Will We Ever Be the Same Again?

Read any good books lately?
nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Will We Ever Be the Same Again?

Postby nmblum88 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:15 pm

Just closed the covers on the well researched, seemingly inarguable, and really depressing ""Pay Any Price: Greed, Power and Endless War" by the journalist James Risen, who argues and well, that Americans have sacrificed even our illusions of an open society, to the spurious "war on terror,"

And that the testing ground for the brainwashing was the totally corrupted (and completely failed) "war on drugs."
How easy to convince people to go against their own best interests in pursuit of a cause not only unattainable but used as a tool against us by the worst political elements in our society?
Sitting here, reading, in the omnipresent sunshine , in my beautiful garden, with the scent of Mexican mint, birds chirping, in the orange trees, , it does seem impossible to even entertain the thought that we are already laid so irretrievably low by our own hubris, and our lack of real concern for our freedoms.
And worse, that one gone, as Risen makes his case, our chance of ever recouping our privileges are gone forever.
But so Risen tells us.
And convincingly with names, dates, and (figurative) serial numbers of the individual perpetrators AND the institutions that made it so easy for such a politically destructive (and otherwise USELESS canard to be inflicted on the American people).
Although… and the gloomiest part… the American people (the "we", the "us") were so busy conforming even as we boasted the loudest of our individuality and our iconoclasm, that we not only invited the perpetrators to do their damnedest, we actually colluded in making it easy for them to destroy any semblance of personal freedom here.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: Will We Ever Be the Same Again?

Postby Gord » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:33 am

No you're all doomed. Greed has become the only motivating factor left for you. Your only hope is to surrender to Cuba and let them run your country into the ground for a few decades, then revolt, and start over from scratch.

I recommend getting someone with clear handwriting, grammar, and prose to write your next Constitution.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:34 pm

Gord wrote:No you're all doomed. Greed has become the only motivating factor left for you. Your only hope is to surrender to Cuba and let them run your country into the ground for a few decades, then revolt, and start over from scratch.

I recommend getting someone with clear handwriting, grammar, and prose to write your next Constitution.

I knew that any mention of any book would elect a cogent response from you.
And so it was.
Sometimes being right is less pleasurable than one would imagine.
A toast to being wrong!!

But back to the bookshelf: I just finished reading "Aristotle's Ethics" an elegant volume edited from the complete works of Aristotle by Jonathan Barnes and Anthony Kenny.
And no surprise! Despite the scorn for Philosophy proclaimed by the resident Barbarian contingent here, Aristotle still remains a model for how to formulate and express significant ideas from one human to another…
'Cause complaint is easy, ideas are hard.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:32 am

nmblum wrote:Sometimes being right is less pleasurable than one would imagine.
A toast to being wrong!!

All I have is candy. But cheers!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:44 am

my first post I used the expression the dark side - which got a few laughs .
FORBES 11/25/14 story --- Responding to James Risen's Pay Any Price , the AMERICAN PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION leaves the dark side .
for the real minority ; there will be no justice , there will be no peace .
makes sense 2me , so it has 2be wrong .

Hex
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: mi malam ciuj el vi

Postby Hex » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:38 am

Kind of makes you respect the old-timers a little more, doesn't it? I mean it didn't take them long to reverse prohibition. So, I guess, in this case, although no one seemingly learned from the start of prohibition, people can still learn from the end.
Spoiler:
  TOYNBEE IDEA
IN KUBRICK'S 2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwoaOJZ7Dfk

clarsct
Frequent Poster

Postby clarsct » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:25 am

OP:
No.
When Religion becomes State, and breaking the Law becomes a Sin, then Dissenters will become Heretics.

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:49 am

I tend to want to believe books like this - BUT - wiki bio about james risen mentions he co wrote an article in march of 1999 about WEN HO LEE .
WEN HO LEE later wrote a book - MY COUNTRY VERSUS ME - which I think is closer to my beliefs about how the system likes to attack and destroy individuals .
because of this incident I have to question the credibility of james risen - :burn:
also wondering why nobody looked him up on wiki ?
for the real minority ; there will be no justice , there will be no peace .
makes sense 2me , so it has 2be wrong .

Frank Hoffman
Poster
Custom Title: Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Postby Frank Hoffman » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:54 pm

No, we won’t be the same, and we were not the same before. During the course of WWII tens of thousands of Americans were detained and questioned in the search for spies… and that is NOT counting the Japanese internments. And before and during WWI there was open season on German Americans, many of whom modified their names and sold their businesses in order to keep a low profile. Many Hispanic ranchers who after the Mexican/American war found themselves and their property on the wrong side of the new border were quietly but effectively displaced. And before that… well, we know what happened to the original Americans. Our values of freedom and liberty are more often expressed in speeches than in acts. The primary difference now is the ease by which we can be monitored and herded, our only safety is in the sheer mass of data which even governments and large corporations have fits trying to organize and use. For the common man I find solace in the words of King Lear; “And we shall wear out in a walled prison, packs and sects of great ones that ebb and flow with the moon.”

Return to “The Bookshelf”