Cambridge? Really?

Stuff of interest on the Web...
Lausten
Persistent Poster

Cambridge? Really?

Postby Lausten » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:19 pm

I guess they'll let anybody have a website now. I am hassling people at the new "Freedom From Atheism Foundation" facebook page. It appears that about half of the people commenting there are atheists. Their arguments are pretty typical and include the "we're better than you militants because we don't use ad hominem attacks" type of statements.

I was just linked to this as an argument against something I said. There is an "about" link at the top. From the quality of it, I assumed it would be some Freshmen theology students with nothing better to do, but nope, Ph.D's. The list of problems with this site are too many to list. Some of the pages start out with facts and some of the statements actually make sense. But keep reading, I don't think I went more than three paragraphs on any one page without hitting something that could has completely refuted.

Here's an example from "Atheist Arguments"

In the contemporary context, academic philosophy is not short of robust philosophical defences of theism to which atheistic philosophers must constantly address themselves. Philosophers such as Michael Martin, Daniel Dennett, Paul Kurtz, Kai Nielsen, the Churchlands, A.C.Grayling and Julian Baggini have ably defended philosophical atheism; on the other side, philosophical theologians such as Alvin Plantinga, Richard Swinburne, and D.Z.Phillips have equally ably defended theism.

This has tended to lead to intellectual stalemate, and for this reason many atheists have chosen to turn away from direct intellectual refutations of religion and towards reductionist explanations of religion.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Re: Cambridge? Really?

Postby kennyc » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:23 pm

I know this is an old thread (about a year) but just ran across Plantinga as he apparently has a 'new' book out:

Where the Conflict Really Lies: Science, Religion, and Naturalism that got the debunking treatment recently in eskeptic:

http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/13-12-18/#feature
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Return to “Links”