Truthism.com

Stuff of interest on the Web...
Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Re: Truthism.com

Postby Austin Harper » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:44 pm

Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:37 pm

Yes,Dan... there is no doubt that exaggerated vanity, pathological narcissism has overtaken any possible claim that PanAm might have to be taken seriously here.
"Evidence" as a standard only has resonance when all parties to discourse agree on what constitutes evidence.
"Because I WANT it," accompanied by figurative foot stamping is the coddled child's or hormonally askew adolescent's offering of evidence.
Which is what has lead, in Western civilization, in many languages, to the useful "go to your room!"

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:01 pm

Pamam55
Regular Poster

Postby Pamam55 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:37 pm

nmblum wrote:Yes,Dan... there is no doubt that exaggerated vanity, pathological narcissism has overtaken any possible claim that PanAm might have to be taken seriously here.
"Evidence" as a standard only has resonance when all parties to discourse agree on what constitutes evidence.
"Because I WANT it," accompanied by figurative foot stamping is the coddled child's or hormonally askew adolescent's offering of evidence.
Which is what has lead, in Western civilization, in many languages, to the useful "go to your room!"

NMB

Grow up and think for yourself

Quit worshiping science or religion, both of which were invented by the ruling elite long before YOU were born

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:40 pm

Why are sites such as Truthism.com always composed of big letters and annoying background colours?

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:13 pm

Pamam55 wrote:
nmblum wrote:Yes,Dan... there is no doubt that exaggerated vanity, pathological narcissism has overtaken any possible claim that PanAm might have to be taken seriously here.

NMB

Grow up and think for yourself

Quit worshiping science or religion, both of which were invented by the ruling elite long before YOU were born

Repetitive and foolish.
(Ayn Rand, if she were a clown.)
Go to your room!

Norma Manna Blum
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Pamam55
Regular Poster

Postby Pamam55 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:31 am

OutOfBreath wrote:OK, I have skimmed over the site as I was very bored yesterday.

Impressions:

1. For all those words, preciously little evidence is presented. The evidence, even at face value, doesn't even support what's otherwise written about.

2. Leave no conspiracy theory behind. A lot of Icke and von Däniken. Even hollow earth gets a nod inside the monologue. Seems pretty extraneous to the topic otherwise, but then the page does read like a longish rant about stuff the author believes in. Apparently for no other reason then to know he knows more than others. Now I shouldn't throw stones in glass houses, cause I used to be taken in by von Däniken myself, at age 15 or so. Anywho, the author seems to think that more conspiracies support eachother, so that the framework is sound. Instead of realizing that each new claim in conjunction with another is evermore unlikely, or to finish the metaphor, it doesn't help if you have framework, if it stands on nothing but air.

3. The author (very probably pamam himself considering style) thinks very highly of himself and can't help himself berating everyone else for being stupid, while congratulating himself on his great intellect in seeing through the charade.

4. Dehumanizing content. Large chunks of humanity are written off as mere containers without a soul. Now the delusions of grandeur in general coupled with rationalizations why some people aren't really people send shivers down my spine. Another person who coupled such is currently on trial in Norway.

5. Women. The author is definitely a man to write the stuff he does there. Apparently relationships are just part of the conspiracy to veer our hero off from his monomanic path of self-enlightenment. "Women aren't like us" etc etc.

6. Speaking of such, there seems to a bit of an unhealthy fascination for this woman (tv host of some kind?) and her blinking. The blink was supposedly to show that she was a reptilian, but for all those close-ups and still frames, I can't for the life of me see what's supposed to be so odd.

So, a long, monomanic rant from a person who displays a few unsettling character traits. Light on evidence, heavy on bald assertions, self congratulations, a smidgeon of scientology, dehumanization and a very elitist attitude to "the masses".

Peace
Dan

1) There's plenty of evidence of all claims. Just because YOU decide not to "believe" it because authority figures tell you not to is YOUR problem.

2) Huh?

3) It is quite exciting and challenging at the same time to see through this charade that we call earth. Once you do and reach a certain level of consciousness you will realize what a scam it truly is. We all have egos and therefore, yes I do think highly of myself.

4) Most people have no spirits or souls. Just look into their eyes. They are COMPLETELY 100% programmed. This is not MY opinion, go to Walmart or to a sports game or anywhere and look into the eyes of these people. No one is home. What does Norway have to do with this?

5) Women are utterly pathetic. No different than children. They seek attention, throw fits and are attracted to shiny things. They, for the most part, are an embarrassment to the human species as a whole. Sure not EVERY single woman is but a good 99.99%. Again, they are EASILY programmable.

bigtim
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Skeptical Berserker

Postby bigtim » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:39 am

Pamam55 wrote:
OutOfBreath wrote:1. For all those words, preciously little evidence is presented. The evidence, even at face value, doesn't even support what's otherwise written about.

1) There's plenty of evidence of all claims. Just because YOU decide not to "believe" it because authority figures tell you not to is YOUR problem.

There is exactly ZERO evidence of any of these claims. Believing a thing to be true does not make evidence. You can’t say look at this sand in my hand, it’s obvious you retard! And call that evidence. You have no clue what evidence means. Luckily, evidence is not about belief.

ev•i•dence
noun
1. that which tends to prove or disprove something; ground for belief; proof.
2. something that makes plain or clear; an indication or sign: His flushed look was visible evidence of his fever.
3. Law . data presented to a court or jury in proof of the facts in issue and which may include the testimony of witnesses, records, documents, or objects.

verb (used with object)
4. to make evident or clear; show clearly; manifest: He evidenced his approval by promising his full support.
5. to support by evidence: He evidenced his accusation with incriminating letters.

Pamam55 wrote:
OutOfBreath wrote:2. Leave no conspiracy theory behind. A lot of Icke and von Däniken. Even hollow earth gets a nod inside the monologue. Seems pretty extraneous to the topic otherwise, but then the page does read like a longish rant about stuff the author believes in. Apparently for no other reason then to know he knows more than others. Now I shouldn't throw stones in glass houses, cause I used to be taken in by von Däniken myself, at age 15 or so. Anywho, the author seems to think that more conspiracies support eachother, so that the framework is sound. Instead of realizing that each new claim in conjunction with another is evermore unlikely, or to finish the metaphor, it doesn't help if you have framework, if it stands on nothing but air.

2) Huh?

He means you’re a nut job that accepts all conspiracy theories and bizarre notions of reality credence in your insane rant.

Pamam55 wrote:
OutOfBreath wrote:3. The author (very probably pamam himself considering style) thinks very highly of himself and can't help himself berating everyone else for being stupid, while congratulating himself on his great intellect in seeing through the charade.

3) It is quite exciting and challenging at the same time to see through this charade that we call earth. Once you do and reach a certain level of consciousness you will realize what a scam it truly is. We all have egos and therefore, yes I do think highly of myself.

Earth is not a charade your story is. You have not reached any level of consciousness. Your ego is not deserved and I call it schizophrenia. I bet you’re supposed to take medication aren’t you?

Pamam55 wrote:
OutOfBreath wrote:4. Dehumanizing content. Large chunks of humanity are written off as mere containers without a soul. Now the delusions of grandeur in general coupled with rationalizations why some people aren't really people send shivers down my spine. Another person who coupled such is currently on trial in Norway.

4) Most people have no spirits or souls. Just look into their eyes. They are COMPLETELY 100% programmed. This is not MY opinion, go to Walmart or to a sports game or anywhere and look into the eyes of these people. No one is home. What does Norway have to do with this?

The soul or even spirit does not exist. So you are part of these soulless animals that you berate. You are nothing but an intelligent animal… and a nutty one at that.

But, more to the point, you don’t even realize what a soul is regardless of what a spirit is. Even though both are works of fiction they both originate from very specific theologies and have specific meanings in their respective theologies. You’re making the crock-pot new-age version of nonsense stew… not really doing any homework in the history of the fiction you adhere to and yet spouting tripe at the same time. Poor form.

Pamam55 wrote:
OutOfBreath wrote:5. Women. The author is definitely a man to write the stuff he does there. Apparently relationships are just part of the conspiracy to veer our hero off from his monomanic path of self-enlightenment. "Women aren't like us" etc etc.

5) Women are utterly pathetic. No different than children. They seek attention, throw fits and are attracted to shiny things. They, for the most part, are an embarrassment to the human species as a whole. Sure not EVERY single woman is but a good 99.99%. Again, they are EASILY programmable.

Now take all those words and replace women with Panam55… you see, your comments are about yourself. Here, I’ll help:

Panam55 is utterly pathetic. No different than children. Panam55 seeks attention, throw fits and is attracted to shiny things. Panam55 is, for the most part, an embarrassment to the human species as a whole. Sure not EVERY single person is like this, but Panam55 is. Again, Panam55 is EASILY programmable.

I find your misogyny reprehensible.

OutOfBreath wrote:6. Speaking of such, there seems to a bit of an unhealthy fascination for this woman (tv host of some kind?) and her blinking. The blink was supposedly to show that she was a reptilian, but for all those close-ups and still frames, I can't for the life of me see what's supposed to be so odd.

So, a long, monomanic rant from a person who displays a few unsettling character traits. Light on evidence, heavy on bald assertions, self congratulations, a smidgeon of scientology, dehumanization and a very elitist attitude to "the masses".

Interesting that Panam55 chose not to reply to this comment….
~
BigTim
"I'm not entirely convinced that ValHalla isn't real."

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Monster » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:26 pm

I'm listening to the Oh No Ross and Carrie podcast at the moment. They're talking about Rael. Rael believed the same BS as Pamam55 (that aliens made humans) so I'm a bit surprised that truthism.com doesn't mention Rael.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Pamam55
Regular Poster

Postby Pamam55 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:28 pm

Monster wrote:I'm listening to the Oh No Ross and Carrie podcast at the moment. They're talking about Rael. Rael believed the same BS as Pamam55 (that aliens made humans) so I'm a bit surprised that truthism.com doesn't mention Rael.

It's not BS, it's the truth

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:29 pm

Proof please.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:56 pm

Austin Harper wrote:Proof please.

Because ... foot stamping... I say so!!
LOL.. Aliens and lizards don't know nuthin' 'bout any evidence.
No reason to... no one ever asked before.
Although I did once hear that the Song of Solomon is really about old Sol's obsessive romantic (with a touch of the kinky) attachment to an alligator.
Which inspired his great poetic line "Oh how beautiful are thy feet with shoes..." (Song of Solomon 7:1)

NMB
Skepticism:

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:38 am

nmblum wrote:

Although I did once hear that the Song of Solomon is really about old Sol's obsessive romantic (with a touch of the kinky) attachment to an alligator.
Which inspired his great poetic line "Oh how beautiful are thy feet with shoes..." (Song of Solomon 7:1)

NMB

Was ol' Sol that widely travelled? There are only two species of alligator - the american alligator; and Alligator sinensis, which lives in this region.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:36 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:
nmblum wrote:

NMB

Was ol' Sol that widely travelled? There are only two species of alligator - the american alligator; and Alligator sinensis, which lives in this region.

Oleg: Old Sol is biblical which means that anything goes.
And Pan Am is a looney which means that anything goes.
In spades.
Given the company and the source of the contretemps, I am exonerated from sticking to facts of history or geography.
Or for that matter anything else, including syntax or punctuation.
Why bother, when anything goes?

NMB
Skepticism:

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:11 am

I suppose it is remotely possible that Sol had acquired a specimen of A. sinensis via India, but really, the odds are so low that I would sooner bet on Panam55's sanity.

What is so amusing is that the concoctor of Sol's alligatorphilia made an error so easily checked - crocodiles were known in biblical times. The percentage of stories, including some so-called news stories, that can be easily refuted with 2 minutes on Google is truly one of the astounding features of the times we live in.

In preliteracy days, people could be forgiven their ignorance, because, for a lot of folks (as it is today in much of Africa), the information is just not available. Modern, educated humans don't have that excuse.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Pamam55
Regular Poster

Postby Pamam55 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:03 pm

I can only give you the truth, nothing more

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:15 pm

Pamam55 wrote:I can only give you the truth, nothing more

But you can certainly give us less. A lot less. Even less than that.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:33 pm

You're asking too much.
trump is literally a piece of {!#%@}.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:12 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:I suppose it is remotely possible that Sol had acquired a specimen of A. sinensis via India, but really, the odds are so low that I would sooner bet on Panam55's sanity.

What is so amusing is that the concoctor of Sol's alligatorphilia made an error so easily checked - crocodiles were known in biblical times. The percentage of stories, including some so-called news stories, that can be easily refuted with 2 minutes on Google is truly one of the astounding features of the times we live in.

In preliteracy days, people could be forgiven their ignorance, because, for a lot of folks (as it is today in much of Africa), the information is just not available. Modern, educated humans don't have that excuse.

Tell it.... "humans don't have that excuse.." to Truthie Ruthie (PanAm55) who has chosen to by- pass all the information available to her in favor of alien babble, or "that lizard ate my DNA." pronouncements.
What Truthie Ruthie doesn't seem to get is that ignoring evidence, jumping off the edge of the flat earth in favor of malarkey , is a double edged sword.
She certainly does get to natter on getting attention from those of us who should know better.
But as the concoctor of Sol's aligatorphilia (lovely word, for which I thank you) I feel, given the context provided by Truthie Ruthie that I am free to say anything in rebuttal - no matter how far out - that pops into my mind .
Tit (my bull {!#%@}) for tat (her bat {!#%@}).

And about anybody.
Why not?
But I do have some genuine curiosity and some serious questions about the why and wherefore of anti-Darwinian monkey poop that tries to pass as some form of serious inquiry...
Remind me, please.... what's the point?
What does it mean?
What great illumination or wisdom, or betterment for the species, for the planet, for the universe, comes from pursuing these basically untenable, foolish, long discredited, comic book conjectures.
What is that these loony birds have in mind?
NMB
Skepticism:

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:15 am

Pamam55 wrote:I can only give you the truth, nothing more

On a tree by a river a little tom-tit
Sang "Willow, titwillow, titwillow!"
And I said to him, "Dicky-bird, why do you sit
Singing Willow, titwillow, titwillow'?"
"Is it weakness of intellect, birdie?" I cried,
"Or a rather tough worm in your little inside?"
With a shake of his poor little head, he replied,
"Oh, willow, titwillow, titwillow!"

He slapped at his chest, as he sat on that bough,
Singing "Willow, titwillow, titwillow!"
And a cold perspiration bespangled his brow,
Oh, willow, titwillow, titwillow!
He sobbed and he sighed, and a gurgle he gave,
Then he plunged himself into the billowy wave,
And an echo arose from the suicide's grave —

Now I feel just as sure as I'm sure that my name
Isn't Willow, titwillow, titwillow,
That 'twas blighted affection that made him exclaim
And if you remain callous and obdurate, I
Shall perish as he did, and you will know why,
Though I probably shall not exclaim as I die,

(Wm.S. Gilbert, Arthur Sullivan..."the Mikado.")

Norma Manna Blum
Skepticism:

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:43 am

What great illumination or wisdom, or betterment for the species, for the planet, for the universe,
NMB[/quote]

I mean no disrespect, but I would like to ask this, are we (the product) responsible for such?

Lard, save me from your followers.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:25 pm

nmblum wrote:What great illumination or wisdom, or betterment for the species, for the planet, for the universe, comes from pursuing these basically untenable, foolish, long discredited, comic book conjectures.
NMB

Maintenance of the rigid patriarchal heirarchy. Anything that challenges power must be rejected. One of the peculiarities of human nature is that it is just as easy to convince the downtrodden that they should be downtrodden as it is to convince the uptrodden that they deserve to be uptrodden.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:54 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:What great illumination or wisdom, or betterment for the species, for the planet, for the universe,
NMB

I mean no disrespect, but I would like to ask this, are we (the product) responsible for such?[/quote]
Of course not... our reason for being here, if there is one, is still a mystery, with more evidence that there is none than otherwise.
However, even were our habitat analogous to nothing more than a public rest room, again reason dictates that given our intelligence and our myriad talents, our creativity, our curiosity and our drive for building better mousetraps.. AND our general health and welfare, that we should at least try to leave the restroom if not rbetter, than no worse than we found it.

So while theorizing is by the nature of the mind itself r wide ranging, with no limits on what it can come up with idea-wise, still there are theories that do encourage more understanding of who we are,and where we are going, than others.
The insistence that man is the issue of aliens (what IS an alien anyway?) is too late (and needless to say, too little).
It doesn't have any creative juice.... so insisting on it as a reality of our existence seems rather pointless (pointless sounds so much less pejorative than lunatic) at this stage of our development and within the parameters of what we already know about our history.
Ditto for lizard-theory. It isn't interesting enough to warrant wasting time on it because it doesn't augment what we already have evidence for.... that extraordinary ordinary amoeba in the East African pond.

NMB
Skepticism:

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:03 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
nmblum wrote:What great illumination or wisdom, or betterment for the species, for the planet, for the universe, comes from pursuing these basically untenable, foolish, long discredited, comic book conjectures.
NMB

Maintenance of the rigid patriarchal heirarchy. Anything that challenges power must be rejected. One of the peculiarities of human nature is that it is just as easy to convince the downtrodden that they should be downtrodden as it is to convince the uptrodden that they deserve to be uptrodden.

Of course.. well said.
It's maintenance, yes, but dressed up as innovation, rebellion, assault on the status quo..
One of the dangers that accrues to accepted theory is that it invites challenge just by the fact of its acceptance.
Which is good, but while many challenges are warranted, and make for better scholarship, better science, a lot of garbage i.e. aliens and lizards, accumulates at the laboratory door.
NMB
Skepticism:

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:01 pm

nmblum wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:What great illumination or wisdom, or betterment for the species, for the planet, for the universe,
NMB

(what IS an alien anyway?)

NMB

I found it rather funny that earlier this morning I was musing similar and to me the only thing I know of resembling "aliens" would be humans exploring space. But as great and amazing as our efforts and successes have been, they still must be looking like fleas jumping from a greater distance.

But yes, how could there be anything alien to the universe?

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:31 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
nmblum wrote:
NMB

(what IS an alien anyway?)

NMB

I found it rather funny that earlier this morning I was musing similar and to me the only thing I know of resembling "aliens" would be humans exploring space. But as great and amazing as our efforts and successes have been, they still must be looking like fleas jumping from a greater distance.

But yes, how could there be anything alien to the universe?

Our human ego has made us excessively aggressive and terminally arrogant.
And foolish.
Some of it... most of it.. can be directly blamed on the Bible: : "created in god's image" might be the most damaging information ever imparted to a vulnerable species.
There is little doubt that we take it too seriously....

And the gift of having dominion over all other living things so seriously that it has colored and twisted our view of reality...."
"And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth." (Genesis 1:28)
Western man has ignored the poetry and turned it into a suicide note.

NMB
Skepticism:

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:11 pm

Yes, I very much agree.

And it would seem wise to me to find out the workings of things to preserve and not damage the existing order and not to use the gained knowledge to exploit and destroy. And also to apply it to restore as much of health in any afflicted system as can be done.

Steward and physician rather than a cancer and parasite?

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:58 pm

nmblum wrote:Western man has ignored the poetry and turned it into a suicide note.

NMB

I think you give Christianity too much credit. The Rapanuis (Easter Islanders) did a fine job of destruction long before they ever heard of Jesus. Short term gain for long term pain is not exactly scarce throughout history. Collectively, humans are dunderheads. We don't need religion to exercize our stupidity, though religion provides a wonderful focus for it. In fact, one could say that religion is to stupidity as Arecibo is to radio waves.

Be that as it may, the plundering to destruction of our planet's resources is led by greed and lust for power, not religion.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:25 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
nmblum wrote:Western man has ignored the poetry and turned it into a suicide note.

NMB

I think you give Christianity too much credit. The Rapanuis (Easter Islanders) did a fine job of destruction long before they ever heard of Jesus. Short term gain for long term pain is not exactly scarce throughout history. Collectively, humans are dunderheads. We don't need religion to exercize our stupidity, though religion provides a wonderful focus for it. In fact, one could say that religion is to stupidity as Arecibo is to radio waves.

Be that as it may, the plundering to destruction of our planet's resources is led by greed and lust for power, not religion.

Did I mention Jesus....??
I don't think Christianity is the worst offender when it comes to exhorting humans to group endeavors that are less than noble.
Not at all... all religions, including sects with five followers and one leader, have the power to take humans where, were we of more independent mind, we would not go..
And not necessarily for moral reasons, but for the practical one that violence rarely if ever solves human problems, and for the most part explosions of cataclysmic vengeance usually make things worse...

However, in Western society, Christianity, in one form or another is the dominant religious force,
And while religion per se might not be the basis of evil motivation it is certainly the tool for effecting mass actions that might otherwise - were god not really ON our side.- been adjudicated differently.
What is interesting to me is that while "we," by which I mean our educational institutions, and our media, clearly understand this about say, the Middle East, its Islamic traditions and religious law, they don't see fit to educate our own befuddled population in the fact that religious exhortation is religious exhortation...which means effectively some variation on "kill the heathen bastards who want our wallets, our women and our cigarette," no matter the language in which the words are spoken..."

NMB
Skepticism:

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:14 am

I've been tracing the passing of Greek knowledge from culture to culture. The Romans conquered the Greeks and didn't care too much for the philosophers. Then as Christianity took hold, they felt they didn't need it all, God would take care of them. They pushed out the Nestorians and Jacobites whom the Persians were glad to take in. This was right about the time of Mohammad and for a couple centuries, the Koranic verses about knowledge were taken seriously. That and the needs of a growing empire continued to encourage learning. Then along came this guy named Al-Ghazali with his mysticaly ways and the empire started to weaken. That was really bad timing because the Mongols were coming from the East and the Christians were finally starting to figure how to feed themselves in the North. 1492 saw the conquest of Spain and the beginnings of bringing riches from the New World. By then, enough of the ideas of reason and science had transferred to Christendom and the rest is the more familiar Western history.

Joseph Tainter lists 11 factors in the collapse of socities

1. depletion or cessation of vital resources, 2. establishment of a new resource base, 3. insurmountable catastrophe, 4. insufficient response to circumstances, 5. other complex societies, 6. invaders, 7. class conflict/societal contradiction/elite mismanagement or misbehaviour, 8. social dysfunction, 9. chance concatenation of events, 10. mystical factors and/or 11. economic factors.

I would simplify to 3, some level of peace, agreement that knowledge deserves funding, and some willingness to care about others and doubt yourself.

The peace part is what we usually study in history in class, who the generals are, who declared war. The funding part is usually less understood or discussed. In the case of Byzantia, they were arrogant bastards and the Islamics of the 11th century got duped by a guy who said, "but you can't PROOOOOVE that god doesn't exist, so there." The willingness to care part is about people, and most of what is taught as history is not about people, it is about the leaders who won the wars. Hopefully we're figuring out that we are history, not them, and books won't be burned and libraries won't be torn down this time around.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:07 am

Lausten, you have a good heart, but you had a peculiar history teacher...
History is not the story of folks, as in you and me, but about the folks who galvanized the folks...the kings, the governors, the generals, and for the most part those who rose to the top and stayed there for the length of some significant transition.. war, or occupation... or even an era of remarkable progress in the accumulation of human knowledge and/or technology...
Never was, never will be: it is FICTION that encapsulates the life and death of common man , tells us who he was, how he lived, what his concerns were. Think "War and Peace..."
But for now, could you please explain "1492 saw the conquest of Spain?"
Huh?

NMB

P.S. Come to think of it, I wouldn't push that "age of the common man" theme too hard, if I were you, because although it is a much harsher idea (especially as most of us at the bottom are shell shocked when we find that our government and our military do not for the most part reflect our beliefs and attitudes at all) the excuse that "we didn't KNOW what our government was doing.... " went out with the Nuremberg trials. in 1946...
And was further damned when the war in Vietnam became dinner time entertainment for a country that ate and digested well, while terrible things were done in our names and on the 6 o'clock news.
And while the protests have become famous and made the era famous, the truth it that the number of people protesting were a drop in the bucket of a 200,000 population.
Further, today's 6 o'clock news reflects people both evil and stupid who are offering to lead us, and we are seriously getting ready to choose from among them.
The more things change the more they remain the same... among the so called common menas well as among those he follows.
As far as history is concerned the ages are known by the people we choose to follow into infamy, or death and destruction....
NMB
Skepticism:

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:26 am

nmblum wrote:[

And about anybody.
Why not?
But I do have some genuine curiosity and some serious questions about the why and wherefore of anti-Darwinian monkey poop that tries to pass as some form of serious inquiry...
What does it mean?
What great illumination or wisdom, or betterment for the species, for the planet, for the universe, comes from pursuing these basically untenable, foolish, long discredited, comic book conjectures.
NMB

Because, people that don't see a better position, a more logical and researched position, buy it. Well, plus, she came into our home field. It's not really about persuading her to our side. It's about showing the unwary googler that the idea is junk, and here's why. That is bettering the education of our species. The more popular it becomes to vet one's sources, the better off we all are. To show how ignorant this person is, and removed from reality, then perhaps the passerby will learn some critical thinking skills. Who knows?

My take, anyway.

bigtim
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Skeptical Berserker

Postby bigtim » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:31 am

fromthehills wrote:

And about anybody.
Why not?
What does it mean?
NMB

Because, people that don't see a better position, a more logical and researched position, buy it. Well, plus, she came into our home field. It's not really about persuading her to our side. It's about showing the unwary googler that the idea is junk, and here's why. That is bettering the education of our species. The more popular it becomes to vet one's sources, the better off we all are. To show how ignorant this person is, and removed from reality, then perhaps the passerby will learn some critical thinking skills. Who knows?

My take, anyway.

My take-away is she's a joke and thus impervious to rationed and reasonable arguments...
~

BigTim

"I'm not entirely convinced that ValHalla isn't real."

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:57 am

In 1492 the Reconquista was officially ended with the conquest of Granada, the southernmost district of Spain. As Columbus wrote in his diary, "In the same month in which their Majesties [Ferdinand and Isabella] issued the edict that all Jews should be driven out of the kingdom and its territories, in the same month they gave me the order to undertake with sufficient men my expedition of discovery to the Indies."
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:27 pm

fromthehills wrote:

And about anybody.
Why not?
What does it mean?
NMB

My take, anyway.

I agree that there is some responsibility to point out flagrant error in fact in the off chance that one reader or listener will be move to check whatever it is out... the beginning of the process of inquiry is that you first have to have a question, then an unsatisfactory answer, and then follow your own route to at least rudimentary knowledge as the basis of personal response.
Of course there is a danger in the idea that your interpretation of data must lead to the same conclusion. as mine, or else.
Because that's where t "I am the light..." came from.

NMB
Skepticism:

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:39 pm

bigtim wrote:
fromthehills wrote:

And about anybody.
Why not?
What does it mean?
NMB

My take, anyway.

My take-away is she's a joke and thus impervious to rationed and reasonable arguments...

Yes, PanAm55 is a joke, a sad, damaged joke, but a joke nonetheless.
But not all anti-science assaults are so blatantly mad... some of them can pass for respectable despite having absolutely no evidence in their favor...
And ALL of their lacks should be called to audience attention.....
It's hard to believe , of course, but out there where lurkers and religious fundamentalists, and self-appointed geniuses who because they couldn't graduate from kindergarten have convinced themselves that education - the pursuit of knowledge -- is some sort of scam, and that they are in a better position to create an evolutionary theory than Darwin could ever have been...OR, that those who think "Origin of Species" IS credible are simply dupes, slaves to authority, and particularly to the god of science
However, see FTH's comment above.... letting such folks pass by without calling attention either to their errors in judgment (where they DO exist) or their completely irrational nattering is, I think, a mistake.
NMB
Skepticism:

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:21 am

Lausten wrote:In 1492 the Reconquista was officially ended with the conquest of Granada, the southernmost district of Spain. As Columbus wrote in his diary, "In the same month in which their Majesties [Ferdinand and Isabella] issued the edict that all Jews should be driven out of the kingdom and its territories, in the same month they gave me the order to undertake with sufficient men my expedition of discovery to the Indies."

Sorry.. I don''t know what this means,, or what you're driving at....
the Reconquista was a very long process, with the final departure of the Moors, so many years in coming, proved to be insignificant compared to what they left behind.
And the exile of the Jews, while certainly painful to the Jews, with its destruction of families some (Conversos) to forced conversion to Catholicism and some to sentences of death, as well as to the upheaval of leaving behind what had been home for hundreds of years, really left very insignificant marks on Spain, its language and its culture, or in fact the religion. Roman Catholicism that has provided its most salient characteristics AND its politics from the 15th Century until the death of Franco in 1975.
While the Moorish influence is still everywhere to be seen and felt, the Jewish influence really resided primarily in one city, Cordoba..
Spain went on to use its powerful naval fleet, and it reputation for being home to the great explorers of the Renaissance, to effect the great feat of colonizing with an extraordinary small continent of Conquistadores in the Western world: claiming the lands from Mexico to Tierra del Fuego for the King and the Pope... and then swept through those lands, burning, looting resources, stealing everything in sights, enslaving, slaughtering... AND converting the indigenous, willing or not, to Christ...

NMB
Skepticism:

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:31 am

nmblum wrote:
fromthehills wrote:

And about anybody.
Why not?
What does it mean?
NMB

My take, anyway.

I agree that there is some responsibility to point out flagrant error in fact in the off chance that one reader or listener will be move to check whatever it is out... the beginning of the process of inquiry is that you first have to have a question, then an unsatisfactory answer, and then follow your own route to at least rudimentary knowledge as the basis of personal response.
Of course there is a danger in the idea that your interpretation of data must lead to the same conclusion. as mine, or else.
Because that's where t "I am the light..." came from.

NMB

I like that. Thank you both!

Pamam55
Regular Poster

Postby Pamam55 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:27 pm

Humans did not evolve from apes nor were we created by an imaginary "God"

We were created by the "Gods", that is, an extra-terrestrial race....oh but that's right aliens don't "officially" exist according to science. LOL how convenient...

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:35 pm

Pamam55 wrote:Humans did not evolve from apes nor were we created by an imaginary "God"

We were created by the "Gods", that is, an extra-terrestrial race....oh but that's right aliens don't "officially" exist according to science. LOL how convenient...

News Bulletin 1:
Concept of evidence continues to elude amateur anti-Darwinists.
News Bulletin 2:
One man's (or ameba's) extra terra is another man's (or ameba's) home sweet home.

NMB
Skepticism:

Return to “Links”