The Risk of Avoiding the Unknown, The Risk of Avoiding Risk - draft book exerpt, looking for critique

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
Transcix

Re: The Risk of Avoiding the Unknown, The Risk of Avoiding Risk - draft book exerpt, looking for critique

Postby Transcix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:36 am

Poodle wrote:
Transcix wrote:
Poodle wrote:Gord is perfectly correct - belief system is NOT hyphenated and there's absolutely no reason to think it would be.

Transcix, it's all too wordy. Your sentences are too long and complex. Most readers will have forgotten the point by the time they reach the full stop.

To cap it all, you are writing for entirely the wrong reasons, as evidenced by your own words ... "... do you know how to be real and engage with the idiot religious people?" Evidently, you don't.

Incurring has two R's and it's duly, not dully.

Bye.

Are you {!#%@} correcting me on my orthopaedics?.. this, for the record, since you are not referring to an excerpt of my text, does NOT qualify as constructive criticism..

I see you're a live one, Transcix. Orthopaedics? :lol:

I am correcting you on your style (and I'm fully qualified to do so) which is dense, over-complex and incorrectly aimed. This is, of course, in perfect agreement with the phrase 'constructive criticism'. So here's some more ...

You are not here to present your work. You are here to show the world how clever you think you are. Your command of linguistics in general and the English language in particular is not what you appear to believe it is. It is over-complex and can only lead to reader fatigue and, consequently, a loss of information transmission.

Now get off your high horse and stop pretending to know what you're talking about. You came here, you said, to show us your work. We've seen the excerpts which, as they are your choices, we would expect to be typical and correct. They're certainly not correct in form or spelling. A little more attention to detail and less effort on the construction of Miltonesque sentences would do you a power of good.

4/10 so far. Must try harder.

Live? No, much more than that. You have corrected exactly nothing of my writing, you have fulfilled nothing of my stated requests, you have only assumed that I am somehow a narcissist, when the exact opposite is the case. You have treated me as if I have professed that God must exist and that religion must be vital to living, when I have, more than any other person that I've ever known or read, elucidated the best case against just such a thing. I know that you're full of BS because I know that I don't give a {!#%@} about how anybody perceives me, nor do I have any intention of generating any stream of revenue by the graces of people having "confidence" in me.

I have shown you no excerptS PLURAL, rather I have shown you the entire beginning of the book that I'm writing, leaving nothing out. All that text is in the exact sequence that I would intend it to be published in eventually.

I have long thought that my book would be not only too skeptical for those who are spiritual but also too remarkable for those who are reservedly skeptical, and indeed my latter fears have here been fully confirmed, though I'm heartened that it's but a small sample-size and I remain extremely hopeful for the overall eventual success of my book and the good that it will do for skepticism at large.

Transcix

Re: The Risk of Avoiding the Unknown, The Risk of Avoiding Risk - draft book exerpt, looking for critique

Postby Transcix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:44 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:1. .........The first sentence of my book could be construed as a quote, or an adage, or however you want.. OK?.. it's a phrase that I came up with, and yes I must specify this for obvious copyright reasons, and it can be referred to as a quote, or an adage, or a sentence, or whatever have you!.. /// You need to buy a dictionary .... and use it. A quote is defined by having openning and closing quote marks to denote it as such. Your first sentence has no such indicators. Good think I have commented on your opus as now you can go back and add them. I agree it starts with an adage, but then you mangled it. Yes, definitely a sentence...subject and verb...right there. And yes to whatever have you (sic) as that is a tight tautology. I thought you were inviting comments on the what of the have you? Or were/are you only trolling for compliments?

Are you insane??? This is a damn discussion forum and I didn't feel the need to italicize everything that would otherwise in the proper book be italicized. I assumed that it would be understood that it was a sort of opening word. So if my estimations were off in this regard, that still gives you no right to insult me. I won't entertain your further remarks, for your comments are based only in aggressive emotion and not whatsoever in logic. You are a poor excuse for a skeptic!

Transcix

Postby Transcix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:49 am

I should say that such discrimination is nothing new to me, indeed throughout the years of this book's writing I have experienced far too many similar episodes from people just like those who have hitherto posted on this topic.. of course nobody ACTUALLY wants to be realistic.. what a SORRY state of affairs, especially for a forum that labels itself as "skeptical" above all.. those of you who actually grasp my writing, you wouldn't, you TRULY WOULDN'T believe me, if I told you, the extent of the discrimination and prejudice that I've faced in trying to get this {!#%@} out into the public.. people are {!#%@} afraid of truth.. I'm not talking about Reptilian NWO anti-vaxxer anti-GMO anti-science BS, I'm talking about LOGIC.
Last edited by Transcix on Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:50 am

Transcix wrote:You have treated me as if I have professed that God must exist and that religion must be vital to living,

Where did Poodle do that? Copy and paste please.

Transcix wrote: when I have, more than any other person that I've ever known or read, elucidated the best case against just such a thing.
You need to know more people and read more/better books.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:52 am

Transcix wrote:... All that text is in the exact sequence that I would intend it to be published in eventually ...

You're not very good with prepositions, either.

You remind me of several other people who've come to this site proclaiming their genius. However, on you go with your project. Self-publishing has become quite common now, which is fortunate for you and your "too remarkable" book.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:07 am

Poodle: don't you owe our good author a rewrite for example's sake? The main critique I would give it is your own: too wordy....so the preposition issue is mostly lost on me. I don't do well with propositions myself.....subject/verb agreement either...gee...practically illiterate I am. Ha, ha. BUT: I do enjoy a good criticism. Even wrong ones. I don't get the hurt feelings at all.

Lets see: All that text is just as I would have it published. /// Any better?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:14 am

100% better, bobbo. Yours is perfectly correct English. Transcix's is plain wrong. Most English-speaking human beings fall foul of the rules of prepositions (the standard joke being that a preposition is the wrong word to end a sentence with). However, I think it would be natural to expect more of a genius.

My editorial services are available at the going market rate.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:18 am

To be fair, that wording is just in this thread and not his polished thesis? Big difference there, heat of the moment and all.

As stated....to create is very difficult, especially compared to nattering nay-sayers of negativity. Maybe I got off too fast....I almost want to read after the first sentence, but Smart Matt's review put me off of doing that.

Point is: if the rest of the material explains/justifies the first sentence.........it still doesn't matter. first Sentences should always stand on their own: quotes or not.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:36 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:To be fair, that wording is just in this thread and not his polished thesis? Big difference there, heat of the moment and all.

Oh, I completely agree with you, bobbo. Normally, I'd ignore it - but I take exception to the use of convoluted sentence construction used to a) make the author appear super-intelligent and b) disguise a badly-researched thesis. Just call me old-fashioned.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:43 am

Transcix wrote:
Gord wrote:
Transcix wrote:[Oh great, this is as far as I can get right now, I keep getting pulled away from the computer. I might be able to go through more of it tomorrow.]
Are you kidding me???

No. About what?

Additionally, ellipses generally have three dots (...) rather than two.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Transcix

Postby Transcix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:34 pm

Gord wrote:
Transcix wrote:
Gord wrote:
Transcix wrote:[Oh great, this is as far as I can get right now, I keep getting pulled away from the computer. I might be able to go through more of it tomorrow.]
Are you kidding me???

No. About what?

I was frustrated that you chose to post after having read so little, rather than refraining from posting altogether until a bit more was read, but I just finished listening to Trump's final conventional speech, so I do apologize for my lack of patience. :)

Overall, I stand by my first sentence. "When the sane tend to be taken as insane, then it can seem as though cleverness and insanity are woven from the same cloth, but in fact the truth is just the opposite." In my view, when cleverness and insanity are taken to be woven from the same cloth, then this weakens the grip of logic and opens the door to faith. For example, look at the ever so popular Doctor Who television series, where the good doctor is so virtuous because he takes it upon himself to carry the universe on his shoulders and nearly drives himself insane from the weight of it, as if such torment is somehow noble rather than inefficient. It ignores any notion of cutting one's self sufficient slack. Always there is hope, as long as one tries hard enough, despite the odds (which makes for great television suspense). Oh the drama. It's as if ordinary sanity has failed, and what's instead required is divine inspiration or divine intervention. To hell with sanity, it just gets in the way of the power of belief! Sanity can't heal the wound, that eternal wound of the universe's tears, it's not sanity that can calm the mind and improve awareness, rather it's something beyond one's self.. despite the fact that the most basic definition of sanity is to have a calm and controlled mind and stable and clear awareness. If it's not sanity that a person seeks then what, is it insanity?.. how can this question even be asked, to what depth has discourse of the matter thus sunk if such a question could be begged? Sanity is good, insanity is the opposite and is to be avoided, but convoluted faith-based messages of abandoning the mind in order to conjure up some rose-colored emotions, these faith-based messages do so obscure the issue!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:59 pm

Transcix wrote:
Gord wrote:Overall, I stand by my first sentence. "When the sane tend to be taken as insane, then it can seem as though cleverness and insanity are woven from the same cloth, but in fact the truth is just the opposite." In my view, when cleverness and insanity are taken to be woven from the same cloth, then this weakens the grip of logic and opens the door to faith.
///But nobody makes that equivalence.........except YOU. Thats the hole in your philiosoply. Sane doesn not mean the same as IN sane. You see the difference?

Transcix wrote:
Gord wrote:In my view, when cleverness and insanity are taken to be woven from the same cloth, then this weakens the grip of logic and opens the door to faith. !
Ummm .... you mean, when something is undeniably self contradictory or makes no sense at all, then we are talking Religion?.... Well........... I agree. Rave on.

Transcix wrote:
Gord wrote: For example, look at the ever so popular Doctor Who television series,
Why would any rational person do THAT?............Oh..............I get it. The religious would............ Never Mind.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:31 pm

While life’s most essential philosophical questions can seem like a Pandora's box in the grandeur of their complexity, it's precisely due to the overarching, all-encompassing breadth of their complexity that they're relevant, that they must be discerned in order to successfully navigate through the thick of an entire universe’s worth of questions. Just like it’s best to rip a band-aid off quickly rather than slowly, the immediate arduousness of posing difficult questions about reality is desirable whereas the eventual arduousness from sticking with easy, lazy questions is undesirable.

You're not good with words. Not at all. I'm guessing you won a few arguments and now you think you're awesome. You know some big words. That sets you above most, but in the above there is misuse of commas, run-on, facts introduced and never supported or defined, accusations made, and general disorganization. It's basically your stream of consciousness. Go make an outline, learn what a paragraph is for and come back in a couple years.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:08 pm

Transcix wrote:
Gord wrote:
Transcix wrote:
Gord wrote:
Are you kidding me???

No. About what?

I was frustrated that you chose to post after having read so little, rather than refraining from posting altogether until a bit more was read, but I just finished listening to Trump's final conventional speech, so I do apologize for my lack of patience. :)

I read the whole thing, I just don't have time to reply to it all.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Transcix

Postby Transcix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:56 pm

Lausten wrote:
While life’s most essential philosophical questions can seem like a Pandora's box in the grandeur of their complexity, it's precisely due to the overarching, all-encompassing breadth of their complexity that they're relevant, that they must be discerned in order to successfully navigate through the thick of an entire universe’s worth of questions. Just like it’s best to rip a band-aid off quickly rather than slowly, the immediate arduousness of posing difficult questions about reality is desirable whereas the eventual arduousness from sticking with easy, lazy questions is undesirable.

You're not good with words. Not at all. I'm guessing you won a few arguments and now you think you're awesome. You know some big words. That sets you above most, but in the above there is misuse of commas, run-on, facts introduced and never supported or defined, accusations made, and general disorganization. It's basically your stream of consciousness. Go make an outline, learn what a paragraph is for and come back in a couple years.

I started to write something in defence of the passage you quoted, but then I deleted it. The reality is that you have offered no constructive criticism, no specific points for me to work with, and thus I am left with nothing to say, except to point out that you have given me some unsolicited guesses of yours, thanks for that,. I have left that little comma there for you as a gift, I hope it doesn't upset you, indeed perhaps you might even laugh, after all in this crazy world one can only either laugh or cry.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:14 pm

Lausten made accurate comments, should you be open to same.

Here's a specific that popped out for me: its okay as a first draft, but one should avoid using the same dare I say big word twice in the same sentence...or even paragraph. Arduousness in this case. As a matter of style the form of the word is awkward as well. Use arduous. Don't know what your yammering on about has to do with ripping bandaids off fast either.

Just a mess. Not yet a word salad...I fear that is your ultimate goal?

Transcix

Postby Transcix » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:35 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Lausten made accurate comments, should you be open to same.

Here's a specific that popped out for me: its okay as a first draft, but one should avoid using the same dare I say big word twice in the same sentence...or even paragraph. Arduousness in this case. As a matter of style the form of the word is awkward as well. Use arduous. Don't know what your yammering on about has to do with ripping bandaids off fast either.

Just a mess. Not yet a word salad...I fear that is your ultimate goal?

Excuse me but I don't only want to reach out to those who easily comprehend text, I also want to reach out to those who *don't* easily comprehend text, therefore I repeat nouns often, yes.. this should be obvious.. it's a book for *everyone*..

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:36 am

Whats broken in you?

Transcix

Postby Transcix » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:34 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Whats broken in you?

Exactly nothing, relatively speaking of course.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:44 am

Transcix yesterday wrote:no belief-system ever advocates for its followers to incur increased levels of suffering.
Transcix wrote: They are incuring suffering in order to not incur additional suffering!
....that is their belief system. You're not very bright are you?

Transcix wrote:Are YOU an IDIOT?!
The evidence is pointing the other way. :D

Transcix

Postby Transcix » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:53 am

I'm not even going to dignify this with an answer, for the truth is blatantly obvious and why you would nitpick a legitimate point in such a totally illogical way is utterly beyond me.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:01 am

Didn't god send his only son to live as a hooman to experience suffering that god could remove if he wanted to resulting in many cults featuring self torture as homage to Jebsus for his suffering in life? In the main, that was Christopher (Don't call me Chris) Hedges' complaint about Maria Teresa: she relished keeping the poor Alive so that they could suffer and contemplate their sins.

Suffering denotes constipation DEDICATION to a set of ideas.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:08 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Lausten made accurate comments.
Humorously, he is unaware that the editorial board of the Skeptic Society itself, attempts to reach people of all levels of education, by distributing its content in formats ranging from fully cited formal science papers, to lighthearted video skits.

The rule in publishing ( and the entertainment industry in general) is that, if you attempt to make one product that satisfies everyone, then no one will even bother looking at it.

I put forward, that Transcix has, or is about to, self publish his book and is trying to raise some publicity by posting here. He is exactly the same as Edgar Postrado, who is attempting to do the same here, for his self published book on intelligent design.

Edgar Postrado's Self Published book thread
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=26145

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:10 am

Transcix wrote:I'm not even going to dignify this with an answer, for the truth is blatantly obvious and why you would nitpick a legitimate point in such a totally illogical way is utterly beyond me.

You are making conflicting statements. Identifying your flawed logic is not nit-picking. :D

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:02 am

Transcix wrote:
I have long thought that my book would be not only too skeptical for those who are spiritual but also too remarkable for those who are reservedly skeptical, and indeed my latter fears have here been fully confirmed, though I'm heartened that it's but a small sample-size and I remain extremely hopeful for the overall eventual success of my book and the good that it will do for skepticism at large.

Can you get it reviewed in Skeptic magazine?
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:28 am

Monster wrote:Can you get it reviewed in Skeptic magazine?

It would have to be completed first. Monster. I have a little inkling that it hasn't yet got past the first dozen pages.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:49 pm

Transcix wrote:.... is utterly beyond me.

You keep saying that. I think we found the problem.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Return to “The Letting Go of God Forum”