Berlin Wall 25 Years Ago

Read any good books lately?
Frank Hoffman
Poster
Custom Title: Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Berlin Wall 25 Years Ago

Postby Frank Hoffman » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:20 pm

I am reading Ms. Sarotte's book "The Collapse: The Accidental Opening of the Berlin Wall", and would just like to celebrate today the events of Nov 9th 1989. In 1982, as part of a welcome program for newly deployed US soldiers to Germany, I stood on a platform overlooking the border between the FRG (West Germany) and the GDR (East Germany). The local professor droned on about the history of the border and its effects, and then said a very strange thing: "…when Germany is reunited, we will have a lot of work bringing the economic level of the east up to what we have in the west." Had I not been taught manners by my parents I would have laughed in his face! Re-united? Look at this border! Look at the Soviet combined arms armies encamped on the other side! Are you insane? And even if the impossible happens and the Soviets let go of it, are we in the west going to LET Germany reunite? Not bloody likely! But Mary Sarotte's book tells how it happened. I am very much enjoying the read. And to the people of Germany: Congratulations and Well Done!

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Berlin Wall 25 Years Ago

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:23 pm

After spending two decades being ready to kill Communists I was very pleased to see that wall go down. I'd visited Berlin in the '70s and actually witnessed a person falling from the wall after being shot by the DDR guards.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Return to “The Bookshelf”