If you don't love this article....

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

If you don't love this article....

Postby nmblum88 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:31 pm

.... you are dead.
But should you be alive, it is a sweet way to start a day:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/12/02/science/bees-pollen-senses.html?rref=collection

NMB

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Re: If you don't love this article....

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:48 pm

Why do you enjoy being infantilized?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:51 pm

We leased a small corner of our farm to a beekeeper. In January and February there are a couple of species of willow and poplar that produce pollen. On warmer days, bees will forage for it. The next day there would be hundreds of bee corpses littering the snow. Many foragers did not make it back to the hive before the temperature fell too low for them to fly. Even so, the beekeeper said the hive as a whole gained quite a lot of pollen during those months, and that that harvest was often the difference between a healthy vibrant hive in spring and one which was failing.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:59 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Why do you enjoy being infantilized?

I can't answer that.... my motivations for my behaviors and for my responses to life' pleasures and pains are as mysterious to me, as yours undoubtedly are to you.
That said, when did you last receive an invitation to use all your senses?
Or for that matter any?
May I assume that you actually read the entire article?
And that you did not love it?
One down.

Norma Manna Blum

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:44 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:We leased a small corner of our farm to a beekeeper. In January and February there are a couple of species of willow and poplar that produce pollen. On warmer days, bees will forage for it. The next day there would be hundreds of bee corpses littering the snow. Many foragers did not make it back to the hive before the temperature fell too low for them to fly. Even so, the beekeeper said the hive as a whole gained quite a lot of pollen during those months, and that that harvest was often the difference between a healthy vibrant hive in spring and one which was failing.

Interesting... thanks. Oleg.
So far in the saga of "My life with Bees" cold has not been the problem. At least where I live in Sourthen California, it is the now chronic drought that makes life difficult (and even tragic) for them: the death rate is high and discouraging.
But of the wonders of bee keeping (I'm really new at it and have two consecutive disasters) is that despite the bee being , by nature, so rigidly programmed, iconoclasts exist within the hives, and much as what happens in their life cycle and in the honey making process is rather wildly unpredictable.

I bought my hives (four of them) from a man who had been at it for 80 years, and was at 954 forced to cease what was to him a labour of love....
Part of his charm and what attracted me to the process itself was that he was that he LOVED his bees, and was (and still is) a gushing fountain of bee stories, including over a thousand photographs of his much loved charges that were virtually with repetition.
Who knew that beens could be so photogenic, as captivating?

Knowing virtually nothing about bees, above what I learned in a New York City Elementary School, as well as that I am (still) a bit afraid of them when they buzzed around me in my garden, I was enchanted with what seemed like such a narrowly focused animal life was actually so full of variety as well as surprises.
But more than just the bees, more than the honey, more than the beauty of my hives that give us and the passersby such pleasure is the reinforcement of the idea that with the bees as with anything else living, there is instruction: the more you learn, the more you want to learn.
Just as the more you love, the more you love, including bees.

The poet Khalil Gibran: "People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees."

NMB

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:35 am

nmb==make it two down and my question unanswered. Of course...I use all my senses, its what being a gourmet cook and a gourmond consumer is all about: a fine glass of wine over a nice simple meal with music in the background with fine seasoned applewood burning in the fireplace anticipating the beast with two backs to make its appearance.

Whats that buzzing noise?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Return to “The Letting Go of God Forum”