What does it mean to be a "WE?"

Read any good books lately?
nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

What does it mean to be a "WE?"

Postby nmblum88 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:28 pm

Two fascinating . accessible works, both of which were hard to put down while reading, and hard to part with when finished:

Ackerman, Diane, The Human Age: The World Shaped By Us

Wilson. E.O. The Meaning of Human Existence

Truth in advertising demands that I confess to approaching everything Ed Wilson writes (or says) somewhat uncritically.. truly one of the most impressively and genuinely thoughtful scientists of our age.

Because I unapologetically love his work, his eloquence about his work (receiving a gift of an early work on ants, is responsible my buying myself (at a very advanced age) a commercial ant farm and then subsequently building a few of my own, so that I could sit for hours observing ants with my children,,,(one of the more productive and truly instructive periods of my life).

And he is also responsible for my own expanded vision of the meaning of Evolution in every aspect of human life… our very existence, as well as our possibilities as a presence here in the future.

Ackerman is relatively new to me, but she has many interesting things to say about what we have done, what we are actually responsible for in the life of our habitat, Planet Earth, and what is in our future moral structure, based on the evidence of the past…
Totally captivating writer… and anyone who enjoys the work of Elizabeth Kolbert will, without question, love this book, although their focus and and their conclusions are quite different.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: What does it mean to be a "WE?"

Postby Gord » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:07 pm

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Frank Hoffman
Poster
Custom Title: Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Re: What does it mean to be a "WE?"

Postby Frank Hoffman » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:57 pm

Gord, that was great!

Return to “The Bookshelf”