Semi-apology from Pat Robertson's former producer

Read any good books lately?
Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Dear [Salutation][First Name]

Semi-apology from Pat Robertson's former producer

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:15 pm

I just came across this interesting interview with Pat Robertson's former producer, half-apologizing for the mess he has helped to make in both politics and religion. Yet he says he doesn't feel bad about what he did. (I think he's missing a synapse in that connection.) Among other things, he says,

Terry Heaton wrote:There is such fear on the right about the Supreme Court. I remember one show that we were taping in which Pat prayed that God would kill the Supreme Court justices. We had to stop the tape and advise him that he couldn’t say that on TV. But that’s the way he felt. Trump really sings Pat’s tune when it comes to the Supreme Court, also on the issue of religious liberty. When Trump starts talking about how Christianity is going to be “great again,” people like Pat sit up at listen. And they’ll support him whenever necessary — even if it means blowing up North Korea!

That's just a little glimpse into the awful obscenity that is the mind of Pat Robertson, a man who was once taped advocating a special police force consisting of "godly men," empowered legally to arrest people who, the Holy Spirit tells them, are about to commit a crime. The man who wanted us to assassinate Hugo Chavez. I'm planning to purchase the book and read it. It's available here.
"Reserve a part of your wrath ; you have not seen the worst yet. You suppose that this war has been a criminal blunder and an exceptional horror ; you imagine that before long reason will prevail, and all these inferior people that govern the world will be swept aside, and your own party will reform everything and remain always in office. You are mistaken."

George Santayana, "Tipperary" (1918)

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: Semi-apology from Pat Robertson's former producer

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:37 pm

I just got a glance at some comment to an article about the recently slain police officers in Florida. It said something to the extend of paying praying for Trump to help against the satanic forces or some such babble. The truly nutty are taking to that liar as much as to all others...

Lard, save me from your followers.

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Dear [Salutation][First Name]

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:04 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:I just got a glance at some comment to an article about the recently slain police officers in Florida. It said something to the extend of paying praying for Trump to help against the satanic forces or some such babble. The truly nutty are taking to that liar as much as to all others...

Their whole narrative of the world is nutty. It is received truth among them that the racist who murdered nine people at the black church in Charleston was motivated by hatred of....Christians!! Yup. "He wanted to murder as many Christians as he could," as one of them put it on Rev. Pat's 700 Club. The fact that the victims were all black and that he could have found Christians to murder anywhere cuts no ice. The Christians-as-victims meme is thoroughly entrenched.

What I especially dislike is their view that God is obsessed with rewarding good nations and punishing sinful nations. Now, that is the view in the Hebrew Scriptures, which are the national literature of the nation those scriptures regard as good (at least part of the time, though they do go astray and have to be punished). But it's entirely contrary to the message in the New Testament, where both Jesus and Paul, the two main first-century figures in Christianity, tell their followers to cooperate with and respect the civil authorities. "Render unto Caesar...." Jesus said. And Paul said, "He [Caesar] beareth not the sword in vain," that ALL civil authority is conferred by God on rulers so that they can punish evildoers. This is not surprising, since Christians, at the time, were devoid of any political power and needed to be very careful not to upset the Romans who were occupying Palestine.

So, when Christianity finally acquired political power, that was an historical departure, and, in my opinion, not a fortunate one. The Pope had his own army until 1870, and several thousand of them gave their lives in pitched battle, unsuccesfully trying to keep the Italian government from annexing the Papal States. As a result, Pius IX declared the Italian state anathema and proclaimed automatic excommunication on any Catholic who voted in an election. (Well, Christianity has never been a champion of democracy. When the apostles needed to replace Judas, they cast lots, rather than having an election to choose the successor. And our Pilgrim fathers most definitely did not come to New England to found a democracy. Theocracy was their ideal.)
"Reserve a part of your wrath ; you have not seen the worst yet. You suppose that this war has been a criminal blunder and an exceptional horror ; you imagine that before long reason will prevail, and all these inferior people that govern the world will be swept aside, and your own party will reform everything and remain always in office. You are mistaken."

George Santayana, "Tipperary" (1918)

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:47 pm

It's not surprising that that ilk would accept Matthew 12:30, but not so much Mark 9:40 (or Luke 9:50) of the Prince of Peace...

Some seem to think that the original fables are somewhat based on drug addled minds. Moses' "burning bush", for example, seemingly correlating with a certain psychoactive plant that apparently played a role in ancient worship and the like. Add to that the human proclivities of being impressionable and also craving power (survival), and ya got a nice mess. Much of religion is a scourge on humanity, but one might think if it wasn't that mechanism, they would have invented something else.

Lard, save me from your followers.

Return to “The Bookshelf”