Wit and Wonder…..

Read any good books lately?
nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Wit and Wonder…..

Postby nmblum88 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:51 pm

'The Roman Guide to Slave Management," … great, small, inventive novel that purports to me the philosophical rumination of one Marcus Sidonius Falx, elderly Roman nobleman, on the best way to busy, breed, and train one's slaves.
Flax is full of haughty advice to both those new to the care and feeding of slaves, and those who are not really good at it, either spoiling their human possessions by expecting too little of them ("they are not nearly as stupid as they pretend to be') or failing to get enough work out of the because of unnecessarily brutal management…
The author, Jerry Toner, is a serious classicist of some note, and his mixture of fact with his satiric fiction has been just delicious on a nice, leisurely summer morning…
Loved it…..

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Return to “The Bookshelf”