Coming movie: "God's Not Dead"

Sort of like "The Bookshelf" but for... you get the idea.
Kritikos
Poster
Custom Title: Critical tinker

Coming movie: "God's Not Dead"

Postby Kritikos » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:41 pm

Unfortunately, we have to wait till spring of 2014 to see it; but a preview is available on the movie's Web site, which also offers this synopsis:

God's Not Dead is a new Christian film about faith and the limits one young man will go to in order to defend his belief in God. Josh Wheaton (Shane Harper), a freshman college student, enrolls in a philosophy class taught by an infamous and dictatorial professor. Dr. Radisson (Kevin Sorbo) demands that all of his students must sign a declaration that "God is dead" in order to get a passing grade. Josh refuses. But, he needs to take this class to meet his academic requirements. And so the professor strikes a bargain: Josh must defend his position that "God is alive" in a series of debates with him in order to stay in the class. If he loses, he flunks. When Josh accepts the challenge, he gets more than he bargained for -- jeopardizing his faith, his relationships and even his future.

Take that, you elitist college-edjumacated atheists!

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Re: Coming movie: "God's Not Dead"

Postby Austin Harper » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:14 pm

Is this supposed to be a state-funded college? Because if so the whole premise is BS.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Kritikos
Poster

Postby Kritikos » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:53 pm

The premise that a college instructor in philosophy would make acceptance of his position on some issue a condition of success in his course is complete BS for a college of any kind. Either the makers of the movie have no idea what philosophy is as a subject of instruction in higher education or they know fully well that they are misrepresenting it but calculate that the misrepresentation will appeal to the audience at which they are aiming—which, I presume, consists of people who either have no acquaintance with higher education or whose knowledge of it comes solely through evangelical institutions, such as the one after which the protagonist is unsubtly named.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:56 pm

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... -this-one/

If an Anti-Atheist Story on Snopes Were Made Into a Film, It’d Be This One

Yuuuup!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:07 pm

Goebbels would be so proud.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Kritikos
Poster

Postby Kritikos » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:18 pm

Gord wrote:http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/09/10/if-an-anti-atheist-story-on-snopes-were-made-into-a-film-itd-be-this-one/

If an Anti-Atheist Story on Snopes Were Made Into a Film, It’d Be This One

Yuuuup!

Thanks, Gord. One of the comments even provides a link to a specific item on Snopes that corresponds to the movie pretty closely.

Also found this among the comments:

For those of you who come to the conclusion that Science disproves god, go read up and educate yourselves. I suggest Darwins black box by biochemist Micheal Behe, The Language of God by Former Director of the Human Genome Project, elite geneticist Francis Collins and double phd MIT trained planetary sciences and nuclear chemist Gerald Schroeders book genesis and the big bang.

Just remember: "Behe" rhymes with "Tee-hee."

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:31 pm

Kritikos wrote:Just remember: "Behe" rhymes with "Tee-hee."

Dang! I've been rhyming it with "maybe" in all my songs!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:56 pm

Well, I don't have much to add to this thread. The movie is clearly silly. I'm listening to the trailer and it's nonsensical.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:40 pm

Sounds like a Chick Tract made into a movie. Actually a local theatre group did that a few years ago. They used the exact dialog and stayed as close to the story as they could. It was pretty entertaining.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Kritikos
Poster

Postby Kritikos » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:47 pm

I do wonder what sort of audience the film is aimed at. Is it supposed to win converts? I don't see how anyone who has not already bought into evangelical Christianity could find the premise believable. On the other hand, maybe there are enough gullible people among the not-yet-born-again to give the movie a chance of bringing some of them into the fold. Or maybe the makers of the movie don't aspire to win converts and are content just to provide the faithful with entertainment for which they will pay money.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:13 am

I think it's to reassure those faithful who are feeling pressured by reality (by which I mean the facts about evolution et al). If the movie can convince just one believer that its message isn't complete BS, then someone somewhere will it was worth it!
#ANDAMOVIE

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Postby Daedalus » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:01 am

Gord wrote:I think it's to reassure those faithful who are feeling pressured by reality (by which I mean the facts about evolution et al). If the movie can convince just one believer that its message isn't complete BS, then someone somewhere will it was worth it!

Exactly... this kind of thing can't be understood in isolation, but only as part of a larger echo chamber for beliefs that people already hold.

For the religious, it's like Infowars is to a conspiracist, or David Icke's site is to people who believe in 8th dimensional lizards. It's something that will never challenge your beliefs, only reinforce them, and remind you that you're not alone in your delusions, but part of a whole {!#%@} CULTURE.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

Kritikos
Poster

Postby Kritikos » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:06 am

Thanks, Gord and Daedalus. Your explanation sounds very plausible to me.

Kaepora Gaebora
Regular Poster

Postby Kaepora Gaebora » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:10 am

The whole premise of the movie is flawed in the first place. It assumes a professor would be pressing atheism on students which would end up with any professor being fired, and the phrase, "God is Dead," is Nietzsche stating the disillusionment with the church and movement away from strict theology. In any case, a professor parading this as the main part of their course is not deserving of any position at a university.

Quite the misrepresentation of intellectual arguments.

Kritikos
Poster

Postby Kritikos » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:28 am

Kaepora Gaebora wrote:The whole premise of the movie is flawed in the first place. It assumes a professor would be pressing atheism on students which would end up with any professor being fired, and the phrase, "God is Dead," is Nietzsche stating the disillusionment with the church and movement away from strict theology. In any case, a professor parading this as the main part of their course is not deserving of any position at a university.

Quite the misrepresentation of intellectual arguments.

Looks like a case of projection: they cannot conceive of a mode of instruction that is not indoctrination.

Well, it's that and the belief that no one could arrive at atheism by the mere exercise of critical rationality: it can only be driven by resentment toward God!

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster

Postby Austin Harper » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:15 pm

Kaepora Gaebora wrote:Quite the misrepresentation of intellectual arguments.

What?! Intellecutual dishonesty from Christian fundamentalists?

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

I follow a progressive pastor’s blog, Tony Jones. Recently he was discussing how philosophy and religion are related. He led me to this article about a couple professors who “resigned” after suggesting books other than the Bible have value. http://chronicle.com/article/Christian-College-Sheds/36752/. He also told a story but couldn’t name names of a chair of a philosophy dept in a “prominent” Christian college. This guy had been called into the president’s office 3 times over the course of 10 years, and was asked, “Why do so many philosophy majors lose their faith at our college? What are you doing wrong, and how can you fix it?”
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Kritikos
Poster

Postby Kritikos » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:26 pm

Lausten wrote:I follow a progressive pastor’s blog, Tony Jones. Recently he was discussing how philosophy and religion are related. He led me to this article about a couple professors who “resigned” after suggesting books other than the Bible have value. http://chronicle.com/article/Christian-College-Sheds/36752/. He also told a story but couldn’t name names of a chair of a philosophy dept in a “prominent” Christian college. This guy had been called into the president’s office 3 times over the course of 10 years, and was asked, “Why do so many philosophy majors lose their faith at our college? What are you doing wrong, and how can you fix it?”

Fundamentalists are so cute when they play "college." Patrick Henry College, I find, has a major in "classical liberal arts," within which there is a "philosophy track." The objectives of the philosophy track include learning to "develop a Biblical view of the unity of knowledge across the various disciplines of the liberal arts" and to "articulate a thoughtful understanding of the intersection of philosophical positions, both historical and contemporary, with a biblical understanding of reality" (college catalog, p. 45).

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:58 pm

Lausten wrote:...a couple professors who “resigned” after suggesting books other than the Bible have value. http://chronicle.com/article/Christian-College-Sheds/36752/....

Both professors resigned shortly after the article was published, according to Leesburg Today, a local newspaper. The paper quotes the college’s president as acknowledging that the professors’ article had prompted an “exchange of ideas.” Two other professors also resigned at the same time.

They lost 4 profs at once. That's pretty conservative! :lol:
#ANDAMOVIE

Kritikos
Poster

Postby Kritikos » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:55 pm

Daniel Fincke, a philosophy professor, comments on the movie trailer at Camels with Hammers:

It’s fascinating to see the Christian persecution complex project onto the screen a bizarro world of inverted reality. The philosophy classroom, which, outside of religious fearmongering, represents intellectual awakening, open-ended speculation, and personal liberation for so many is feared like the Roman coliseum. It represents tyranny and death to people like them. Why? Because for depressingly many Christians anyone who dares to apply the same standards of rigorous analysis to Christian beliefs that they would apply to any other truth claims about the world is trying to hurt them personally as Christians. Because it is so hard for them to separate their beliefs from their identity, anyone challenging their beliefs is challenging them as a person. They are their beliefs. There is no separation between heart and mind and person possible. . . .

If we want to show a place where people are just told to believe and not ask questions, can we make it the place where that actually happens—the church–and not the place where all that training in fear and mental subservience is systematically undermined–the philosophy classroom?

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:27 am

In my first year philosophy class, in the midst of one of the first lectures, a student in the back of the room sprang up and began lamenting how the professor was telling him there was no God. (Note: That's nothing even closely related to what the professor was talking about at the time.) He must have been hearing things very differently from the rest of the class, but whatever it was he was hearing, it struck him so deeply that he just had to burst out with his brief and barely articulate anti-anti-God rant, declare that he was going to complain about the professor officially, and then storm out of the classroom never to return.

The prof, shocked by the suddenness and unexpectedness of it all, nevertheless shook his head in disbelief and declared, "There's one every year."
#ANDAMOVIE

Kaepora Gaebora
Regular Poster

Postby Kaepora Gaebora » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:14 pm

Gord wrote:In my first year philosophy class, in the midst of one of the first lectures, a student in the back of the room sprang up and began lamenting how the professor was telling him there was no God. (Note: That's nothing even closely related to what the professor was talking about at the time.) He must have been hearing things very differently from the rest of the class, but whatever it was he was hearing, it struck him so deeply that he just had to burst out with his brief and barely articulate anti-anti-God rant, declare that he was going to complain about the professor officially, and then storm out of the classroom never to return.

The prof, shocked by the suddenness and unexpectedness of it all, nevertheless shook his head in disbelief and declared, "There's one every year."

It's funny how somehow philosophy is perceived as a threat when it can be the most God-friendly subject if you wrap your head in the BS. However, if you're actually thinking during philosophy classes, it may seem challenging because it's your own thoughts that challenge your beliefs, not the professor.

Kritikos
Poster

Postby Kritikos » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:25 am

Dan Fincke has posted what has to be an exhaustive discussion of the movie—at any rate, an extremely long post on it—on his blog Camels with Hammers. It is aimed at the people who might be credulous toward the movie.

The reason I wrote so much is because I hope that there are some Christians out there who really genuinely want to understand whether common evangelical Christian ways of thinking hold up philosophically and whether philosophy is really like what’s shown in the movie God’s Not Dead. . . .

So I am writing this post for the Christian who wants to know, in-depth, what a real live atheist philosophy professor, with a PhD in philosophy and 93 classes taught at the university level, thought of the worldview in God’s Not Dead. And I write as someone who also identified with Josh Wheaton. Few characters in film capture what I was like at 18 so closely. So, I write as a former Josh Wheaton to write to all you current or new Josh Wheatons out there to explain in extensive detail what’s wrong with what this movie is telling you.

Sample section heading: "Demanding Philosophical Reasons For Religious Beliefs Is Not Religious Persecution."

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:02 pm

Thanks for the link Kritikos. This is coming to my little town, so I guess I'll have to pay to see it so people won't pull the "you didn't see so you can't comment" argument on me. When the trailers came out I figured it would be one of those things that only people who read atheist blogs or are staunch evangelicals would hear about it. No such luck.

Kritikos
Poster

Postby Kritikos » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:24 pm

Lausten wrote:Thanks for the link Kritikos. This is coming to my little town, so I guess I'll have to pay to see it so people won't pull the "you didn't see so you can't comment" argument on me. When the trailers came out I figured it would be one of those things that only people who read atheist blogs or are staunch evangelicals would hear about it. No such luck.

That's brave of you. Don't get burned by the Stupid. I would never watch this movie without access to a "fast forward" option.

Kritikos
Poster

Postby Kritikos » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:39 pm

A-number wrote:...Now I am going back in to watch "Noah" with Russell Crowe,....that I kind of reaaally like :mrgreen: LOL.

After Bill Maher's review, who could resist? "Hey, God, you know you’re kind of a dick when you’re in a movie with Russell Crowe, and you’re the one with anger issues."

[Corrected spelling and punctuation in quotation.]
Last edited by Kritikos on Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:21 pm

A-number wrote:having the atheist professor get hit by a car at the end of the movie.

What! That's an idiotic ending! That reminds me of that Fox "comedy" show, the Half Hour News Hour or something, where a bunch of atheists were killed by freak mishaps while they were being interviewed by Christians. It is literally saying that god murders you if you don't believe he exists.

Kritikos
Poster

Postby Kritikos » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:45 pm

Monster wrote:
A-number wrote:having the atheist professor get hit by a car at the end of the movie.

What! That's an idiotic ending! That reminds me of that Fox "comedy" show, the Half Hour News Hour or something, where a bunch of atheists were killed by freak mishaps while they were being interviewed by Christians. It is literally saying that god murders you if you don't believe he exists.

Well, thanks for SPOILING THE MOVIE for me! :x

( :roll: )

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:21 pm

A-number wrote:
Monster wrote:

Yes Siiir, that's what happened. And you're right, that's what they seem to imply.

God is not a monkey that anyone can control, if He were as these stupid cons are desperately struggling to make believe, then He wouldn't be God and none of us would be.

Can you tell me more about that show? I want to see if I can find it and watch it. txs :P .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o_3UIhK-Pw

Kritikos
Poster

Postby Kritikos » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:41 pm

A-number wrote:
Kritikos wrote:Well, thanks for SPOILING THE MOVIE for me! :x

( :roll: )

It really is class c or d type of movie, I didn't see anything good about it to the exception of the song at the very end, as I am Christian Rock fan. I am sorry, I didn't know it was that 'important' to you.

I expected my inclusion of "( :roll: )" at the end of my message to be an unmistakable indication of facetious intent, but apparently not.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:06 pm

Wow, that was weird. It was almost a good movie as it developed the overlapping lives the characters for the first half hour. The acting and editing were low rent, but anyway. There was a point where the movie could have gone a completely different direction. Right after the scene where the internet reporter interviews Robertson, and he responds with a verse about "acknowledging" God, we meet the father of a Muslim girl who is questioning Islam. The father tells her she must wear the burqa because it is God's way. But I don't think they intended for anyone to see a parallel there.

Soon after that we get the first lecture from the hero Josh who goes straight to the prime mover argument. The professor counters with a quote from Hawking stating God is not necessary. Josh can't answer the challenge and has to say, "I don't know". Which of course is the right answer, but you wouldn't know that from the professor's reaction. We are stuck with a view of a 13.7 billion year horizon and nothing but cosmic background radiation in all directions. We don't know. This is what you would discuss in a freshman philosophy class. Apparently the professor didn't read the first day's assignment, The Problem of Induction.

After that, things go down hill. We find out the professor hates God and is a horrible husband and a wine snob and that if you pray, your car will start. The case for God is never really made, just that life is a little better if you believe and apparently everyone who doesn't believe is a total jerk. The end, with everyone celebrating at the concert while outside in the rain, the professor accepts Jesus before dying is about as creepy as creepy can get.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:59 am

A-number wrote:
Lausten wrote: ... Right after the scene where the internet reporter interviews Robertson, and he responds with a verse about "acknowledging" God, we meet the father of a Muslim girl who is questioning Islam. The father tells her she must wear the burqa because it is God's way. But I don't think they intended for anyone to see a parallel there.

As I just said above: I am an idiot :mrgreen: .

Can you tell me which parallel they did not intend for anyone to see? Do you mean, right after one acknowledge God, next, someone is questioning it, as Muslims and Christians worship the same God in essence? ...Oh I sure hope you don't have me on ignore :P .

The parallel is that both Robertson and the Muslim father justify their actions based on the word of God/Allah. Robertson just asks everyone to tweet and the Muslim father beats his daughter, so the parallel ends there, but for me it just shows how people use holy books to justify whatever they want.

Thatsalottafish

Postby Thatsalottafish » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:23 am

I really want to rent this when it comes to Netflix, but only to see Kevin Sorbo as the mustache twirling, super duper scary Atheist. I remember a lot of films from my Christian school days, would have the Atheist professor villain type, who would say things like, (read this in a really snobby accent) "If your precious GOD exists, Then why do bad things happen?" or "Philosophers have proven with 100% accuracy, that God does not exist!" I took college a philosophy class, and at no time was the point of the class to convince all the Christians that they are wrong.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:58 pm

Thatsalottafish wrote: I took college a philosophy class, and at no time was the point of the class to convince all the Christians that they are wrong.

The problem with philosophy classes is that they encourage people to think, and are ipso facto a tool of Satan.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:07 pm

A-number wrote: :lol: . Kevin did not have a mustache thank whoever for that.

Thank Sorbo!
#ANDAMOVIE

JThornedyke

Postby JThornedyke » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:53 pm

In order for a god to be "dead"...or die, as it were, the god had to be alive - or exist - in the first place. As an atheist, a god never has existed or been alive.
So...whence comes "dead"???

Kritikos
Poster

Postby Kritikos » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:47 pm

JThornedyke wrote:In order for a god to be "dead"...or die, as it were, the god had to be alive - or exist - in the first place. As an atheist, a god never has existed or been alive.

Perhaps you have heard of this guy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Nietzsche

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:08 pm

JThornedyke wrote:In order for a god to be "dead"...or die, as it were, the god had to be alive - or exist - in the first place. As an atheist, a god never has existed or been alive.

Since God was only ever a concept in the first place, the conceptualization of God as a living being who is currently acting in the world, or has ever acted on the world, is dead. Unless you want to limit the use of the word "dead" to things that exist and were alive at some point, but that's not in line with the actual use of the word.

Thatsalottafish

Postby Thatsalottafish » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:57 pm

"God does NOT exist, Never ever, ever has there been evidence that he exists!!, also he is mean, he's a jerk!" -Atheist professor dialogue in religious movies.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster

Postby Austin Harper » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:05 pm

Thatsalottafish wrote:I really want to rent this when it comes to Netflix, but only to see Kevin Sorbo as the mustache twirling, super duper scary Atheist.

Sorbo.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Film/Theater/TV/Video/Radio/Podcasts”