 9. This is much better than the "do you believe in god" polls that indicate a very high degree of religiosity in the US. Many people answer yes to that, but don't go to church, don't read the Bible, believe Jesus sinned, don't share their faith, etc.

In some social situations, I will still use the post-Christian label. It allows me to talk about the historical Jesus, process theology, the existence of hell or whatever but is less threatening and polarizing. I'm not recommending it for atheists, but for Christians, it's a nice stepping stone on the way out of the delusion.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Re: Where do you live?

Postby fromthehills » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:16 pm

That list is pretty crazy. I would think that most people that call themselves Christians would have met 9 of those.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:43 pm

That's Barna for ya'. If you're not reading the Bible, volunteering at church and actively recruiting, you're not a Christian! Not a real one anyone.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Postby kennyc » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:55 pm

Man! That is like the fakest smile I've seen lately!

I think I'm 15 for 15 on the list. :mrgreen: :lol:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:58 pm

14. #9 assumes a fact not in evidence, specifically that the biblical Jesus was an actual historical person. If he wasn't, then he didn't sin.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Hex
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: mi malam ciuj el vi

Postby Hex » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:15 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:14. #9 assumes a fact not in evidence, specifically that the biblical Jesus was an actual historical person. If he wasn't, then he didn't sin.

Yeah, that was a loaded question where whatever you answered you agree Jesus existed. Not surprising coming from a religious "study", it is easy to have tunnel vision and difficult to really vet your questions.
Spoiler:
  TOYNBEE IDEA
IN KUBRICK'S 2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwoaOJZ7Dfk

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:30 pm

I live in my socks. Someone has to.