Why Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Religious People?

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Why Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Religious People?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:41 pm

I didn't know/think that was "generally true" until reading the short article with that name/theme. Although, I probably came pretty close thinking that "scientists" were generally atheists and smarter than average....but I have met many intelligent people who do espouse religion...so, I thought it was emotional or environmental. But no: its brain power/bias/training..... etc. Gee...I think I just threw myself back in "some" doubt?===well, if you give the IQ test to a group and there is a marked difference.... how can the link be denied????

I do want to save the link and go back and read some of the linked articles too.

Problem solvers rather than problem acceptors? I like it.

http://www.realclearscience.com/article ... eople.html
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Why Are Smarter People Generally Less Religious?

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:07 pm

:pardon:

Spoiler:

:heh:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: Why Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Religious People?

Postby Gord » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:20 pm

I dunno, maybe they aren't. Here's one counter-view from roughly 4 years ago: http://strangenotions.com/atheists-higher-iqs/
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:01 pm

An interesting thought experiment......given what intelligence "is"==>what "should be" a difference between the smart and the not quite there?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:37 pm

you could say athiests in general are closed off from their own intuition and inner self...which non-athiests embrace....many athiests can't see the forest for the trees....
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:45 pm

Gorgeous: do you realize you are agreeing with the Link/OP? I assume that is not your intent..... but I don't trust my intuition.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:52 pm

too bad....the great ones like Einstein did trust their intuition... I don't know if athiests are smarter...they may value formal education more.....they may also spend all their time debating pointlessly while more aware people are traveling out of body and learning about our multi-dimensional existence......there are all kinds of intelligence...there are doctors and scientists who have little understanding of how to treat people for instance...and don't forget evil...like the Nazi scientists...intelligence isn't everything....you need a well developed soul to be a great person...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:56 pm

ahhhhhhh.......I'm pretty sure Einstein confirmed his intuition with "math" and is famous for not following his intuition on a number of issues.

Call it: alt facts.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:00 pm

seth -----"A person with several existences stressing intellectual achievement
might purposely then decide upon a life in which mental abilities are
beyond him, and the emotions allowed a full play that he had denied
them "earlier. " ---you need a good balance to be well developed as a human being...

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:06 pm

The OP is about a simple correlation, implying causation, between intelligence and atheism. All having ZIP to do with the other admirable qualities that distract you so. As you have no intuition towards this, the express emphasis on this relevance should be rewarding to you........ as a balanced person.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:10 pm

op is saying believers are dumb...typical...

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:12 pm

op says "Atheist Generally Smarter than Religious People." There are dumb people in both camps....and even the third camp of generally smarter people if you get the word play.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:13 pm

gorgeous wrote:seth -----" ---you need a good balance to be well developed as a human being...

How would an imaginary alien know what makes a good human being? Jane Roberts, who invented Seth the alien died of alcoholism. :D
Jane Roberts.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:26 pm

Why are atheists generally smarter than religious people?

Because we is.
This is a sentence. tHi5 iz a seN+3nce oN drUgs!!!

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"--sign seen at Occupy Wall St. protest.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:02 pm

I believe that the Flynn effect is based on better training methods rather than actually improved genes.
Atheist have less access to readymade answers and therefore need ways to judge different ideas and, more importantly, be able to live with the ambiguity of not knowing.
This is a sort of mental training that isn't necessary for cradle-to-grave believers.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Return to “The Letting Go of God Forum”