Arrival

Sort of like "The Bookshelf" but for... you get the idea.
Lausten
Persistent Poster

Arrival

Postby Lausten » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:33 am

Saw it. Pretty good. No weird pseudo-religious message. The science was plausible. The portrayal of the media reaction was excellent. The military characters actually had some depth to them. Not bad.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Re: Arrival

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:37 am

Lausten wrote:Saw it. Pretty good. No weird pseudo-religious message. The science was plausible. The portrayal of the media reaction was excellent. The military characters actually had some depth to them. Not bad.

I'm looking forward to seeing Arrival. I believe it goes into the complexity of communication with aliens which interests me.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:57 am

If we can learn to communicate with aliens it may give us a clue as to how to communicate with Republicans.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Cadmusteeth
Regular Poster

Postby Cadmusteeth » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:24 am

I think if you want to talk them, you need to think in terms of what their concerns are. Complicated since even republicans are on a spectrum.
I digress though.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:32 pm

Cadmusteeth wrote:I think if you want to talk them, you need to think in terms of what their concerns are. Complicated since even republicans are on a spectrum.
I digress though.

I haven't see one that wasn't all about the money.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:21 pm

Lausten wrote:Saw it. Pretty good. No weird pseudo-religious message. The science was plausible. The portrayal of the media reaction was excellent. The military characters actually had some depth to them. Not bad.

Sadly, time travel woo was used to explain how Amy Adams could stop the Chinese from attacking. So, for me, the movie turned from plausible alien contact story to magic silliness. I still like magic silliness, but it was disappointing for me, since I was under the false impression that this was a hard sci-fi movie.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:07 pm

Monster wrote:

Sadly, time travel woo was used to explain how Amy Adams could stop the Chinese from attacking. So, for me, the movie turned from plausible alien contact story to magic silliness. I still like magic silliness, but it was disappointing for me, since I was under the false impression that this was a hard sci-fi movie.

The connection though was that by learning the language, you learned their understanding of time, and if you learned their understanding of time, you understood that you can have "memories" of the future. Maybe you are not aware of the "hard" science that time may not be the linear thing that we now understand it to be.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:09 pm

Lausten wrote:
Monster wrote:

The connection though was that by learning the language, you learned their understanding of time, and if you learned their understanding of time, you understood that you can have "memories" of the future. Maybe you are not aware of the "hard" science that time may not be the linear thing that we now understand it to be.

In the movie it appeared that they were THERE, not just remembering. "I know why my husband left me!"

Return to “Film/Theater/TV/Video/Radio/Podcasts”