In days of yore…..

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

In days of yore…..

Postby nmblum88 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:05 am

If someone here has mentioned it here, please forgive the redundancy:

July 20, 1969, was the day when, as if in answer to one of man's ancient fantasies, a spacecraft landed on the moon, and a young American stepped out: the glory days.
The worlds was intoxicated by the spectacle…. and Americans were for the moment at least, admired even loved by friends and foe alike…

NMB
P.S. Support federally funded tuition aid to all who are qualified to attend colleges and universities: the money is repaid to the nation, a thousand fold.

NMB

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Re: In days of yore…..

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:42 am

Contra to this is a notion I recall from the time that many of the youths of america....those of draft dodging age such as myself...had litle interest in the Moon Landing. It was the activity and achievment of white collar pencil pushers who were not going to Vietnam to kill the Yellow Man.

I watched the moon landing on tv in a tappa bar in Pamplona the night before the first running of the Bulls. James Mitchner described his meeting with our girl friends outside the ring while we dodged bulls on the inside. Drunk every night for 6 weeks. Good times.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:34 am

I remember watching the Moon landing as a kid, on our tiny black-and-white television set. First I felt all goose-pimply about "us" landing on the Moon. Then they showed the American flag waving and I had to ask my father, "Did they just claim the Moon as their own?"

Nothin' like a flag to turn 'us' into 'them'.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:56 pm

Yes, there were other things happening. Civil rights being defended and people dying for them. A celebration of peace of love where two were born and two died. Moon landing in the afternoon and Vietnam on the news that night. They are called "moments".
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:34 pm

Lausten wrote:Yes, there were other things happening. Civil rights being defended and people dying for them. A celebration of peace of love where two were born and two died. Moon landing in the afternoon and Vietnam on the news that night. They are called "moments".

???
Or, they are called "life."

Again, I make no pretense to understanding of what anyone here is talking about…. but I will ask: are you suggesting that a reminder of one event is, by its nature an insult or degradation of another?

Which question reminds me of another anniversary (or "moment") that is creeping up:

Do you think that the admiration for incredible scientific achievement, unimaginable really, of the Manhattan Project automatically precludes any awareness of the totally immoral and virtually indefensible dropping of not one but TWO bombs on the totally defenseless civilians of Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

The human mind .…figuratively of course… CAN and DOES…walk and chew gum at the same time.

NMB

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:50 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Contra to this is a notion I recall from the time that many of the youths of america....those of draft dodging age such as myself...had litle interest in the Moon Landing. It was the activity and achievment of white collar pencil pushers who were not going to Vietnam to kill the Yellow Man.

I watched the moon landing on tv in a tappa bar in Pamplona the night before the first running of the Bulls. James Mitchner described his meeting with our girl friends outside the ring while we dodged bulls on the inside. Drunk every night for 6 weeks. Good times.

I was in boot camp when they landed on the Moon. I went on to kill a {!#%@} load of "Yellow Men". None of whom were yellow.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:16 pm

I was three years away from being born, you bunch of old farts :P
{!#%@} trump!

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:14 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Contra to this is a notion I recall from the time that many of the youths of america....those of draft dodging age such as myself...had litle interest in the Moon Landing. It was the activity and achievment of white collar pencil pushers who were not going to Vietnam to kill the Yellow Man.

WOW … shades of "the Lost Generation."
Damn.. what a dashing fellow you must have been then!!
Not that time has in any way diminished your éclat.
Do you still have your Basque beret?
Your neck scarf, your goatskin b-o-t-a (take that,spellcheck!!)?
Jeez!! How lucky you were to have been able to spend so much time in charming Pamplona!!
Hemingwayesque (there is no other word for it) lucky!

Ordinary tourists (me) just rushed out of town when the Festival ended on the 16th of July.
Envy consumes me.
My romanticism curdled by my bile.
"Viva la Muerte!!"

NMB

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:24 pm

nmb==how can you go to Pamplona and not run the bulls? Course....I never would do it again, so perhaps you got smarter/more empathetic quicker than I did? I did piss off wifey by going to Blarney Castle, walking up to the Roof, and not bending over to Kiss the Blarney Stone. I figured: nice view from here....why wrench my back out to put my lips where some cancer sore was just a few minutes ago? Yea...more elan than I can carry.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:42 pm

nmblum88 wrote:
Lausten wrote:Yes, there were other things happening. Civil rights being defended and people dying for them. A celebration of peace of love where two were born and two died. Moon landing in the afternoon and Vietnam on the news that night. They are called "moments".

???
Or, they are called "life."

Again, I make no pretense to understanding of what anyone here is talking about…. but I will ask: are you suggesting that a reminder of one event is, by its nature an insult or degradation of another?

No, I think others were. You used the word "moment" correctly. Others decided to bring in other tumultuous events of the time. I was directed my comment to them.

nmblum88 wrote:Which question reminds me of another anniversary (or "moment") that is creeping up:

Do you think that the admiration for incredible scientific achievement, unimaginable really, of the Manhattan Project automatically precludes any awareness of the totally immoral and virtually indefensible dropping of not one but TWO bombs on the totally defenseless civilians of Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

The human mind .…figuratively of course… CAN and DOES…walk and chew gum at the same time.

NMB

Not at all. In fact in freshman high school science class, we did short presentations on articles of our choice. I gave mine on an Isaac Asimov piece that spoke of that very phenomenon, that every achievement can and usually does have both good and bad consequences. I don't remember getting any response during the Q&A. The next guy talked about high lysine corn for pigs. Lots of discussion on that! Winamac IN was not known for it's intellectual prowess.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:49 pm

Aztexan wrote:I was three years away from being born, you bunch of old farts :P

Who let the pups in??? Are they housebroken?

HEY, YOU KIDS, GET OFF MY LAWN!!!
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer

Postby OutOfBreath » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:58 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:

Minus 11 myself. (The door was open, and I've broken houses before)

Peace
Dan
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:14 pm

OutOfBreath wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:

Minus 11 myself. (The door was open, and I've broken houses before)

Peace
Dan

Yeah, but you are housebroken, and you are not on my lawn. :P
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:09 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:

I'm telling mom.
{!#%@} trump!

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:05 pm

I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:22 am

Thanks! I've been looking for that.

Right. I had to get up every morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing 'Hallelujah'.

So true, so true....
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:48 am

The day of the moon landing... Yeap. I was there, I can't remember it cauze I think I was really stoned on acid. :beach:
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:05 am

Flash wrote:The day of the moon landing... Yeap. I was there, I can't remember it cauze I think I was really stoned on acid. :beach:

Good on you! :lol:

I was a school kid and all 1500 of us got lined up to watch the moon landing on the school's television set, in the assembly hall. I admit I was pretty excited.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:36 am

I don`t recall where I was... maybe Denver, maybe Tokyo - or somewhere in between> Doesn`t matter I guess - since some say it never happened.

Return to “The Letting Go of God Forum”