3rd world perspective

Read any good books lately?
Lausten
Persistent Poster

3rd world perspective

Postby Lausten » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:19 pm

This book describes a major shift in the relationship of the 1st and 3rd world that occurred in the middle of the last century. It does it by telling the story of one man, from his perspective, as he experienced that shift. He was a boy in an African village and was kidnapped by a French missionary and forced to go to their school. The French would train these boys to be priests who would then return to their native villages and attempt to convert more souls to Christ. First, imagine that happening today, and what the world’s reaction would be.

Compare this indoctrination to the indoctrination happening in the Madrasas today. These boys received a complete education, the actual history of France, all of the corruption and political problems. When they graduated, they were given the choice of becoming a priest or not, they were not given orders. The indoctrination was affective enough for most of them. But Malidoma was smarter than average and saw that his teachers could not make good arguments for continuing the French occupation. He saw the changes coming. He escaped back to his village and asked them teach him their traditional tribal ways.

The closest equivalents we have today are moderate Muslims. People like Majid Nawwaz who once recruited people to the cause of Islamist power. But people like that learned about Islamic history from “Westernized” “modern” means. There are no traditional villages of Muslims because that religion was born in an empire and it expanded that empire to one of the most successful in history. Islam is not some quaint indigenous culture with ideas about living in harmony with the land, it’s a defeated empire with memories of being defeated by empires that are currently expanding.

It’s recruiters have learned from the history of the colonialists. They aren’t going to teach actual history. They aren’t going to encourage democracy or equal rights or tolerance.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Re: 3rd world perspective

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:45 am

If your review is accurate, pretty stupid guy.

All empires are defeated.....so... any other relevant point to consider?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:52 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:If your review is accurate, pretty stupid guy.

What's relevant is which empire is currently not defeated and why. How else could [edit: add the word "you", meaning generically anyone] make a decision about how empires should act in the future? There's some quote about learning from the past, I'm sure you could find it using your favorite search engine.
Last edited by Lausten on Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:53 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:If your review is accurate, pretty stupid guy.

Purely out of curiosity, what from my review tells you he is stupid?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:10 am

"Purely out of curiosity, what from my review tells you he is stupid?" //// The sentence that immediately follows me calling him stupid.

whats with you Lausten? Do you go hysterically blind when not agreed with..... or what?

xxxxxxxxxx Oh well.......I'm on a roll:

What's relevant is which empire is currently not defeated and why. /// Relevant to what? Define "currently not defeated."==ie give a list. If its only the USA, we were defeated in our most current excursion: Iraq, Afghanistan. Rebuffed by a growing number of countries as China rises in Empire. The Middle East an "Empire" for their own limited purposes as long as the Oil lasts.

How else could make a decision about how empires should act in the future? /// A complete sentence really would help there. How else could who? and to what end goal? Should for what niceties that whoever applies?

There's some quote about learning from the past, I'm sure you could find it using your favorite search engine. //// "Quotes about learning from the past are uniformly useless." That one?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:15 pm

I can see you aren't serious about engaging in this conversation bobbo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:04 pm

I am totally serious Lausten. You have a whole lot of projection and denial going on at the same time. I made cogent/equal dignity comments to direct statements made by you.

You come back with nothing.

Who is being serious?

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:25 pm

Slight clarification may be in order. I'm the one saying this book is about the differences in how the "old" 1st world (i.e. post-world war Western nations) related to what we used to call the 3rd world. That relationship has changed a lot in the last 50 years, so much so that the terms are becoming out-dated. I made the comments about comparison to how those same nations are currently relating to Middle Eastern nations and political entities. Malidoma just tells his own story of how he came to know history and how the values of the West are different from the values of indigenous people.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:35 pm

Lausten wrote:The indoctrination was affective enough for most of them.

Its a fundamental problem with most, if not all primary education being conducted in this world. It's more about passing on traditions than preparing children to function as well as possible as adults. Setting up kidnapped students to work az ajents uv your empire at least makes sens from a progressiv point uv view. Whats their alternative in many areaz?

By the way - your own indoctrination wuz less than perfect. The word you meant wuz 'effective'. Its an example uv the foolishness uv the tradition that wuz forsed upon you rather than a personnal deficiency.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:25 pm

Getting spell checked by JO, that's embarrassing

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:44 am

:lol:

You owe me, man! Imajin the life derailing consequensez uv making that mistake in your PhD dezertation, essay or wudevr they callz it.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:49 am

Lausten: are you sure? It does depend on what you were meaning to say. Most people know the difference between affect and effect but don't realize that distinction changes slightly when comparing affective to effective. Add into this "affective disorder" and another line of interpretation opens up...all quite relevant to how we indoctrinate our kiddies.

IMO, regardless of what is said or intended, primary schooling is about crushing the individuality of students so that they become fungible sheep. Luckily, 5% of students have outside influence allowing them to self actualize as they will.

Return to “The Bookshelf”