THE human brain …..

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

THE human brain …..

Postby nmblum88 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:52 pm

… not necessarily MY brain or YOUR brain, is endlessly interesting and continually revealing.

This week's contribution to the understanding of the incredibly complicated control center that distinguishes man from the other animals…
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/29/science/brain-scans-math.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fscience&action=click&contentCollection=science&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=2&pgtype=sectionfront

NMB

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 7K Posts

Re: THE human brain …..

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:14 am

Episode 4 out of I don't know how many "The Brain" by David Eagleman was on PBS last night. It was about "empathy" and the pathways of the brain that are used to process that. Seems that when we "see" others in pain...the same parts of the brain light up that do when we ourselves are in pain: aka: "empathy." And it appears as a hard wired characteristic of hoomans as 6 month old babies demonstrate the empathetic reaction.

The brain. Who knows how it might further evolve?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:24 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Episode 4 out of I don't know how many "The Brain" by David Eagleman was on PBS last night. It was about "empathy" and the pathways of the brain that are used to process that. Seems that when we "see" others in pain...the same parts of the brain light up that do when we ourselves are in pain: aka: "empathy." And it appears as a hard wired characteristic of hoomans as 6 month old babies demonstrate the empathetic reaction.

The brain. Who knows how it might further evolve?

Because I can't just assume that your question is rhetorical I will throw caution to the winds, and respond: "certainly not I."
NMB

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:28 am

Me neither. Hopefully Episode No 5? We could "Sy-Fy" it to about any direction we wanted to....even without dna splicing???

I almost added...." if Global Warming doesn't kill us off first."....but I didn't want to tarnish such an important hypothetical.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:31 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote: It was about "empathy" and the pathways of the brain that are used to process that. Seems that when we "see" others in pain...the same parts of the brain light up that do when we ourselves are in pain: aka: "empathy." And it appears as a hard wired characteristic of hoomans as 6 month old babies demonstrate the empathetic reaction.

Why do humans laugh? / Empathy?
I am suspicious that innate human empathy, for others and ourselves simultaneously, has something to do with human humour. Think of every joke someone has told you. There is, in most cases, "a victim". I'm pretty sure that laughter is a pretty complex behavioural "thingy" and the reason we mostly laugh at a joke is because it didn't happen to us......but we sympathise with "the victim".

To look at this another way, I don't think anyone could write down a description of what makes a funny joke funny. I think this is because there is a whole lot of innate stuff going on in our heads when we laugh. I don't think we can consciously set down all the parameters of a good joke.

My father used to talk to me about aggressive raw human insults. He thought the same thing was going on "in bits" with each word. A "dead-shit" makes no sense in reality, yet it's the most common raw slag-off in Australia. Dad used to add the word "dead" in front of other insulting words and ask me me if the new insult was more insulting or not. It was a bit weird but I understood where he was coming from. However, it didn't work.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:43 am

Smart Matt: a keen insight. I've never heard "dead-shit" before in my life....yet it strikes me as extra insulting. Hmmm...dead-simple, dead-easy...all I can think of, not insulting at all. But I can think of lots of adjective that are negative themselves that make nouns more insulting.

Fun with words.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:56 am

Isn't it a stronger term to use because death is absolute?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:00 am

Dead wrong?

Return to “The Letting Go of God Forum”