The Risk of Avoiding the Unknown, The Risk of Avoiding Risk - draft book exerpt, looking for critique

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
Transcix

The Risk of Avoiding the Unknown, The Risk of Avoiding Risk - draft book exerpt, looking for critique

Postby Transcix » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:46 pm

Hi there.. I'm writing a book from a skeptical perspective, and I'd like some feedback.. obviously promoting skepticism, especially in the realms of spirituality and religion, is a delicate business.. I believe that my book will have a significant impact in this regard, but since it does walk both sides to some extent, in order to be well met by those who may initially be adverse to skeptical interpretations of their spiritual or religious ideas, I'd like to make sure that it doesn't dissuade skeptical readers on the other hand.. here is the beginning of this book, and all constructive criticism is most welcome!
Last edited by Transcix on Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Re: The Risk of Avoiding the Unknown, The Risk of Avoiding Risk - draft book exerpt, looking for critique

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:52 am

Transcix wrote:Hi there.. I'm writing a book from a skeptical perspective, and I'd like some feedback.. obviously promoting skepticism, especially in the realms of spirituality and religion, is a delicate business.

Just don't do that and especially not here.

It would be as useful as explaining mathematical calculus in terms of pixies and witches, or explaining Newtonian physics in terms of channelling and out of body experiences.

The reason humans believe in strange things is best explored through disciplines such as behavioural psychology or anthropology or even psychiatric illness.

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Re: The Risk of Avoiding the Unknown, The Risk of Avoiding Risk - draft book exerpt, looking for critique

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:06 am

this reminds me of one of the reasons twitter is so popular
for the real minority ; there will be no justice , there will be no peace .
makes sense 2me , so it has 2be wrong .

Transcix

Postby Transcix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:49 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Transcix wrote:Hi there.. I'm writing a book from a skeptical perspective, and I'd like some feedback.. obviously promoting skepticism, especially in the realms of spirituality and religion, is a delicate business.

Just don't do that and especially not here.

It would be as useful as explaining mathematical calculus in terms of pixies and witches, or explaining Newtonian physics in terms of channelling and out of body experiences.

The reason humans believe in strange things is best explored through disciplines such as behavioural psychology or anthropology or even psychiatric illness.

I happen to know from extensive personal experience that I can very effectively change people's minds using the right words--having the truth squarely on my side in these matters, of course--which is why I'm writing this book. I'm curious why you say that this discussion forum is the worst place to address such matters - shouldn't the opposite be true? Can there not be a book written that would promote impetus for people of faith to indeed investigate such things as psychology and philosophy and the like? Hmmmm, do you mean that I picked the wrong sub-forum in which to post, because I must admit that I'm new to these boards..

psychiatry is a scam wrote:this reminds me of one of the reasons twitter is so popular

I don't have Twitter so I don't get your reference.. I don't even have a smart phone.. the book I'm writing is incredibly dense in its language and would be the utterly farthest thing from Twitter considering Twitter's character limit.. the irony is that your one-line response to my lengthy post, devoid of punctuation I might add, is typical of Twitter-speak...
Last edited by Transcix on Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:58 am

Transcix wrote: I happen to know from extensive personal experience that I can very effectively change people's minds using the right words, which is why I'm writing this book. I'm curious why you say that this discussion forum is the worst place to address such matters - shouldn't the opposite be true?

This is a science based forum. The aim is not to change people's minds, as that would be propaganda, but rather educate them into using critical thinking tools, that they can apply to any situation.

We don't tell anyone what to do, but rather offer way for people to assess how to think about things.

With a bit of luck, we can join with other international like minded groups and help people, while having a bit of fun along the way.
Obscestvo_Skeptikov.jpg

The new Russian Skeptic Society with Comrade Пиррон (Pyrrho)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeptic_Society
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Matthew Ellard on Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Transcix

Postby Transcix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:00 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Transcix wrote: I happen to know from extensive personal experience that I can very effectively change people's minds using the right words, which is why I'm writing this book. I'm curious why you say that this discussion forum is the worst place to address such matters - shouldn't the opposite be true?

This is a science based forum. The aim is not to change people's minds, as that would be propaganda, but rather educate them into using critical thinking tools, that they can apply to any situation.

We don't tell anyone what to do, but rather offer way for people to assess how to think about things.

With a bit of luck, we can join with other international like minded groups and help people, while having a bit of fun along the way.
Obscestvo_Skeptikov.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeptic_Society

This is exactly what my book is about. Did you read any of it? You're saying exactly what my goals are. When I spoke of using the right words, I simply meant that I'm good with words, there's always a medium/message line to be drawn, but I never seek to mislead, only to for instance use analogy or metaphor to more effectively express a point of logic which the reader is free to accept or reject.. the excerpt I presented doesn't tell the reader what to believe, merely what not to believe, unless you think that it's inaccurate to point out the fallacy of faith to the world.. for a skeptical forum, this place seems to draw conclusions pretty quickly!..
Last edited by Transcix on Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:01 am

Transcix wrote: This is exactly what my book is about. Did you read any of it? You're saying exactly what my goals are.
I'm an anthropologist. Your book has nothing to do with science. It is fuzzy subjective personal opinion.

Transcix

Postby Transcix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:05 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Transcix wrote: This is exactly what my book is about. Did you read any of it? You're saying exactly what my goals are.
I'm an anthropologist. Your book has nothing to do with science. It is fuzzy subjective personal opinion.

Interesting, I find my book to be devoid of subjectivity as much as humanly possible.. would you be so kind as to constructively point out a passage where I stray into subjectivity?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:06 am

Transcix wrote: Interesting, I find my book to be devoid of subjectivity as much as humanly possible.. would you be so kind as to constructively point out a passage where I stray into subjectivity?

Statistical evidence. Next question :D

Transcix

Postby Transcix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:19 am

You know how dumb the average person is? By definition half of them are even dumber than that. That statistical enough for you? If you have nothing productive to add to this thread, in terms of constructive criticism of my writing, then I would respectfully ask you to refrain from posting additional comments.
Last edited by Transcix on Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:20 am

Transcix wrote:You know how dumb the average person is? By definition half of them are even dumber than that. That statistical enough for you?

.....and?

Transcix

Postby Transcix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:23 am

There can be no such thing as a married bachelor - does this point require the use of statistics in order to be effectively expressed? It's in this vein that I write this book.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:32 am

Transcix wrote:There can be no such thing as a married bachelor - does this point require the use of statistics in order to be effectively expressed? It's in this vein that I write this book.

Well yes it does. As there are no married bachelors they will have no effect on "X". So what are your comparison groups and how does that behaviour correlate statistically to the phenomena you are specifically observing?

Anyone can write "personal opinions". Thousands of people pay vanity publishers to do so. For some reason many people post these vanity publications here on our science forum.

Why would anyone want to read them is dependent on your target audience. Your book is not aimed at us, so why ask us to make an opinion?

Transcix

Postby Transcix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:36 am

I guess you didn't fully read or understand the book excerpt.. if you ask a person of faith if they can have faith in the notion that married bachelors can't exist--if you ask it in the right tone and in the right way--this tends to be rather disconcerting to them.. do you not understand why?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:43 am

Transcix wrote:if you ask a person of faith if they can have faith in the notion that married bachelors can't exist--if you ask it in the right tone and in the right way--this tends to be rather disconcerting to them.. do you not understand why?

Firstly, why would I ask that question?

Secondly, I already know about propaganda techniques, manipulation techniques, interrogation techniques, screen conventions, literary conventions and so on, from behavioural science books and 30 years working in the television and entertainment industry. It is a science.

Transcix

Postby Transcix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:54 am

I have no idea what you're on about. I've been down the rabbit-hole seven ways till Sunday and I've survived and I'm the stronger and the better for it and I want to share what I've learnt.. what in good grief are you spewing about manipulation??? I JUST KNOW HOW TO {!#%@} TALK TO PEOPLE (do you?)..

Transcix

Postby Transcix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:58 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Transcix wrote:if you ask a person of faith if they can have faith in the notion that married bachelors can't exist--if you ask it in the right tone and in the right way--this tends to be rather disconcerting to them.. do you not understand why?

Firstly, why would I ask that question?

You would ask that question to try to dislodge their stupidity.. do you know how to be real and engage with the idiot religious people?.. look, maybe it's quite different between where you and I live, here in Montreal there's not much religion at all and I thank my lucky stars for that.. I hear the phrase "God bless" literally less than once a month, excluding television.. but man there is a bastion of sanity on Earth in some places, so I don't know where you come from, but just relax and try to focus on what the heck I'm saying, please, thank you.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:02 am

Transcix wrote:I have no idea what you're on about. I've been down the rabbit-hole seven ways till Sunday and I've survived and I'm the stronger and the better for it and I want to share what I've learnt.
People who have been through surgery are not surgeons, nor educating surgeons, by offering their opinions of being down the rabbit hole.

Transcix wrote: . what in good grief are you spewing about manipulation???
Transcix three posts ago wrote:-if you ask it in the right tone and in the right way--this tends to be rather disconcerting to them.
This is called manipulation. Read up on cold reading techniques, interrogation techniques and so forth.

Transcix wrote:I JUST KNOW HOW TO {!#%@} TALK TO PEOPLE (do you?)..
In Caps lock "shouting". I think you just destroyed your own claim in one go. :D

Transcix

Postby Transcix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:07 am

In Caps lock "shouting". I think you just destroyed your own claim in one go. :D

I would say that you are a disgrace to the skeptic movement, but I'm quite certain that this is all just a bit of a relatively minor misunderstanding.

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Transcix wrote:I have no idea what you're on about. I've been down the rabbit-hole seven ways till Sunday and I've survived and I'm the stronger and the better for it and I want to share what I've learnt.
People who have been through surgery are not surgeons, nor educating surgeons, by offering their opinions of being down the rabbit hole.

You're putting words into my mouth. If you really wanted to get at the issue then you would have asked me how being down the rabit-hole made me stronger and better, and you would have kept your gunpowder dry for that event. Or is that too coordinated for you? My goodness I hope you don't try to manipulate me!

Transcix wrote: . what in good grief are you spewing about manipulation???
Transcix three posts ago wrote:-if you ask it in the right tone and in the right way--this tends to be rather disconcerting to them.
This is called manipulation. Read up on cold reading techniques, interrogation techniques and so forth.
Perhaps I should say every single thing that comes to my mind without any regard of how it will be perceived by the other person, yes, this would be a good strategy (SARCASM IN CAPITALS).

You know what, Matthew Ellard, if you don't have anything constructive to say then don't say anything at all because I simply don't have time for it. I'll wait for responses from other folks, thank you very much. This book is a serious business of mine, not for any selfish intentions whatsoever, and indeed encapsulates the very essence of this website, so if you could kindly refrain from being the most backwards possible, it would be most appreciated. I apologize if I seem a bit hostile, throughout this exchange I've been listening to Trump's speech on the last day of the Republican National Convention lol..

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:33 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:In Caps lock "shouting". I think you just destroyed your own claim in one go. :D
Transcix wrote:I would say that you are a disgrace to the skeptic movement.........
Gosh thanks. You really know how to talk to people..... :lol:

Transcix wrote:If you really wanted to get at the issue then you would have asked me how being down the rabit-hole made me stronger and better, and you would have kept your gunpowder dry for that event.
Why would I care? Are personal anecdotes all you have got? :D

Transcix wrote:Perhaps I should say every single thing that comes to my mind without any regard of how it will be perceived by the other person, yes, this would be a good strategy (SARCASM IN CAPITALS).
Well you seem to be doing a fairly good job of exactly that, so far......

Transcix wrote:You know what, Matthew Ellard, if you don't have anything constructive to say then don't say anything at all because I simply don't have time for it. I'll wait for responses from other folks, thank you very much.
Feel free. Have you worked out I was manipulating your lack of self control and you responded, by posting in caps lock, while simultaneously claiming to be a great communicator? If you stay on the forum you will see a lot of that going on. It's a fast way of determining your future aims on the forum.

Transcix

Postby Transcix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:37 am

I have complete self-control.. and for the record, yours was a most convoluted approach at determining my future aims on this forum.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:28 am

Transcix wrote:
psychiatry is a scam wrote:this reminds me of one of the reasons twitter is so popular

I don't have Twitter so I don't get your reference.. I don't even have a smart phone.. the book I'm writing is incredibly dense in its language and would be the utterly farthest thing from Twitter considering Twitter's character limit.. the irony is that your one-line response to my lengthy post, devoid of punctuation I might add, is typical of Twitter-speak...

I'm pretty sure you got the reference then, if he's suggesting that on twitter there is a character limit which would preclude long posts that he finds hard to read.

Transcix wrote:Hi there.. I'm writing a book from a skeptical perspective, and I'd like some feedback.. obviously promoting skepticism, especially in the realms of spirituality and religion, is a delicate business.. I believe that my book will have a significant impact in this regard, but since it does walk both sides to some extent, in order to be well met by those who may initially be adverse to skeptical interpretations of their spiritual or religious ideas, I'd like to make sure that it doesn't dissuade skeptical readers on the other hand.. here is the beginning of this book, and all constructive criticism is most welcome!

:wave: hi.

While not all belief-systems place equal emphasis on the goal of freedom from suffering, surely no belief-system ever advocates for the inverse of this goal, no belief-system ever advocates for its followers to incur increased levels of suffering. Even if a belief-system stresses the importance of self-sacrifice for the greater good, still that belief-system must characterize itself not as a path of suffering but just the opposite as a path of freedom from suffering, for to accept suffering without ever looking to relief from it, to be resigned to everlasting suffering, is surely the height of insanity. It appears, then, that all belief-systems—Christianity, Satanism, Buddhism, atheism, etc—despite the significant extent to which their respective tenets overlap in contradiction, possess a common denominator, as they all advocate freedom from suffering over the perpetuation of suffering for their followers.

Atheism isn't a belief system. (And I'm not sure if you should hyphenate "belief-system" like that, it looks...weird.)

While it may be argued that the masses are sleepwalking through life and find it 'easier' to passively accept suffering than to actively pursue freedom from suffering, a sober view of the situation must conclude that were a person so mired in suffering as to throw their hands up in defeat and give up on life, still they couldn't give up on the goal of freedom from suffering any more than they could bite their own teeth. Clearly the identification of freedom from suffering as a worthwhile pursuit is a realization of the most elementary and commonsensical order, indeed a person doesn't need to study philosophy in order to realize they don't like to suffer, but if the goal of freedom from suffering is obvious, far less obvious is the means of pursuing the goal's achievement.

I'm pretty sure "commonsensical" isn't a real word. Even "sensical" isn't an accepted word, although I have seen it used. I think just using "common-sense" would work.

Some belief-systems are more optimistic or pessimistic than others, yet while a belief-system may apparently gain followers by portraying humanity's potential optimistically, such optimism does nothing to necessarily assist the progress of that belief-system's followers. While many belief-systems assert that the fundamental nature of reality is one of abundance and that limitations are only illusion, their assertions in this regard obviously have yet to remedy the situation of suffering in the world. That many belief-systems devote so much emphasis towards how marvelously abundant is the fundamental nature of reality, this is really rather silly, for regardless of reality's specific level of abundance or scarcity people will always inevitably strive to take from reality as much as they can handle. Surely the allure of abundance shouldn't have to be dangled in order to coax people away from suffering, indeed nothing in all of existence is more naturally repelling than suffering.

I don't know what "suffering" is. You may need to explain your definition of "suffering". A lot of people like to suffer in order to complain, or even to experience pleasure. I don't know if it's considered "suffering" if you find enjoyment because of it, though.

I've heard a lot of people say that suffering is necessary, and that we should endure it, and that it builds character. And of course Linus from the Peanuts was given to voice a quotation that's stuck with me since childhood: "Man was born to trouble as the sparks fly upwards." (I never did figure out what that meant, to my satisfaction, but it's related to suffering: https://biblioklept.files.wordpress.com ... .jpg?w=739 )

[Oh great, this is as far as I can get right now, I keep getting pulled away from the computer. I might be able to go through more of it tomorrow.]
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:29 am

Transcix wrote:no belief-system ever advocates for its followers to incur increased levels of suffering.

Are you 100% sure about that? :D

You also haven't done any basic fact checking. We just had one of those loony Filipinos, who nails himself to a cross, posting on this forum. I spent time in India and attended the "self inflicted pain for god" ceremonies. Do you know what a cilice is in the Catholic Church?

Do you realise your lack of basic research now makes the rest of that excerpt you posted, absolutely worthless?
:D

Forms of religious self torture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiBmr1diEbE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0kgWelgRfM

Transcix

Postby Transcix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:43 am

They are incuring suffering in order to not incur additional suffering! Obviously I am familiar with this! Are YOU an IDIOT?! Temporary pain can lead to long-term gain according to many doctrines! Are you confusing the short-term with the long-term? If this skeptical board will not give me the light of day then I shall dully be on my way in short order for f's god damn sake...

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:09 am

Gord is perfectly correct - belief system is NOT hyphenated and there's absolutely no reason to think it would be.

Transcix, it's all too wordy. Your sentences are too long and complex. Most readers will have forgotten the point by the time they reach the full stop.

To cap it all, you are writing for entirely the wrong reasons, as evidenced by your own words ... "... do you know how to be real and engage with the idiot religious people?" Evidently, you don't.

Incurring has two R's and it's duly, not dully.

Bye.

Transcix

Postby Transcix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:15 am

Poodle wrote:Gord is perfectly correct - belief system is NOT hyphenated and there's absolutely no reason to think it would be.

Transcix, it's all too wordy. Your sentences are too long and complex. Most readers will have forgotten the point by the time they reach the full stop.

To cap it all, you are writing for entirely the wrong reasons, as evidenced by your own words ... "... do you know how to be real and engage with the idiot religious people?" Evidently, you don't.

Bye.

Are you {!#%@} correcting me on my orthopaedics?.. this, for the record, since you are not referring to an excerpt of my text, does NOT qualify as constructive criticism..
Last edited by Transcix on Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Transcix

Postby Transcix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:20 am

Gord wrote:
Transcix wrote:[Oh great, this is as far as I can get right now, I keep getting pulled away from the computer. I might be able to go through more of it tomorrow.]
Are you kidding me???
Last edited by Transcix on Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:23 am

Transcix wrote:When the sane tend to be taken as insane, then it can seem as though cleverness and insanity are woven from the same cloth, but in fact the truth is just the opposite..

I lost interest at the first sentence. Lets look:

1. When the sane tend to be taken as insane, //// I'm thinking that is a clash of values or politics when it actually occurs...unless one is talking common culture as opposed to rigorous medical diagnoses...so I'm thinking right off the bat you are confusing the two applications of the notion of sanity.

2. then it can seem as though cleverness and insanity are woven from the same cloth, /// Ah...ok you are clearly in the pop culture aspect of the concept...and I agree as this is a simple truth. Usually only for "a little bit" as opposed to full bore

3. but in fact the truth is just the opposite. ////Whaaaaa? Holy reversamoley Batman! Wait a minute.................what truth is just the opposite??? That cleverness and insanity are not woven from the same cloth?.............or.............. the clever and/or insane are taken to be as sane???

Gibberish.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Transcix

Postby Transcix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:27 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Transcix wrote:When the sane tend to be taken as insane, then it can seem as though cleverness and insanity are woven from the same cloth, but in fact the truth is just the opposite..

I lost interest at the first sentence. Lets look:

1. When the sane tend to be taken as insane, //// I'm thinking that is a clash of values or politics when it actually occurs...unless one is talking common culture as opposed to rigorous medical diagnoses...so I'm thinking right off the bat you are confusing the two applications of the notion of sanity.

2. then it can seem as though cleverness and insanity are woven from the same cloth, /// Ah...ok you are clearly in the pop culture aspect of the concept...and I agree as this is a simple truth. Usually only for "a little bit" as opposed to full bore

3. but in fact the truth is just the opposite. ////Whaaaaa? Holy reversamoley Batman! Wait a minute.................what truth is just the opposite??? That cleverness and insanity are not woven from the same cloth?.............or.............. the clever and/or insane are taken to be as sane???

Gibberish.

I'm sorry, but if you lose interest at the first sentence, then I lose interest at your first sentence, indeed I read nothing else of what you wrote. Now the interesting thing is, neither of us are equally right, indeed one of us is more right than the other.. I hope this can be deliberated upon by facts rather than assumptions..

EDIT: I've gone against my own statement and read what you wrote, and I regret my decision in this regard. If you can't understand it initially, then maybe you could search within yourself for a modicum of humility by which you may reflect on or contemplate the sentence in question, for I assure you that it does make perfect sense if one is sufficiently able to grasp it. Thank you for the most CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM ON THIS WONDERFUL DISCUSSION FORUM.
Last edited by Transcix on Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:29 am

Giberish...........and dishonest.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Transcix

Postby Transcix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:32 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Giberish...........and dishonest.

Thank you for this most enlightened response, I shall be sure to pass it on to the moderators, if there are any!

Transcix

Postby Transcix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:39 am

Gord wrote:
Transcix wrote:

I'm pretty sure you got the reference then, if he's suggesting that on twitter there is a character limit which would preclude long posts that he finds hard to read.

I have no bloody idea what he was getting at. Ah, OK NOW I GET IT, but not before now........ but still obviously one-liners have no place in serious discourse, the truth of matters is far more intricate than that!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:46 am

Transcix wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Giberish...........and dishonest.

Thank you for this most enlightened response, I shall be sure to pass it on to the moderators, if there are any!

Oh, please don't do THAT. You come to this forum asking for an evaluation of your writing and I give you a very specific critique and you don't even read it. Is that honest?

Isn't any critique better than none? Rejection of the points I raise serving to fortify your pop culture confusion?

The price of admission is that one has to read all that your provide creating a mountain of quibbles...why not test the waters with the first 3 to guage the response.

......................and the response quite revealing.

............................................................................ and the response to that quite revealing again.

........................................................................................................................................................... Surprise us again.

Transcix

Postby Transcix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:50 am

I'm sorry that you didn't understand the introductory quote of my book, a quote which is from me by the way.. I won't spoil if for you, I'll let you discern it for yourself, and if you have anything relevant to say about the book itself then I'll be all ears! Your critique of the quote, by the way, was barely legible.. you speak as if you assume that everyone will automatically understand what you're saying by virtue of the faintest of hints or guidelines.. this is a style of thinking and writing which I expressly sought to avoid in my book.. to the contrary I seek always to be crystal clear.. goodness, how poor would it have turned out had I sought to be any less than that! By the way I've never, not even in grade school, seen someone get so stuck as you are on the first damn sentence! Congratulations for trying so hard to pick a fight!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:00 am

How did I not understand the introductory sentence of your book that was not a quote but rather material that I quoted to start my review? Failure at basic English.

What part did I not understand? The part I agree with.... or the part I disagreed with?

How can agreeing and disagreeing with what you wrote not be relevant?

I wasn't speaking to everyone...but rather to YOU directly.

"I seek always to be crystal clear" //// exactly why I posted...to show you have some work to do.

Why would you think I'm stuck on the first sentence? Isn't that the start of your book? Should I have started bottom up? Perhaps I'm not seeing how clever you are and just left with an impression of you being insane? I read that somewhere.

Transcix

Postby Transcix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:07 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:How did I not understand the introductory sentence of your book that was not a quote but rather material that I quoted to start my review? Failure at basic English.

What part did I not understand? The part I agree with.... or the part I disagreed with?

How can agreeing and disagreeing with what you wrote not be relevant?

I wasn't speaking to everyone...but rather to YOU directly.

"I seek always to be crystal clear" //// exactly why I posted...to show you have some work to do.

Why would you think I'm stuck on the first sentence? Isn't that the start of your book? Should I have started bottom up? Perhaps I'm not seeing how clever you are and just left with an impression of you being insane? I read that somewhere.

Are you a skeptic or a charlatan? The first sentence of my book could be construed as a quote, or an adage, or however you want.. OK?.. it's a phrase that I came up with, and yes I must specify this for obvious copyright reasons, and it can be referred to as a quote, or an adage, or a sentence, or whatever have you!..

You seem to think that I get any joy out of feeling as if I know more than another person?.. this couldn't be farther from the truth, to the contrary I want everyone to be able to think critically!

"When the sane tend to be taken as insane, then it can seem as though cleverness and insanity are woven from the same cloth, but in fact the truth is just the opposite."

OK, to me the meaning of this passage is self-evident, so excuse me but if you wish to inquire as to its exact intended meaning then you'll have to give me something to work with, for to reiterate it I would merely choose to say the same words over again since I see nothing confusing about them in the first place!

Transcix

Postby Transcix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:10 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:How did I not understand the introductory sentence of your book that was not a quote but rather material that I quoted to start my review? Failure at basic English.

Stop right there, please, because I have NO IDEA what you're trying to say!!! You are literally making NO sense!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:How can agreeing and disagreeing with what you wrote not be relevant?

I have NO idea what you're talking about! What do you mean?! I'm curious! This is ludicrous! This should be an intelligent forum and I get you telling me THIS????!!!!! Agreeing and disagreeing and relevant and not relevant????? WHATTTTT?????

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:17 am

1. .........The first sentence of my book could be construed as a quote, or an adage, or however you want.. OK?.. it's a phrase that I came up with, and yes I must specify this for obvious copyright reasons, and it can be referred to as a quote, or an adage, or a sentence, or whatever have you!.. /// You need to buy a dictionary .... and use it. A quote is defined by having openning and closing quote marks to denote it as such. Your first sentence has no such indicators. Good think I have commented on your opus as now you can go back and add them. I agree it starts with an adage, but then you mangled it. Yes, definitely a sentence...subject and verb...right there. And yes to whatever have you (sic) as that is a tight tautology. I thought you were inviting comments on the what of the have you? Or were/are you only trolling for compliments?

2. "You seem to think that I get any joy out of feeling as if I know more than another person?. /// Oh.....I certainly don't think that. Whatever have you leads you to that conclusion? Copy and paste please.

3. OK, to me the meaning of this passage is self-evident, so excuse me but if you wish to inquire as to its exact intended meaning then you'll have to give me something to work with, for to reiterate it I would merely choose to say the same words over again since I see nothing confusing about them! /// I did. Must I reiterate it for whatever have you? follow my example and take my criticism line by line and agree or disagree with explanation. Its right there............... just look. I assume you did go back and actually read what I posted? .................. Maybe not? A full on hard on Umbrage is easier that way.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:24 am

Transcix wrote:
Poodle wrote:Gord is perfectly correct - belief system is NOT hyphenated and there's absolutely no reason to think it would be.

Bye.

Are you {!#%@} correcting me on my orthopaedics?.. this, for the record, since you are not referring to an excerpt of my text, does NOT qualify as constructive criticism..

I see you're a live one, Transcix. Orthopaedics? :lol:

I am correcting you on your style (and I'm fully qualified to do so) which is dense, over-complex and incorrectly aimed. This is, of course, in perfect agreement with the phrase 'constructive criticism'. So here's some more ...

You are not here to present your work. You are here to show the world how clever you think you are. Your command of linguistics in general and the English language in particular is not what you appear to believe it is. It is over-complex and can only lead to reader fatigue and, consequently, a loss of information transmission.

Now get off your high horse and stop pretending to know what you're talking about. You came here, you said, to show us your work. We've seen the excerpts which, as they are your choices, we would expect to be typical and correct. They're certainly not correct in form or spelling. A little more attention to detail and less effort on the construction of Miltonesque sentences would do you a power of good.

4/10 so far. Must try harder.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:32 am

Gee Poodle..........that was beautiful.

Its easy to criticize, hard to create.

You make me feel like writing something and submitting it here for review. But....I will only accept positive comments...I mean, what else is criticism for?

Return to “The Letting Go of God Forum”