Teleological language

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
Lausten
Persistent Poster

Teleological language

Postby Lausten » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:36 pm

My blog post here has a link to a podcast. From that, I developed the questions in the blog.
The first three questions are fairly obvious to most atheists, with these answers

Evolution
Yes, No, could be
No

Then it gets interesting.

I put them here because the first 3 didn't get handled well in the podcast, they moved on too quickly. They try to discuss the other questions, but with things like "monotheism led to science" hanging out there, I'm not sure they'll get anywhere. I'm trying to get them to come back and discuss these in more depth. Jump in if you want.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts

Re: Teleological language

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:05 pm

I see the blog...don't see the link.

Re monotheism...are the Greeks still credited with being the early scientist....with their panoply of Gods notwithstanding?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:16 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:I see the blog...don't see the link.

Re monotheism...are the Greeks still credited with being the early scientist....with their panoply of Gods notwithstanding?

It's the first sentence, at the top.

"early scientist" would be a term with not much agreement. I think Richard Carrier would agree it was the Greeks, sometime around the 1st century or earlier. I've been to a lot of museums and have never seen a test tube that old. The word "science" comes much later, but the idea of experimenting is much older. I could go on, but in the context of the questions, I'm referring to "modern science", starting 500 to 700 years ago.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:52 am

Thanks. I think its bad style not to link with words that make the conneciton (See podcast here). Such attitudes also spring from monotheism?

IE--600 years ago there were no multi-god systems of note so of course Modern Science did not arise in polytheistic times...but the science that did, we discount.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:27 am

Why did science have to arise from any theism at all? Other than a very general statement about how God (or gods) were an early theory about order in the universe, I have never heard of a connection from the one philosophy to the other.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:22 pm

Exactly correct. Post hoc, ergo proctor hoc. Its a good start at finding causation, but not dispositive at all.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:19 pm

So, like I said, easy for you and I to agree with the first 3 questions.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:00 pm

Yeah, except I'm not an atheist. I'm an Anti-Theist. I would reject the "authority" of God...even if he did exist, however that might be.

Return to “The Letting Go of God Forum”