Seven

Sort of like "The Bookshelf" but for... you get the idea.
Lausten
Persistent Poster

Seven

Postby Lausten » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:21 pm

I know this is an old one (1995), but worth another look. Besides the somewhat obvious exposure of the problem of religion using violence to make a statement about sin, there is some great discussion between the old and young cop (Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt) about good and evil, sanity and insanity, and apathy. Like this exchange:

Somerset: You know this isn't going to have a happy ending?
Hills: We catch him, I'll be happy enough.
S: If we catch John Doe and he turns out to be the devil, I mean if he is Satan himself, that might live up to our expectations, but he's not the devil, he's just a man.
H: You know, you bitch and you complain and you tell me things, if you think you are preparing me for hard times, thank you, but...
S: But you gotta be a hero. You wanna be a champion, well let me tell you, people don't wanna champion. They want to eat cheeseburgers, play the lotto and watch television.
H: Hey, how'd you get this like this? I wanna know.
S: Well, it wasn't one thing, I can tell you that.
H: Go on.
S: I just don't think I can continue to live in a place that embraces and nurtures apathy as if it is a virtue.
H: You're no different, you're no better.
S: I didn't say I was different. I'm not. Hell, I sympathize. I sympathize completely. Apathy is a solution. I mean it's easier to lose yourself in drugs than it is to cope with life. It's easier to steal what you want than to earn it.
H: Yeah
S: It's easier to beat a child than it is to raise it. Hell, love costs, takes effort. Work.
H: We are talking about people who are mentally ill. We are talking about who are {!#%@} crazy.
S: No, we're talking about every day life here. You can't afford to be this naïve.
H: See, you should listen to yourself, you say, “The problem with people is they don't care, so I don't care about people.” That makes no sense, you know why.
S: Uh, you care?
H: You wanna know... Damn right!
S: And you're gonna make a difference.
H: Whatever. The point is, I don't think you're quitting because you believe these things you say, I think you want to believe them because you're quitting. (pause) You want me to agree with you, you want me to say “yeah, yeah, you're right, it's all {!#%@} up, it's a {!#%@} mess, we should all go live in a log cabin.” But I won't, I won't say that. I don't agree with you. I do not.
S: (just stares)
H: I can't. (finishes his drink) I'm going to go home. Thank you, though.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Re: Seven

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:19 am

Richard Proennecke had how many kids ?
why I think this world should end - has how many kids ?
for the real minority ; there will be no justice , there will be no peace .
makes sense 2me , so it has 2be wrong .

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:08 pm

psychiatry is a scam wrote:Richard Proennecke had how many kids ?

potoo.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:22 pm

psychiatry is a scam wrote:Richard Proennecke had how many kids ?

About all I get from this is that you read my blog. And apparently having children is a requirement for, something, not sure.
That I don't appreciate people reading my blog.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Return to “Film/Theater/TV/Video/Radio/Podcasts”