Coming movie: "God's Not Dead"

Sort of like "The Bookshelf" but for... you get the idea.
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: Coming movie: "God's Not Dead"

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:14 pm

:lol:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Kritikos
Poster
Custom Title: Critical tinker

Postby Kritikos » Thu May 01, 2014 7:06 pm

Wait, wait! There's more!

New Creationist Movie Is The Latest Religious Right 'Christian Persecution' Film
Submitted by Brian Tashman on Thursday, 5/1/2014 12:00 pm

Religious Right activists just can’t seem to get enough of movies about the purported persecution of Christians in America, churning out movies such as “God’s Not Dead,” “Uncommon” and “Persecuted.”

Answers In Genesis, the Young Earth Creationist group behind the Creation Museum, released a trailer yesterday for its very own persecution tale, “A Matter of Faith.”

The movie appears to center around a father who is upset that his daughter’s college biology professor isn’t giving equal time to “biblical Creation as a plausible alternative” to evolution. Like in “God’s Not Dead” — in which a student debates an atheist professor played by Kevin Sorbo — the worried father ends up debating the biology professor in a fight for his daughter’s soul.

The preview runs along happily until there's a "BOOM!" and the screen goes dark for a moment, after which we see the girl's father saying with grave urgency, referring to the professor teaching the biology class that his daughter is taking: "The guy's an evolutionist, and there's nothing in the whole curriculum about Biblical creation as even a plausible alternative!"

OH, NO!!

Later, we see the girl saying plaintively: "Do you know how embarrassing this is going to be for me?"

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Fri May 02, 2014 7:03 pm

A-number wrote:
Thatsalottafish wrote:"God does NOT exist, Never ever, ever has there been evidence that he exists!!, also he is mean, he's a jerk!" -Atheist professor dialogue in religious movies.

I am strictly being clinical here, if he is mean and a jerk, how could he have never existed and vis versa? I am attacking the stupidity of the script writer.

I can't believe I wasted my time discussing anything with her.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

CarlFSM

Postby CarlFSM » Fri May 16, 2014 3:37 pm

A-number wrote:It really is class c or d type of movie, I didn't see anything good about it to the exception of the song at the very end, as I am Christian Rock fan. I am sorry, I didn't know it was that 'important' to you.

You did not spoil the movie, the real kicker came right after that, when...
Spoiler:
he died and his cell phone texted back "God is NOT dead!"

I knew he would look, was I wrong?

CarlFSM

Postby CarlFSM » Fri May 16, 2014 3:47 pm

Kritikos wrote:I do wonder what sort of audience the film is aimed at. Is it supposed to win converts?

I don't think it was intended to win converts, but rather keep the college bound kids from coming home atheists.
It tells the kids if they dig in their heels, stick their fingers in their ears and say "la la la laaaa" they will not have to deconvert to atheism. In other words, it is possible to be an intellectually fulfilled theist.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Sun May 18, 2014 10:24 pm

A-number wrote:
Thatsalottafish wrote:"God does NOT exist, Never ever, ever has there been evidence that he exists!!, also he is mean, he's a jerk!" -Atheist professor dialogue in religious movies.

I am strictly being clinical here, if he is mean and a jerk, how could he have never existed and vis versa? I am attacking the stupidity of the script writer.

Thatsalottafish was being silly.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

andrewrk

Postby andrewrk » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:59 am

Hello everyone. I thought I might drop in and say that I have published part 1 of a "debunking" video series about God's Not Dead. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgGAjsXBwY4

This is the first atheism vid I've created so don't expect much, but if you've seen the movie you might enjoy watching it get torn apart.

Dr-Pen

Postby Dr-Pen » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:36 am

Isn't this whole movie based on some copy and paste story about Einstein's encounter with an atheist professor, and wasn't there a point by point rebuttal of that on the old JREF forums? I've been struggling to find that but no luck. Something along the lines of, "if He can dictate good and evil, what's to stop him from dictating what is heaven or hell, bliss or torment?" Any ideas?

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:49 pm

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:51 pm

Dr-Pen wrote:Isn't this whole movie based on some copy and paste story about Einstein's encounter with an atheist professor, and wasn't there a point by point rebuttal of that on the old JREF forums? I've been struggling to find that but no luck. Something along the lines of, "if He can dictate good and evil, what's to stop him from dictating what is heaven or hell, bliss or torment?" Any ideas?

On the first page of this thread, you can see a discussion of some urban myths that resemble the premise of this movie.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:55 pm

andrewrk wrote:Hello everyone. I thought I might drop in and say that I have published part 1 of a "debunking" video series about God's Not Dead. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgGAjsXBwY4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the first atheism vid I've created so don't expect much, but if you've seen the movie you might enjoy watching it get torn apart.

Your video got a lot of thumbs down. That's unusual for an atheist video.

I'll watch your thing sometime soon.

Dr-Pen

Postby Dr-Pen » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:56 pm

Monster wrote:
Dr-Pen wrote:Isn't this whole movie based on some copy and paste story about Einstein's encounter with an atheist professor, and wasn't there a point by point rebuttal of that on the old JREF forums? I've been struggling to find that but no luck. Something along the lines of, "if He can dictate good and evil, what's to stop him from dictating what is heaven or hell, bliss or torment?" Any ideas?

On the first page of this thread, you can see a discussion of some urban myths that resemble the premise of this movie.

Yeah, but there was a sort of point by point rebuttal out there. There's a lot of links here and I'm not sure if that one in particular was mentioned.

Return to “Film/Theater/TV/Video/Radio/Podcasts”