Getting High

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
Lausten
Persistent Poster

Getting High

Postby Lausten » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:14 am

Ryan Bell has an incredible ability to find good guests. And he's growing as an interviewer. If you look up the book, titled in this post's subject line, by the guest Kerster Brewin, it says it is about the human quest for flight. But as the interview tells you, someone suggested he dig deeper into the human aspiration side of it. He ends up making a connection from the early looking up to the clouds for something to explain who we are, to the current quest for connected minds through technology. He touches on other failed attempts at expanding our souls, like LSD and various movements of the last century, and he notes they ALL fail. He notes the religious language around the moon landing and Kurzweil's "singularity". They all fail to focus on the people around you, the ones that you can actually help and be helped by. We look up or we look inward and miss what is going on around us.

If you are looking for a break from that other thread, this is a good one.

He doesn't mention them specifically, but I would bet he would include counter-culture movements like organic food and herbal remedies and other anti-science movements. These are the ones that most bother me because I embraced them for so long. I can understand why people hang on to their cultural traditions into their older years, because it's a hell of lot easier. It's one thing to be arguing with my Trump supporting Uncle, but I can't have coffee with my yoga teacher without stepping on one toe or another because I don't know what freaking color my crown chakra is or something.

I've invested a lot in those relationships and building my support groups, but I've also invested a lot in determining what's right based on good reasons. Like hell if I'm just going to trade one set of purity codes for another.

Anyway, enjoy the podcast.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Re: Getting High

Postby gorgeous » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:36 am

expand your soul how? many had great lsd trips and great experiences in counter culture stuff..
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Re: Getting High

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:47 am

Lausten wrote:I've invested a lot in those relationships and building my support groups, but I've also invested a lot in determining what's right based on good reasons. Like hell if I'm just going to trade one set of purity codes for another.

Hmmm...I forget which social group I rejected first....family or peers. Indeed, the road less traveled.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Return to “The Letting Go of God Forum”