How to Defend Christianity

Read any good books lately?
Lausten
Persistent Poster

How to Defend Christianity

Postby Lausten » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:54 am

This is a book by John Loftus. He studied under some of the great apologists, so he knows what he is talking about. He's a fairly well known atheist. I expected that he would seriously attempt to engage Christians and tell them exactly where their arguments fail and where there are strictly philosophical arguments that can't be proven true or false. He didn't, he said things like "your brain lies to you". He kept doing this f-d up thing where he'd say, paraphrasing, do X to be an apologist, but I just told you that's a lie, so do Y, but then you won't be an apologist. How he expects Christians to continue reading this book past the 3rd chapter, I have no idea.

From title, it seemed like that was his intent, to address a Christian audience. The Amazon description backs that up. But he addresses them like children. This is mostly the same old New Atheist stuff, with a bit of Biblical scholarship thrown in.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Re: How to Defend Christianity

Postby TJrandom » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:40 pm

Sounds like the Bible....

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Re: How to Defend Christianity

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:32 pm

You should link to the book....at least the Amazon Summary.

"If you could reason with the religious, they wouldn't be religious to start with."
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Return to “The Bookshelf”