When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 541
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:43 pm

LunaNik wrote:
LunaNik wrote:
Thank you for clarifying your distinction. Also, where exactly did Jesus say, "Thou shalt picketh and chooseth the laws of Man thou feeleth are worthy to obey?" I don't recall that directive.
.


That is because you do not know your bible.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 Test all things; hold fast what is good.

Regards
DL

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29477
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Gord » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:04 am

LunaNik wrote:The very idea of religion is supernatural in nature.

I wish it were that simple, but: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definition_of_religion

The definition of religion is a controversial subject in religious studies. Some scholars define "religion" as a cultural system of behaviors and practices, others as a "comprehensive worldview" or a "moral community called a church". Some scholars, such as Wilfred Cantwell Smith, have tried to correct a perceived Judeo-Christian and Western bias in the definition and study of religion. Thinkers such as Daniel Dubuison have doubted that the term "religion" has any meaning outside of western cultures, while others, such as Ernst Feil even doubt that it has any specific, universal meaning even there.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19798
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:12 am

Religion is based on magic. It's no harder than this.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Phoenix76
Poster
Posts: 352
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:16 am
Custom Title: Phoenix76
Location: Qld, Australia

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Phoenix76 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:44 am

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Phoenix76 wrote:[

Yes going through the gestures, it does offer respect to friends and acquaintances, and I believe that is right.


Why shoe respect for religions that do not deserve them? Is that not being hypocritical?

I am working on a new O.P. Please have a quick look at what you are saying you offer respect to and I extrapolate you think we should respect as well.

---------------

Yahweh. Obey like a slave. Allah. Submit like a slave. Do you see a difference?

I find it strange that all-powerful Gods have a need or want of slaves, but if slavery is all that Christians and Muslims aspire to after death, I am sure glad I am a Gnostic Christian and see Jesus as not being of the same ilk as Christian and Muslim slave aspirers. Jesus said he came to serve man but I guess that he is not like his father. Thank God for that. –;)

In the arena of cultural evolution, the secular and humanist West has decided that Jesus wins the God Wars. Christians have gone along with revering the nice (sort of) God, Jesus, instead of his poor satanic father.

If Muslims do not also go along with that archetypal prophet and savior Jesus, as being more authoritative than Muhammad, they will not survive and the religion will die.

This is inevitable as the world will not allow open religious slavery, --- which is what Muslim and Christian ideologies promote.

No?

On Muslim slavery. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUOSIhg86oc
On archetypal Jesus. https://clyp.it/lqeu3cku

---------

Phoenix76

Why do you show respect for immoral religions?

Regards
DL


Well my learned friend, perhaps you should read what I have written before you state "Why shoe(?) respect for religions that do not deserve them(?)? Is that not being hypocritical?"

I simply said I was showing respect to friends and acquaintances. Nowhere do I suggest respect for any religion whatsoever. And whilst I might disagree with the beliefs of my friends and acquaintances, I respect their right to so believe. Just as I disagree with your apparent stated belief of Gnostic Christianity, but respect your right of such belief.

I always try to respect the person, although that can be very difficult at times - and I have failed at times. However I will criticize their beliefs should I feel the need - and I don't always feel that need. I think we call it "common decency and respect".

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 541
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:10 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Religion is based on magic. It's no harder than this.


That word is just a synonym for the supernatural. No?

But I agree that the idol worshiping ones are filled with magic and the supernatural.

Not the knowledge and wisdom seeking ones.

Regards
DL

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11138
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:19 pm

My own definition of religion flows from my definition of "having a relationship with God." That relationship is PRIVATE.....and ONE ON ONE. And provides all the benefits of the God in question. When one takes that personal, private, one on one, silent relationship and communicates any of it to anyone else: THAT is Politics.

So......religion is politics having little to nothing to do with anyone's god belief/relationship.

Yeah, I know, the vocabulary for what I'm saying has not been honed down to any set of one words. But I think it is still true.... highlighting what is wrong with most of most religions: the politics of it all..........all having nothing to do with God.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19798
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:45 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Religion is based on magic. It's no harder than this.


That word is just a synonym for the supernatural. No?

But I agree that the idol worshiping ones are filled with magic and the supernatural.

Not the knowledge and wisdom seeking ones.

Regards
DL

You should look up words you don't {!#%@} know before using them.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11138
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:00 pm

Gee, I thought the two terms were close enough? So I used free Webword:

supernatural: Not existing in nature or subject to explanation according to natural laws; not physical or material
magic: Any art that invokes supernatural powers

Ummmm..... so the significant different between the two is..................what?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 541
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:15 pm

Phoenix76 wrote:[

I always try to respect the person, although that can be very difficult at times - and I have failed at times. However I will criticize their beliefs should I feel the need - and I don't always feel that need. I think we call it "common decency and respect".


Giving common decency and respect to religions that do not deserve it, especially slave owning cults, shows indecency and disrespect to all those who are against slavery and cherish freedom.

No decent person will respect slave owners.

Regards
DL

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 541
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:18 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:My own definition of religion flows from my definition of "having a relationship with God." That relationship is PRIVATE.....and ONE ON ONE. And provides all the benefits of the God in question. When one takes that personal, private, one on one, silent relationship and communicates any of it to anyone else: THAT is Politics.

So......religion is politics having little to nothing to do with anyone's god belief/relationship.

Yeah, I know, the vocabulary for what I'm saying has not been honed down to any set of one words. But I think it is still true.... highlighting what is wrong with most of most religions: the politics of it all..........all having nothing to do with God.


Oh my. Someone who actually knows what Jesus meant when he said that we should closet ourselves to pray.

I see you as a guy that could be a Gnostic Christian.

Regards
DL

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 541
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:19 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Religion is based on magic. It's no harder than this.


That word is just a synonym for the supernatural. No?

But I agree that the idol worshiping ones are filled with magic and the supernatural.

Not the knowledge and wisdom seeking ones.

Regards
DL

You should look up words you don't {!#%@} know before using them.


No refute on synonym. Good.

Regards
DL

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 541
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:21 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Gee, I thought the two terms were close enough? So I used free Webword:

supernatural: Not existing in nature or subject to explanation according to natural laws; not physical or material
magic: Any art that invokes supernatural powers

Ummmm..... so the significant different between the two is..................what?


Our friend does not know what a synonym is.

Regards
DL

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19798
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:30 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Religion is based on magic. It's no harder than this.


That word is just a synonym for the supernatural. No?

But I agree that the idol worshiping ones are filled with magic and the supernatural.

Not the knowledge and wisdom seeking ones.

Regards
DL

You should look up words you don't {!#%@} know before using them.


No refute on synonym. Good.

Regards
DL

You edited your post, but not my quote of the original. Then you went full-bore stupid and tried to claim the high ground. Did your parents have any children that lived?

Did you have parents?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Nikki Nyx » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:30 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
LunaNik wrote:
LunaNik wrote:
Thank you for clarifying your distinction. Also, where exactly did Jesus say, "Thou shalt picketh and chooseth the laws of Man thou feeleth are worthy to obey?" I don't recall that directive.
.


That is because you do not know your bible.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 Test all things; hold fast what is good.

Regards
DL

LOL. Apparently, you don't know your Bible. That's not a teaching of Jesus; that's one of Paul's. And if you subscribe to Paul's ideologies, there are more specific ones regarding secular laws.
1 Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except by God’s appointment, and the authorities that exist have been instituted by God. 2 So the person who resists such authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will incur judgment 3 (for rulers cause no fear for good conduct but for bad). Do you desire not to fear authority? Do good and you will receive its commendation, 4 for it is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be in fear, for it does not bear the sword in vain. It is God’s servant to administer retribution on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore it is necessary to be in subjection, not only because of the wrath of the authorities but also because of your conscience.
—Romans 13:1-5

Or, if you prefer:
1 Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work.
—Titus 3:1

Perhaps you'd prefer Peter's thoughts on the subject:
13 Be subject to every human institution for the Lord’s sake, whether to a king as supreme 14 or to governors as those he commissions to punish wrongdoers and praise those who do good.
—1 Peter 2:13-17
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11138
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:33 pm

"..........♫..... being a Pendant can be fun......"
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7642
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby TJrandom » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:05 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:You see, just acting like the run of the mill holiday and Sunday morning faithful.


Yes... and no different than when in my garden and decide to take a piss - quieltly, without disrupting the surrounding ongoings.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Nikki Nyx » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:08 pm

Gord wrote:
LunaNik wrote:The very idea of religion is supernatural in nature.

I wish it were that simple, but: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definition_of_religion

The definition of religion is a controversial subject in religious studies. Some scholars define "religion" as a cultural system of behaviors and practices, others as a "comprehensive worldview" or a "moral community called a church". Some scholars, such as Wilfred Cantwell Smith, have tried to correct a perceived Judeo-Christian and Western bias in the definition and study of religion. Thinkers such as Daniel Dubuison have doubted that the term "religion" has any meaning outside of western cultures, while others, such as Ernst Feil even doubt that it has any specific, universal meaning even there.

Does this mean they can't agree to define what they're studying? :wgrin:

The definition may be controversial amongst religious scholars, but other disciplines don't appear to have any controversy in defining "religion." Anthropologists, for example, define it as "a set of attitudes, beliefs, and practices pertaining to supernatural power." Oxford has no issues defining it and separating it from both spirituality and philosophy.
religion: The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods. A particular system of faith and worship.

spirituality: The quality of being concerned with the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.

philosophy: The study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence, especially when considered as an academic discipline.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 541
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:53 pm

LunaNik wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
LunaNik wrote:
LunaNik wrote:
Thank you for clarifying your distinction. Also, where exactly did Jesus say, "Thou shalt picketh and chooseth the laws of Man thou feeleth are worthy to obey?" I don't recall that directive.
.


That is because you do not know your bible.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 Test all things; hold fast what is good.

Regards
DL

LOL. Apparently, you don't know your Bible. That's not a teaching of Jesus; that's one of Paul's. And if you subscribe to Paul's ideologies, there are more specific ones regarding secular laws.
1 Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except by God’s appointment, and the authorities that exist have been instituted by God. 2 So the person who resists such authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will incur judgment 3 (for rulers cause no fear for good conduct but for bad). Do you desire not to fear authority? Do good and you will receive its commendation, 4 for it is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be in fear, for it does not bear the sword in vain. It is God’s servant to administer retribution on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore it is necessary to be in subjection, not only because of the wrath of the authorities but also because of your conscience.
—Romans 13:1-5

Or, if you prefer:
1 Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work.
—Titus 3:1

Perhaps you'd prefer Peter's thoughts on the subject:
13 Be subject to every human institution for the Lord’s sake, whether to a king as supreme 14 or to governors as those he commissions to punish wrongdoers and praise those who do good.
—1 Peter 2:13-17


I am a Gnostic Christian and we naturally disrespect the organizations created for social manipulation and control, like religions and governments. I naturally lean towards the self-thinking wisdom of scriptures as compared to the quotes you put that advise what is only good for brain dead sheeple who want to be led around by the nose.

That is not to say that if the advice or laws of those control organizations are good, I would ignore them. If I agree with them then I accept them. If I do not agree, I fight them.

Regards
DL

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7642
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby TJrandom » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote: ... I naturally lean towards the self-thinking wisdom of scriptures ...


Self-thinking wisdom of scriptures? Scriptures think? Who knew? :roll:

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19798
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:36 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote: ... I naturally lean towards the self-thinking wisdom of scriptures ...


Self-thinking wisdom of scriptures? Scriptures think? Who knew? :roll:

They think more and better than Gnasty Buttship.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts
Posts: 6001
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:09 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Flash » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:31 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
... I naturally lean towards the self-thinking wisdom of scriptures ...

Yeap, the wise scriptures written by people who were too stupid to invent underwear and thought that lightening was caused by angry gods.
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19798
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:33 pm

Flash wrote:Gnostic Bishop wrote:
... I naturally lean towards the self-thinking wisdom of scriptures ...

Yeap, the wise scriptures written by people who were too stupid to invent underwear and thought that lightening was caused by angry gods.

Yep, Gnostic Bishop's intellectual superiors. ;)
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29477
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Gord » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:40 am

LunaNik wrote:
Gord wrote:
LunaNik wrote:The very idea of religion is supernatural in nature.

I wish it were that simple, but: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definition_of_religion

The definition of religion is a controversial subject in religious studies. Some scholars define "religion" as a cultural system of behaviors and practices, others as a "comprehensive worldview" or a "moral community called a church". Some scholars, such as Wilfred Cantwell Smith, have tried to correct a perceived Judeo-Christian and Western bias in the definition and study of religion. Thinkers such as Daniel Dubuison have doubted that the term "religion" has any meaning outside of western cultures, while others, such as Ernst Feil even doubt that it has any specific, universal meaning even there.

Does this mean they can't agree to define what they're studying? :wgrin:

Yes!!

That's why they study all kinds of stuff and call it "religious studies": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_studies

...the multi-disciplinary academic field devoted to research into religious beliefs, behaviors, and institutions. It describes, compares, interprets, and explains religion, emphasizing systematic, historically based, and cross-cultural perspectives....

...religious behavior and belief from outside any particular religious viewpoint...draws upon multiple disciplines and their methodologies including anthropology, sociology, psychology, philosophy, and history of religion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious ... eligion.22

Throughout the history of religious studies, there have been many attempts to define the term "religion". Many of these have been monothetic, seeking to determine a key, essential element which all religions share, which can be used to define "religion" as a category, and which must be necessary in order for something to be classified as a "religion". There are two forms of monothetic definition; the first are substantive, seeking to identify a specific core as being at the heart of religion, such as a belief in a God or gods, or an emphasis on power. The second are functional, seeking to define "religion" in terms of what it does for humans, for instance defining it by the argument that it exists to assuage fear of death, unite a community, or reinforce the control of one group over another. Other forms of definition are polythetic, producing a list of characteristics that are common to religion. In this definition there is no one characteristic that need be common to every form of religion.

Causing further complications is the fact that there are various secular world views, such as nationalism and Marxism, which bear many of the same characteristics that are commonly associated with religion, but which rarely consider themselves to be religious.

Conversely, other scholars of religious studies have argued that the discipline should reject the term "religion" altogether and cease trying to define it. In this perspective, "religion" is argued to be a Western concept that has been forced upon other cultures in an act of intellectual imperialism. According to scholar of religion Russell T. McCutcheon, "many of the peoples that we study by means of this category have no equivalent term or concept whatsoever". There is, for instance, no word for "religion" in languages like Sanskrit.

It's cray cray.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:43 am

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
LunaNik wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
LunaNik wrote:
LunaNik wrote:
Thank you for clarifying your distinction. Also, where exactly did Jesus say, "Thou shalt picketh and chooseth the laws of Man thou feeleth are worthy to obey?" I don't recall that directive.
.


That is because you do not know your bible.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 Test all things; hold fast what is good.

Regards
DL

LOL. Apparently, you don't know your Bible. That's not a teaching of Jesus; that's one of Paul's. And if you subscribe to Paul's ideologies, there are more specific ones regarding secular laws.
1 Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except by God’s appointment, and the authorities that exist have been instituted by God. 2 So the person who resists such authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will incur judgment 3 (for rulers cause no fear for good conduct but for bad). Do you desire not to fear authority? Do good and you will receive its commendation, 4 for it is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be in fear, for it does not bear the sword in vain. It is God’s servant to administer retribution on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore it is necessary to be in subjection, not only because of the wrath of the authorities but also because of your conscience.
—Romans 13:1-5

Or, if you prefer:
1 Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work.
—Titus 3:1

Perhaps you'd prefer Peter's thoughts on the subject:
13 Be subject to every human institution for the Lord’s sake, whether to a king as supreme 14 or to governors as those he commissions to punish wrongdoers and praise those who do good.
—1 Peter 2:13-17


I am a Gnostic Christian and we naturally disrespect the organizations created for social manipulation and control, like religions and governments. I naturally lean towards the self-thinking wisdom of scriptures as compared to the quotes you put that advise what is only good for brain dead sheeple who want to be led around by the nose.

That is not to say that if the advice or laws of those control organizations are good, I would ignore them. If I agree with them then I accept them. If I do not agree, I fight them.

Regards
DL

This is irrational. What you subscribe to is an "organization created for social manipulation and control," because it is a religion. Your arguments that it's not a religion don't hold water; it includes the concept of a deity. However, you're hypocritical about it, because you accept some of Christianity's tenets, but not others. Jesus was very specific about this:
17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have not come to abolish these things but to fulfill them. 18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth pass away not the smallest letter or stroke of a letter will pass from the law until everything takes place. 19 So anyone who breaks one of the least of these commands and teaches others to do so will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever obeys them and teaches others to do so will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you, unless your righteousness goes beyond that of the experts in the law and the Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
—Matthew 5:17-20
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:59 am

Gord wrote:Throughout the history of religious studies, there have been many attempts to define the term "religion". Many of these have been monothetic, seeking to determine a key, essential element which all religions share, which can be used to define "religion" as a category, and which must be necessary in order for something to be classified as a "religion". There are two forms of monothetic definition; the first are substantive, seeking to identify a specific core as being at the heart of religion, such as a belief in a God or gods, or an emphasis on power. The second are functional, seeking to define "religion" in terms of what it does for humans, for instance defining it by the argument that it exists to assuage fear of death, unite a community, or reinforce the control of one group over another. Other forms of definition are polythetic, producing a list of characteristics that are common to religion. In this definition there is no one characteristic that need be common to every form of religion.

Causing further complications is the fact that there are various secular world views, such as nationalism and Marxism, which bear many of the same characteristics that are commonly associated with religion, but which rarely consider themselves to be religious.

Conversely, other scholars of religious studies have argued that the discipline should reject the term "religion" altogether and cease trying to define it. In this perspective, "religion" is argued to be a Western concept that has been forced upon other cultures in an act of intellectual imperialism. According to scholar of religion Russell T. McCutcheon, "many of the peoples that we study by means of this category have no equivalent term or concept whatsoever". There is, for instance, no word for "religion" in languages like Sanskrit.

It's cray cray.

Crazy, yes, but I think the religious studies folks are muddying the waters unnecessarily. The definition of "religion" isn't limited to monotheism, and I don't think it matters whether a particular language has a word that's comparable. Their word could mean "way of life" if their religion is that deeply ingrained into their culture, but it's still a religion, and we need a common word with which to discuss it. Also, I disagree that secular zealotry equates to religion, regardless of the fact that they may share some characteristics.

Gnostic Bishop's brand of Christianity certainly is a religion, despite his claims to the contrary. He may be thinking that only organized religions are actually religions, but that's not true to the definition, else we wouldn't need the term "organized religion."
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 541
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:33 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote: ... I naturally lean towards the self-thinking wisdom of scriptures ...


Self-thinking wisdom of scriptures? Scriptures think? Who knew? :roll:


You got my poor grammar.

Aspect would have been a better word.

I naturally lean towards the self-thinking aspects of scriptures.

You will have to allow some leeway as I am not well educated and am also French.

Thanks for the correction.

I am still not completely happy with using the wod aspect but nothing better is coming to ma tête.

Regards
DL

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 541
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:36 pm

Flash wrote:Gnostic Bishop wrote:
... I naturally lean towards the self-thinking wisdom of scriptures ...

Yeap, the wise scriptures written by people who were too stupid to invent underwear and thought that lightening was caused by angry gods.


There is no argument that there is a lot of garbage in scriptures, but that does not mean that it is all garbage.

If you read it the esoteric ecumenist way, you will get quite a bit out of it, including this accurate description of Yahweh.

“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”
― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

Regards
DL

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 541
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:48 pm

LunaNik wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
LunaNik wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
LunaNik wrote:
LunaNik wrote:
Thank you for clarifying your distinction. Also, where exactly did Jesus say, "Thou shalt picketh and chooseth the laws of Man thou feeleth are worthy to obey?" I don't recall that directive.
.


That is because you do not know your bible.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 Test all things; hold fast what is good.

Regards
DL

LOL. Apparently, you don't know your Bible. That's not a teaching of Jesus; that's one of Paul's. And if you subscribe to Paul's ideologies, there are more specific ones regarding secular laws.
1 Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except by God’s appointment, and the authorities that exist have been instituted by God. 2 So the person who resists such authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will incur judgment 3 (for rulers cause no fear for good conduct but for bad). Do you desire not to fear authority? Do good and you will receive its commendation, 4 for it is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be in fear, for it does not bear the sword in vain. It is God’s servant to administer retribution on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore it is necessary to be in subjection, not only because of the wrath of the authorities but also because of your conscience.
—Romans 13:1-5

Or, if you prefer:
1 Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work.
—Titus 3:1

Perhaps you'd prefer Peter's thoughts on the subject:
13 Be subject to every human institution for the Lord’s sake, whether to a king as supreme 14 or to governors as those he commissions to punish wrongdoers and praise those who do good.
—1 Peter 2:13-17


I am a Gnostic Christian and we naturally disrespect the organizations created for social manipulation and control, like religions and governments. I naturally lean towards the self-thinking wisdom of scriptures as compared to the quotes you put that advise what is only good for brain dead sheeple who want to be led around by the nose.

That is not to say that if the advice or laws of those control organizations are good, I would ignore them. If I agree with them then I accept them. If I do not agree, I fight them.

Regards
DL

This is irrational. What you subscribe to is an "organization created for social manipulation and control," because it is a religion. Your arguments that it's not a religion don't hold water; it includes the concept of a deity. However, you're hypocritical about it, because you accept some of Christianity's tenets, but not others. Jesus was very specific about this:
17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have not come to abolish these things but to fulfill them. 18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth pass away not the smallest letter or stroke of a letter will pass from the law until everything takes place. 19 So anyone who breaks one of the least of these commands and teaches others to do so will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever obeys them and teaches others to do so will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you, unless your righteousness goes beyond that of the experts in the law and the Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
—Matthew 5:17-20


Jesus also said that God was within us and that makes the earth heaven and it will not pass away any time soon, I hope.

Gnostic Christian Jesus said, "If those who attract you say, 'See, the Kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you.
If they say to you, 'It is under the earth,' then the fish of the sea will precede you.
Rather, the Kingdom of God is inside of you, and it is outside of you.
[Those who] become acquainted with [themselves] will find it; [and when you] become acquainted with yourselves, [you will understand that] it is you who are the sons of the living Father.
But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."

The law of the prophets is the Golden Rule. Right?

Has that been accomplished in the sense that we all live by it? No.

Jesus thus failed in his mission. Likely because he had not perfected his morality and sense of justice. That is evidenced by many of his sayings and policies.

Particularly odious is his no-divorce policy which is anti-love as it forces people to live in loveless or abusive situations and his substitutionary atonement policy which no moral human judge would ever follow.

If Jesus is connected with God via the Trinity concept, then his morals are demonstrably satanic just as Yahweh's are.

Regards
DL

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 541
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:54 pm

LunaNik wrote:
This[/color][/b] is irrational. What you subscribe to is an "organization created for social manipulation and control," because it is a religion. Your arguments that it's not a religion don't hold water; it includes the concept of a deity. However, you're hypocritical about it, because you accept some of Christianity's tenets, but not others. Jesus was very specific about this:
17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have not come to abolish these things but to fulfill them. 18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth pass away not the smallest letter or stroke of a letter will pass from the law until everything takes place. 19 So anyone who breaks one of the least of these commands and teaches others to do so will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever obeys them and teaches others to do so will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you, unless your righteousness goes beyond that of the experts in the law and the Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
—Matthew 5:17-20


There is no Christian that hold to the Christian tenants or believes in Jesus, according to what Jesus said.

He said that anyone who believed in him could do all he did and more.

Are you ready to call Jesus a liar by denying my claim that their are no true believers?

Regards
DL

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8245
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Poodle » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:20 pm

OK - I'm calling a high temperature or a kidnapping. GB, your grammar is normally pretty good and your spelling faultless. Are you sure this is really you?

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 541
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:31 pm

I would reply but do not know what you are talking about.

I do think I do ok in my writing for a poorly educated Frenchman.

My poor writing would not look quite as you describe without auto-correct.

Regards
DL

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:00 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
LunaNik wrote:What you subscribe to is an "organization created for social manipulation and control," because it is a religion. Your arguments that it's not a religion don't hold water; it includes the concept of a deity. However, you're hypocritical about it, because you accept some of Christianity's tenets, but not others. Jesus was very specific about this:
17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have not come to abolish these things but to fulfill them. 18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth pass away not the smallest letter or stroke of a letter will pass from the law until everything takes place. 19 So anyone who breaks one of the least of these commands and teaches others to do so will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever obeys them and teaches others to do so will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you, unless your righteousness goes beyond that of the experts in the law and the Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
—Matthew 5:17-20


Jesus also said that God was within us and that makes the earth heaven and it will not pass away any time soon, I hope.

Gnostic Christian Jesus said, "If those who attract you say, 'See, the Kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you.
If they say to you, 'It is under the earth,' then the fish of the sea will precede you.
Rather, the Kingdom of God is inside of you, and it is outside of you.
[Those who] become acquainted with [themselves] will find it; [and when you] become acquainted with yourselves, [you will understand that] it is you who are the sons of the living Father.
But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."

The law of the prophets is the Golden Rule. Right?

Has that been accomplished in the sense that we all live by it? No.

Jesus thus failed in his mission. Likely because he had not perfected his morality and sense of justice. That is evidenced by many of his sayings and policies.

Particularly odious is his no-divorce policy which is anti-love as it forces people to live in loveless or abusive situations and his substitutionary atonement policy which no moral human judge would ever follow.

If Jesus is connected with God via the Trinity concept, then his morals are demonstrably satanic just as Yahweh's are.

Regards
DL

I'll only make some final points, then I'm out, because this discussion is going nowhere.
1. You've not proven that what you subscribe to is anything except a religion. It includes a deity and has supernatural elements that you cannot prove with science. It has a sacred text that delineates rules which you follow. It's a religion.

2. Like all religionists, you believe that your religion is moral, while other religions are immoral. You make some minor exceptions for religions you deem to be similar to yours.

3. Like all sects, you pick and choose the parts of the sacred text with which you agree, and eschew the rest by using logical fallacies. Simultaneously, you deem that all other sects using the exact same sacred text are immoral and wrong, either because they've chosen different parts to follow, or because they've interpreted the same parts differently from your interpretation.

4. Like all religionists, you believe you have all the answers. You present themes that you claim to wish to discuss, but it's really a ruse to give you an opportunity to proselytize, self-aggrandize, and give you a false sense of moral superiority. This is clearly proven by the fact that you refuse to entertain any ideas except your own, and the fact that you present these themes in a skeptics' forum, a place you know your ideas will be challenged not only with scientific fact, but also with your own sacred text.

5. Personally, I bear you no ill will. If Gnostic Christianity is the path you choose to follow, I hope it brings you fulfillment. But when you are cavalierly passing judgment on billions of Christians and Muslims who are moral and law-abiding, remember that Jesus said, "Judge not lest ye be judged," then climb down off your pedestal ever so carefully before you fall from it.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:18 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:I do think I do ok in my writing for a poorly educated Frenchman.

The quality of your English writing is generally impeccable, with nuances that are not accounted for by autocorrect. In contrast, that last post is a disaster of (pun intended) biblical proportions.
Gnostic Bishop wrote:There is no Christian that holds to the Christian tenants tenets or believes in Jesus, according to what Jesus said.

He said that anyone who believed in him could do all he did and more.

Are you ready to call Jesus a liar by denying my claim that their there are no true believers?

It's a waste of time to use these particular types of logical fallacies with a skeptical atheist. The appeal to authority doesn't work because I don't recognize Jesus as an authority. And the appeal to force doesn't work because I don't fear things or people that don't exist.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 541
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:40 pm

LunaNik

You have made up your mind about what Gnostic Christianity is all about while ignoring what I say we are all about, so indeed, we are not getting anywhere.

One thing I would like you to provide though if you are reading this.

You say Gnostic Christians have a deity.

What is the name of that deity?

Regards
DL

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7642
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby TJrandom » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:37 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote: ... What is the name of that deity?


You don`t know? Yikes! Wiki will help you.... :mrgreen:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnosticism#Highest_God

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11138
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:49 pm

Thanks Tj---I am under read in all things Religious....but I did think Gnosticism was akin to spiritualism without a god head. Like everything else, I assume it varies from one sect to another, one true believer to another?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7642
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby TJrandom » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:52 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Thanks Tj---I am under read in all things Religious....but I did think Gnosticism was akin to spiritualism without a god head. Like everything else, I assume it varies from one sect to another, one true believer to another?


I`m not really the right person to ask - feeling over-read when it comes to religion. I simply used google since I didn`t know the answer to that question.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11138
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:57 pm

TJrandom wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Thanks Tj---I am under read in all things Religious....but I did think Gnosticism was akin to spiritualism without a god head. Like everything else, I assume it varies from one sect to another, one true believer to another?


I`m not really the right person to ask - feeling over-read when it comes to religion. I simply used google since I didn`t know the answer to that question.


Knowing when its time to use Google is a quite righteous wisdom that all too many lack.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:38 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:You have made up your mind about what Gnostic Christianity is all about while ignoring what I say we are all about, so indeed, we are not getting anywhere.

I've arrived at an objective conclusion after an examination of the facts. Your description is subjective, since you are participant and believer in the religion in question. It's also anecdotal. However, it's interesting that you object to my conclusion—which is not a judgment of you as a person, but merely a conclusion that Gnostic Christianity is a religion—when you've "made up your mind" about billions of Christians and Muslims, not by considering them as individuals, but by painting with a broad brush and judging them based on their religion.
Gnostic Bishop wrote:You say Gnostic Christians have a deity. What is the name of that deity?

Is this supposed to be a trick question? Your religion includes the concept of a "true god" who brought forth from within him the substance from which everything was created, although you don't credit him with the actual creation. He subcontracted that part out, although he apparently chose the lowball bidder, since you folks consider the universe to be flawed. I misremember what his name is, or whether he even has a name other than "God." Frankly, it's unimportant. You have a deity; it's a religion.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29477
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Gord » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:59 am

Gnostic Bishop wrote:I do think I do ok in my writing for a poorly educated Frenchman.

edumacated

I think.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE


Return to “The Letting Go of God Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests