Read any good books lately?
nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Enthralling stuff by David Crystal….

Postby nmblum88 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:09 pm

This week:
"Evolving English: One Language, Many Voices,"
Followed by "Just a Phase I'm Going Through: My Life in Language"
And accompanied (always nearby) by Crystal's incomparable "Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language.."

And I owe this completely enthralling reading to JO753 of this Forum, whose introduction of Noalph into the proceedings here , and his passionate defense of his personal obsession with English spelling, reawakened my curiosity about my own language, its roots,its evolution and continual transformations , and its influence on my thinking and the thinking of my fellow English speakers…
Terrific stuff…. and the basis of many interesting and ongoing conversations with friends, family, and even non-English speakers with varying levels of language skills and education with whom I deal on a daily basis.
(As don't we all?)
And by an author with enviable style, encyclopedic interests and an inspiring talent for conveying ideas.
NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Return to “The Bookshelf”