Theological malpractice

Stuff of interest on the Web...
Lausten
Persistent Poster

Theological malpractice

Postby Lausten » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:11 pm

I finished the historical Jesus class I found online at iTunesU. You can get my comments and all the links here. The lecturer, Thomas Sheehan, is a practicing Catholic, on the very liberal end of the spectrum. After breaking down the history to almost nothing from a guy named Jesus and mostly about politics and myth-making, he describes the process of synthesizing the gospels into the one version of theology that we have today. He steps out of lecturing for a moment and says,

this is, “…the stupidity, frankly, of it all.” And he notes, it has given “the village atheist” all the ammunition they need to say it is stupid. He continues,
“And the fact that it is performed by people with doctorates and people who have the authority to preach from pulpits, doesn’t make it any less ignorant. If you went to a doctor and she didn’t know about the latest treatments for cancer, you’d probably find another doctor. And if she treated you with information about cancer from 10 years ago, you would sue her for malpractice. But preachers get a pass. Even though they are dealing with issues that concern the existential commitment of people’s lives, ‘does my life have meaning, will I end up in hell if I do this, that or the other’, even though they advise on those based upon their alleged knowledge of scripture. They get away with it.”

As one of those village atheists, you might ask why should you care? You could say, let them fail, let them continue to provide you with ammunition. But what we also know is that as evidence accumulates, religion reacts, it changes to accommodate the new data and often claims that it said that all along. What we are seeing today is the rollback of everything from the Latin Vulgate on, to a few small communities spread around the declining Roman Empire. It is not exactly competition for mega-churches right now, but house churches are growing The Emerging Church is organizing. I think we'll see more of it.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Egon

Re: Theological malpractice

Postby Egon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:27 pm

You say, "What we are seeing today is the rollback of everything from the Latin Vulgate on, to a few small communities spread around the declining Roman Empire." What does this mean? The meaning of this isn't clear to me.

You say, "It is not exactly competition for mega-churches right now". What isn't?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:00 am

It seems the OP is saying that a revival or imitation of what is understood as the early beginnings of the Christian faith is happening as their long standing sand castles are crumbling...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_chur ... ural_basis
Hi, Io the lurker.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:26 am

Egon wrote:You say, "What we are seeing today is the rollback of everything from the Latin Vulgate on, to a few small communities spread around the declining Roman Empire." What does this mean? The meaning of this isn't clear to me.

You say, "It is not exactly competition for mega-churches right now". What isn't?

Thanks for the helpful link scrmblddgs. By "rollback", I mean reviewing what all the theologians have said since the 2nd or 3rd century and saying it is all questionable. Protestants have been throwing out Catholic theology for a long time, most Christians have no problem disavowing the Crusades, but if you're cherry picking, where do you stop? Some are throwing it all out and, using new information gathered by "historical Jesus" studies, making up a new version of what was intended.

Because it's new, and because it white washes away centuries of corrupt clergy, it is appealing. But really, it's just the same old claims of knowing something about what someone meant based on bad histriography.

I'm not clear on your second question. Mega-churches, by definition, are mega-popular, so a little gathering in someone's living room somewhere doesn't qualify as competition.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Return to “Links”