Awesome Science, Awesome Technology....

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Re: Awesome Science, Awesome Technology....

Postby TJrandom » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:45 am

Nice - thanks for posting...

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:08 am

Yeah.... on no basis at all, I'll guess the two different missions will collect two wholly different samples....unless we already know they are composed of the same stuff....little black carbon pebbles? THEN it would be redundant.... or confirmation.

I can't think of anything discoverable that will change anything though. Probably a better spend of that money on something else. Yeah.... I know.... sacrilege. But lets take the best case: some kind of reproducing life, frozen or otherwise, is found on the asteroid. So what?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Poodle
Has More Than 7K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:01 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote: ... I can't think of anything discoverable that will change anything though. Probably a better spend of that money on something else. Yeah.... I know.... sacrilege. But lets take the best case: some kind of reproducing life, frozen or otherwise, is found on the asteroid. So what?

Oh bobbo!

"The more important fundamental laws and facts of physical science have all been discovered, and these are so firmly established that the possibility of their ever being supplanted in consequence of new discoveries is exceedingly remote."

Albert A. Michelson

Too true it's sacrilege!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:23 pm

Whats sacrilege is to spend precious resources on a subject that makes no difference. We discover some base elements of life on an asteroid. I say again: so what? That doesn't prove thats how life got started on Earth....nor would the absence of anything on an asteroid prove life did not start by seeding from ... space generally, or Mars more recently.

You see the logic of the so what? Science may go wherever there is a question.... but money should not. That should be, but probably isn't, one of those Trading Rules by those big eared guys on Star Whatever.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Poodle
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Poodle » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:31 pm

Science these days ain't cheap. And you can say so what all you like - we still have no idea what remains to be discovered. I quoted Michelson to illustrate just how wrong a very erudite person can be.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:06 pm

Value systems are not right or wrong. And we do have ideas about what remains to be discovered (like whats on an asteroid) .... and too much of it is irrelevant in a cost restricted real world (like whats on an asteroid). Why not go discover more consequential/informative facts of the universe? EDIT: I do assume these mission are multi-tasked? If some thought is given or expertise developed on how to move an asteroid on an Earth Collision course then I say the combined missions are worthwhile and good. If only one or the other: cancel them. But I have my doubts.

.........Farengi...Deep Space 9? An awful show with too few funny bits. SEEEEEEEEEE!!!! Science is not the only value laden field of inquiry in which we waste money.

Every spare dime should be spent on combating Fossil Fuel....until then.... its all a waste. Another value statement.... not held as dear as the other one.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:40 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Value systems are not right or wrong. And we do have ideas about what remains to be discovered (like whats on an asteroid) .... and too much of it is irrelevant in a cost restricted real world (like whats on an asteroid). Why not go discover more consequential/informative facts of the universe? EDIT: I do assume these mission are multi-tasked? If some thought is given or expertise developed on how to move an asteroid on an Earth Collision course then I say the combined missions are worthwhile and good. If only one or the other: cancel them. But I have my doubts.

.........Farengi...Deep Space 9? An awful show with too few funny bits. SEEEEEEEEEE!!!! Science is not the only value laden field of inquiry in which we waste money.

Every spare dime should be spent on combating Fossil Fuel....until then.... its all a waste. Another value statement.... not held as dear as the other one.

Human curiosity , learning for the sake of learning, knowing for the sake of knowing, particularly about who and what we are, and how we got to be whatever it is, is not only one of the human animals most salient characteristics it is at the heart of what we label "civilization."
However, not all humans have it.

Nevertheless, credit is given to the many based on the pursuits and talents of the few.

When the poets write, and the sirens sing of the "nobility of man, his beauty, his capacity for love and joy," " clearly they are not speaking of ALL of us,just those who provide us with the pith and promise that makes for our possibilities: thus art, thus science.
Some of us are just along for the ride.
(Thus bookkeepers.)

NMB

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:49 pm

I take your thought as my own which only emphasizes if the discovery of knowledge is good in and of its self...which I think it is.... why not do that AND MORE... by discovering new things that are rank prioritized as more beneficial? What is the loss....exactly??? In fact... there is GREAT BEAUTY in maximizing one's efforts.... as opposed to frittering away one's limited resources.

What will whats on an asteroid do to help mankind as opposed to discovering how to be fossil fuel independent?

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:55 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:I take your thought as my own which only emphasizes if the discovery of knowledge is good in and of its self...which I think it is.... why not do that AND MORE... by discovering new things that are rank prioritized as more beneficial? What is the loss....exactly??? In fact... there is GREAT BEAUTY in maximizing one's efforts.... as opposed to frittering away one's limited resources.

What will whats on an asteroid do to help mankind as opposed to discovering how to be fossil fuel independent?

Another thing about that remarkable glory of the animal kingdom: genus homo can walk and chew gum at one and the same time.
Sometimes whether he wants to or not.

NMB

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:06 pm

nmb: unrelated sidebar not responsive in substance. Did you think it was?

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:10 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:nmb: unrelated sidebar not responsive in substance. Did you think it was?

Looked for substance.
And undoubtedly it was my fault - I wasn't wearing my glasses... but it seemed to be missing.
That DOES tend to happen.

NMB

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:21 pm

nmb--you are painted into a corner. If my post had no substance, your response should have pointed that out.

As my post DOES have substance, the identification of the rank order of various "good" things to do and the limitations of resources to be applied, then indeed as stated your response is completely off point.

Either way........... be honest, be direct, learn and grow.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:28 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:nmb--you are painted into a corner. If my post had no substance, your response should have pointed that out.

As my post DOES have substance, the identification of the rank order of various "good" things to do and the limitations of resources to be applied, then indeed as stated your response is completely off point.

Either way........... be honest, be direct, learn and grow.

Please define 'good' without reference to subjective evaluations.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:44 pm

Good: Having desirable or positive qualities especially those suitable for a thing specified

I always (should) use the dictionary.... as should you. On point: discovering what "is" in the Universe is a desirable or positive thing for hoomans to do...as is rank ordering such desires and applying the right resources to them.

This discussion really heats up when discussing the desirability of Universal Healthcare and the Death Panels that are necessitated thereby. Values. In a limited World of resources and an unlimited World of desires. Fun stuff.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:07 pm

I predict that they will find life. Not just signs of past lives - but real, current, life. One of two types are most probable - either pebble eaters, or pebble defecators. I am sort of hoping for the former, since we have so many pebbles floating around in some of the heads of posters – or so I have been warned. :D

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:11 pm

Throwing them off balance? :-P

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:28 pm

TJrandom wrote:I predict that they will find life. Not just signs of past lives - but real, current, life. One of two types are most probable - either pebble eaters, or pebble defecators. I am sort of hoping for the former, since we have so many pebbles floating around in some of the heads of posters – or so I have been warned. :D

Pebble shitters more likely. Else the asteroid would disappear.

Photosynthesis for energy; feeding on the solar wind; shitting pebbles. Wouldn't that be awesome?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Poodle
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Poodle » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:28 pm

Tell me how big those pebbles are and then I may or may not agree with you.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:01 pm

Poodle wrote:Tell me how big those pebbles are and then I may or may not agree with you.

Why... it`s right there in the OP link... 500 meters... a monster of a pebble shitter asteroid - so those pebbles are between teensy, and 500 meters.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:52 am

It's about time they start bringing some stuff back to balance out all the material we shot off and away from the wobbly... :roll:

Flash
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Flash » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:01 am

Discovering the origin of life my ass. NASA is not interested in a pile of rubble flying in space. They want to to know what kind of an alien spaceship is hiding behind it. :shock:
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:16 am

Maybe they suspect it is a Stone Age spaceship - the whole 500 meters, and those pebbles are their weapons... :roll:

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:05 pm

Flash wrote:Discovering the origin of life my ass. NASA is not interested in a pile of rubble flying in space. They want to to know what kind of an alien spaceship is hiding behind it. :shock:

Tsk.... what happens when skepticism morphs into incurable cynicism.

Yours seems innocent enough... the reality being that most space exploration not related to weather is funded, when at all, because of military prerogatives, ALIENS certainly not among them.

That's the unfortunate truth, and an embarrassing one.,
Disheartening.
Tragic.

Nevertheless, that dispirited reality doesn't, can't, diminish the drive, the overpowering human desire to find out more and more, about who we are, where we came from, and why we matter (or not ) in our fascinating environment.
And it certainly doesn't negate this: that our universe and beyond is a thing of incomparable beauty: the aesthetic can't be denied, and it DOES COUNT..
We are made better richer, simply be being invited to the observations.

NMB
P.S. So far the only aliens to have actually invaded other planets are THE US.

NMB

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:12 pm

read the truth-----Dark Mission: The Secret History of NASA, Enlarged and Revised ...

https://www.amazon.com/Dark.../dp/1932595481

Amazon.com, Inc.
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:13 pm

explain this guy please NMB...no one has... https://youtu.be/a7uqP46zdsA
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:18 pm

Poodle
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:47 pm

Is there any possibility, no matter how remote ...

...that gorgeous will stop peddling this {!#%@} in every thread she can get her hands on?

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:58 pm

please explain the unexplained aliens^^^^

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:17 pm

Poodle wrote:Is there any possibility, no matter how remote ...

...that gorgeous will stop peddling this {!#%@} in every thread she can get her hands on?

Oh, Poodle... for Christ's sake.. it's ALL peddling.
Stop acting as if this is a citadel of scientific achievement: it isn't.
It's an internet Forum: and so far no Einstein has presented himself here to set a standard for membership.
gorgeous just wants to have some good, old fashioned fun on behalf of a long discredited .... no matter the number of subscribers.... idea.
I doubt that s/he believes any of it him/herself.

No matter.
Because no Darwinist - or in fact anyone who has actually read "Origin of Species"-- is likely to be corrupted by what gorgeous is peddling any more than any Darwinist is going to be created by what is peddled in a chat room

Norma

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:18 pm

Darwin believed in God...and aliens are real...in denial about the greys?^^^

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:26 pm

gorgeous wrote:Darwin believed in God...and aliens are real...

Darwin believed in god.
Before he didn't.
And then what he ha been brought up to believe, was called into (for him( painful doubt.
A common dilemma face by traditionally educated humans in the last days of inviolate religious beliefs.

However, faced with what he recognized as EVIDENCE of evolution, Darwin proceeded, even with his shaken Christian credos. to pursue the study of what we now accept as verifiable....EVOLUTION of species on a plant,in a solar system, that is billions of years old.
You are free to believe what you like.... which is an entirely different concept..

NMB
Last edited by nmblum88 on Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:28 pm

evolution is a theory,not proven...I could see God having created all and set some on a course to evolve and change when needed....but humans are not apes and did not come from apes...

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:32 pm

gorgeous wrote:evolution is a theory,not proven...

No.... and "NO" no matter how ofter you repeat that now simply silly statement.
Evolution is not a theory,but a theses for which there in now overwhelming amounts of supportable evidence.

And no copying long mythologies out of discredited internet sources is going to change that.
Don't despair, however: it has improved your typing.
Every cloud.......

NMB

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:34 pm

gorgeous wrote:evolution is a theory,not proven..

How many times have you posted that and how many times has it been refuted?

Here's an honest challenge for you Gorgeous: what is the most common or strongest argument or response you get when you post this statement?

Honestly.

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:41 pm

not proven...there is more and more evidence of intelligent design though....and btw.....why the names Osiris rex?...... read about the occult history of NASA.... more illum brainwashing of the public... ---

The Udjat eye represents the eye of the god Horus. He was a solar god and was represented by a falcon or a falcon headed god.

Horus, the son of Isis and of Osiris, was a god whose attributes appealed strongly to the Egyptians from one end of Egypt to the other.

ALL-SEEING EYE -- The All-seeing eye originated in Egypt in those Satanic Mysteries which God physically judged during the time of Moses, when he lead the Israelites out of the land by the mighty hand of God. The All-Seeing Eye was representative of the omniscience of Horus, the Sun God, (Magic Symbols, by Frederick Goodman, p. 103, Satanic symbols book). As one Masonic book says, "These considerations lead us to an interesting topic, the Eye of Mind or the Eye of Horus ... and conveying the idea of the 'All seeing Eye'. The end set before the Egyptian neophyte was illumination, that is to be 'brought to light'. The Religion of Egypt was the Religion of the Light". (Thomas Milton Stewart, The Symbolism of the Gods of the Egyptians and the Light They Throw on Freemasonry, London, England, Baskerville Press, Ltd., 1927, p. 5)

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:43 pm

The Aeon of Horus: NASA's Occult History - Jim Nichols UFO Art

thewebmatrix.net/jimnicholsufo/horus.html

The Aeon of Horus: NASA's Occult History. The spectacular launch of Apollo 11 in 1969 seemed a noble expression of the full potential of rational, human, ... ---------------------------------Jack Parsons: Occultism, Magic and the Birth of NASA JPL

www.spacesafetymagazine.com › Engineering › Rocket Design

Aug 2, 2013 - What NASA has in common with Aleister Crowley, the wickest man in the world, and Ron Hubbard, ... Jack Parsons and the Occult Roots of JPL.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:46 pm

gorgeous wrote:evolution is a theory,not proven...I could see God having created all and set some on a course to evolve and change when needed....but humans are not apes and did not come from apes...

LOL...
By all means, gorgeous... stick to your story.,
It doesn't matter: the die is cast: creationism has been proven to be, as an idea, simply obsolete: nothing about such a theory has any substance whatever..
And accept my apologies for interrupting your day-dreams: I had momentarily forgotten what a foolish enterprise it is to talk about evidence with the god-addled, and I was just wasting time until god saw fit to clear the clouds from the California sky (while he drowned the rest of the country), just so I could go fishing.

NMB
P.S. Be as happy that you are not an ape, as I am happy for you.
NMB

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:49 pm

soooo.....no explanation for the ^^^ aliens?...thought so.....and why were the pyramid and all seeing eye put on the dollar bill ?? why are they all obsessed with Egypt?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:56 pm

Gorgeous.... good on the mindless repetition, not so good on an honest challenge. Nothing new.

Return to “The Letting Go of God Forum”