Atheist Church

Stuff of interest on the Web...
Lausten
Persistent Poster

Atheist Church

Postby Lausten » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:02 pm

A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Re: Atheist Church

Postby fromthehills » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:11 pm

I would go, maybe once, but I like the Skeptics in the Pub idea much better.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:59 pm

fromthehills wrote:I would go, maybe once, but I like the Skeptics in the Pub idea much better.

Yeah, pubs have snacks. Do churches have snacks? (In my experience, no; but my experience may be more limited than I'm going to admit.)
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:01 pm

Gord wrote:Do churches have snacks?

Most that I have attended have one or more ladies (usually ladies, their term) that have some treat for which they are famous. In Minnesota, these would normally be called them "bars". Other places might call them "cookies" or "cakes". No buffalo wings though.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:03 pm

Lausten wrote:
Gord wrote:Do churches have snacks?

Most that I have attended have one or more ladies (usually ladies, their term) that have some treat for which they are famous. In Minnesota, these would normally be called them "bars". Other places might call them "cookies" or "cakes". No buffalo wings though.

That's a dirty trick.

Some dude," Wanna come to church?"

Me, "No."

"Come on, Edna does a great bar."

Me, " Bar? Sure, why not."

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:24 am

Talk about dirty tricks... My crazy Pentecostal Christian mate invited us to see him play in his church band. "We'll be playing rock and roll and there'll be food! C'mon, it'll be awesome!"

There was overly sweet cordial and salmonella potluck. And they changed all the lyrics to be about Jesus. Then they tried to convert us.

Worst two hours of my life, ever. All I could think was, There is a Hell. It's right here, now. And there's no beer.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:49 pm

I'm sorry MM, I didn't know. That sounds awful. I'm glad you kept your wits about you.

I had a friend that I worked with. He and I would get into theological discussions at work. He asked me to come to his church on Wednesday evenings. They watched a video of some nutjob preach about the Proof of Jesus being the Son of God. Wait, we'd go in, have dinner, which wasn't godawful, then watch the video ,and after, have a discussion about it at a table of four to six people. I think I went three or four times as the token agnostic, ( agnostic, at the time, of some sort of spiritual something, but my views of Christianity were about the same as they are now.) The first few times were fine. They were nice level headed discussions, my points were mainly shooting holes in the consistency of the Bible, because it's infallibility was their premise. The last night I went, there was a guy at my table that wouldn't shut the {!#%@} about God helping him out when he had a flat tire and no spare. Which was so mundane that I thought he was joking, ( someone gave him a lift) until he kept interrupting everyone with the same story, and the miracle of it. I thought maybe he was some wingnut that happened to wander in for a meal, but, nope, he was a regular at the church. Sure, he was one guy, no reason to quit for that, but everyone else at the table seemed to think it was a miracle, too. I decided not to go back, because I'd probably end up getting angry, at some point.

But there was no proselytization, as promised. And I'd have a couple after work pints before attending.

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Postby vanderpoel » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:14 pm

As a kid in Holland I was close to the church, you could say I had many awakenings.
Every Sunday morning as a matter of fact, as far back as I can remember, except the first three years of my formative years under nazi occupation when no church bells disturbed the peace. My house was adjacent to the backlot of a Catholic church, easily accessible by scaling a pipe, walking through the rain gutters and climbing through a bathroom window. I was sure god made bathroom windows small enough for kids to fit through so we could check under the pews for pennies from heaven. Quite lucrative for little kids on Sunday night covert ops, especially since we didn't pay any taxes and we were giving it all to the poor, which we were, and we fenced our blessings at the candy store, no questions asked. I now think of those formative years as experiments in distribution by cutting out the middle man, kinda what the occupation was all about.
That's how I learned that gods are about money, they seem pretty powerless to do any miracles without dough. It must be a tough racket to be in the church business, especially some godless atheist church, and I see no point getting in it.
Besides, all the best deities are taken.
"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:31 pm

vanderpoel wrote:...the first three years of my formative years under nazi occupation when no church bells disturbed the peace.

The temptation to say "Ah the good ol' days!" was too strong for me to resist.

But at least I can blame Hitler for it without Godwining the thread!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:33 am

You're probably too young for this question, Van. But...How do you feel about the Tea Party comparing Obama to Hitler? Or the reverse. How did you feel about the Lefties comparing Dubya to Hitler?

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:16 am

fromthehills wrote:How did you feel about the Lefties comparing Dubya to Hitler?

I don't remember seeing that happen, except as counter-arguments when Righties compared someone else to Hitler. I'm sure it must have happened somewhere, though.
#ANDAMOVIE

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Postby vanderpoel » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:13 am

fromthehills wrote:You're probably too young for this question, Van. But...How do you feel about the Tea Party comparing Obama to Hitler? Or the reverse. How did you feel about the Lefties comparing Dubya to Hitler?

Yeah, I am definitely too old for such questions, mainly because I'm as tired of Hitler issues as I am of god issues. I have paid my dues thinking and talking about them, it's time for younger men to go on their knees for their country and {!#%@} with these issues.
"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:34 pm

Gord wrote:
fromthehills wrote:How did you feel about the Lefties comparing Dubya to Hitler?

I don't remember seeing that happen, except as counter-arguments when Righties compared someone else to Hitler. I'm sure it must have happened somewhere, though.

I saw a lot of it after 2001, and the patriot act, and the call for war in Iraq. Around here, anyway.

vanderpoel wrote:
fromthehills wrote:You're probably too young for this question, Van. But...How do you feel about the Tea Party comparing Obama to Hitler? Or the reverse. How did you feel about the Lefties comparing Dubya to Hitler?

Yeah, I am definitely too old for such questions, mainly because I'm as tired of Hitler issues as I am of god issues. I have paid my dues thinking and talking about them, it's time for younger men to go on their knees for their country and {!#%@} with these issues.

Fair enough.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:01 pm

I saw a lot of it after 2001, and the patriot act, and the call for war in Iraq. Around here, anyway.

Yes, it was done, right on the floors of congress (Robert Byrd 10/17/03). It's in the record. But there is a difference between drawing actual parallels and simply saying, "he's like Hitler". There are many Sarah Palin videos with that sort of statement and Limbaugh's overuse of "Nazi" is well known. And I won't deny that some of my less eloquent friends made similar statements about Bush, but that doesn't really have much affect on the flow of history. I'm sure you can quote mine news programs and find similar statements.

What I heard from leaders of the left were explanations of how Goering manipulated the media and gave people the impression that they either supported everything the Nazis were doing or they were subversive terrorists. The people themselves would then enforce these ideas on their neighbors. This is something you can examine for yourself and verify. It is very different than making a connection like "Hitler banned guns so he could round up the Jews in neighborhoods then kill them and Obama wants to do the same thing to white southerners."

Cherry Blossom

Postby Cherry Blossom » Tue May 07, 2013 5:09 pm

Lausten wrote:I don't know, could be fun. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21319945

I think this would be so awesome here in the US. Now I REALLY want to travel to the UK! I've been thinking about it for a while now.
"Throw yourself in next time and rid us of your stupidity!" -Gandalf

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Monster » Tue May 07, 2013 9:50 pm

Gord wrote:
fromthehills wrote:I would go, maybe once, but I like the Skeptics in the Pub idea much better.

Yeah, pubs have snacks. Do churches have snacks? (In my experience, no; but my experience may be more limited than I'm going to admit.)

The churches I've attended often do have snacks after mass.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Wed May 08, 2013 3:39 pm

Monster wrote:
Gord wrote:

They give you snacks during mass!
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Monster » Wed May 08, 2013 3:46 pm

Austin Harper wrote:
Monster wrote:
Gord wrote:

They give you snacks during mass!

Oh yeah, that. The eucharist generally doesn't taste that good. But I used to like the ones I had at my Catholic grammar school.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Postby kennyc » Wed May 08, 2013 3:50 pm

Gord wrote:

Well sure, the body and the blood! sheesh!
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Postby kennyc » Wed May 08, 2013 3:55 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:Talk about dirty tricks... My crazy Pentecostal Christian mate invited us to see him play in his church band. "We'll be playing rock and roll and there'll be food! C'mon, it'll be awesome!"

There was overly sweet cordial and salmonella potluck. And they changed all the lyrics to be about Jesus. Then they tried to convert us.

Worst two hours of my life, ever. All I could think was, There is a Hell. It's right here, now. And there's no beer.

Woulda been Warm Beer if they'd had it.

:lol:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Return to “Links”